• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

New Here

Guest brandi1680

hello everyone,

i am new here, i was in the usmc from 99-02. i live in arkansas and i try to get on hormones through the va here and they kept saying no they wouldn't do or allowed. but i need help to get on hormones very bad. any ideas on getting the va to help me out please

Guest Emily Ray

If one VA won't do what you need than you may need to move. Try going to your patient advocate also. Complain to anyone that will listen call your congressman and senator. I was in the marines from 89-92 ooh-rah! Devil dog.

Huggs

Emily

Guest brandi1680

thanks and simper fi. i am going to ask for another pcp and i hope they should help. should i ask for male or female pcp. but i do have a great cancer doctor. and i have been told i do have GID and they wouldn't put me on hormones :( i wish i can be put on hormones.

Guest Gina9223

Hi Brandi and (HUGS)

um... you say you have a cancer doctor. Just so you know, depending on the type of cancer it may be HRT contra indicated.

To clarify;

>If you have breast cancer then you can not have estrogens or progesterone.

>If you have prostate or testicular cancers then androgen blockers and estrogen are not only ok but part of the treatment process.

Either way, much closer monitoring of your labs are nessassary.

Do go see your patient advocate and discuss why you are being barred from hormone therapy. There are many other VA units that do give HRT (god knows spiro and estrogen is a whopping $7 a month for standard treatment doseages) and there is a VA policy that does allow treatment of us in accordance with the WPATH SOC.

(HUGS) Good Luck.

Guest brandi1680

Hi Brandi and (HUGS)

um... you say you have a cancer doctor. Just so you know, depending on the type of cancer it may be HRT contra indicated.

To clarify;

>If you have breast cancer then you can not have estrogens or progesterone.

>If you have prostate or testicular cancers then androgen blockers and estrogen are not only ok but part of the treatment process.

Either way, much closer monitoring of your labs are nessassary.

Do go see your patient advocate and discuss why you are being barred from hormone therapy. There are many other VA units that do give HRT (god knows spiro and estrogen is a whopping $7 a month for standard treatment doseages) and there is a VA policy that does allow treatment of us in accordance with the WPATH SOC.

(HUGS) Good Luck.

thanks i have mantel cell lymphoma it not the ther kind and my cancer dr said it was okay for me to be on hormones but my pcp told me her boss doesn't allowed me to get hrt