• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Somewhat Dangerous Coming Out

Guest NatashaJade

Guest NatashaJade

I don't know if I've mentioned her at all, but I have a student assistant who, over the course of the last three years, has become something of a daughter and friend to me. As she likes to put it, she's "privileged" and I'm not ashamed to say I do play favorites with her, but she's a tech so she doesn't demand leads and she does a huge amount of work for me. Her parents are great people and she is one of a few of my students who I know outside of work (she's going to house sit for us when we go to Disneyland).

So I've been dropping hints to her recently and finally came out to her yesterday, which was not, perhaps, the brightest thing to do. But I really wanted to see how much my students know or realize and she is the only student I have who is trustworthy and has enough riding on my continued employment here not to blow it (she gets a lot of benefits from being privileged). But I did it anyway, by pointing her to my blog. She sent me this note on FB:

You were totally right. It just clicked for me...

And here's where I wonder how I did'nt notice this before...

AH WELL! :D Off to do dishes!

Today we spent an hour talking about shoes and make-up and how no one really suspects anything except that I am leaving soon.

I've been talking to a friend of mine about the loneliness of this and I think that's kind of why I told her. I needed someone not my esposa or my GT, someone who's just really my friend who I see on a regular basis, who I can just be me with.

Am I crazy?

xoxo

Guest sarah f

You are not crazy at all. I think you trusted her enough and didn't want to continue to hide it from her anymore.

That being said I am happy she took the news really well.

• Admin

Yes, I agree with Sarah. I don't think it was crazy or stupid to tell your student. I fully understand your feeling of isolation and loneliness. The need to confide in someone can be overwhelming. Most of us have kept this secret for many years, and when you get to this point, its just too much to expect to keep it all in.

It seems to have worked out well, and for that I'm very happy for you. Looks like you have a real friend there, Tasha.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Yeah, Tash......you took a big chance...a leap of faith...

But, the powers that be smiled on you this time...

I totally understand your motivation, though.....I've done the very same thing myself...

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

Sometimes we just do something, then wonder why we took such a big chance. This one time seems to be okay, but you won't ever know. Once one person knows, its likely the entire world will eventually know. We are just such big news, unfortunately.

But we have needs too, including a desperation for understanding and support.

Catch 22

Lizzy

• Forum Moderator

Tasha,

You have a theater person's instincts about people. Know body language and tone of voice and such that make you an excellent judge of people I am sure. Nor have I ever heard of you being rash. You trusted your judgment with very good results.

Enjoy the delight of this new found relationship. Our isolation can be one of the biggest burdens we bear. And at a ti,e when other things in your life are unusually stressful this will provide some relief and escape.

Hugs

John