• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Fake Nails

Guest Ariel Mai

Guest Ariel Mai

So I just bought my first pair of fakeif you do them right. I was wondering how many of you guys rock the fake nails? Are they a yeah I like them, or a no fake nails are tacky?

Lots of Love,

Ariel Mai

-Favorite use is that easy to remove before school/ easy to apply after school.

1058315_f260.jpg

Guest Donna Jean

I personally love them....

I used them for a long time because my own nails have problems...

Now I get gels at a salon that last a month...

The fakes were fun and cheap!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest sarah f

Those are pretty nails. I have acrylic nails now that I am full time. I found that they are better for me. The gel nails would still break on me but acrylic nails are stronger and haven't had any problems.

Guest Elizabeth K

Fun - and they can be removed when you get tired of them. Like most full time girls I have had acrylic nails - since November actually. I tried my natural nails - but I was always breaking them and having to mow down the others and start over. Acrylic nails have to be reworked every month $20 - yikes - but the salons do a beautiful job with darker reds nail polish, something I can't get exactly right Plus it is so affirming to get your nails done

Pretty nails. I have mine in French Manicure right now. The white is put on with an airbrush.

We need to have pretty hands - so good, isn't it.

Lizzy

My own nails break way too easily, i get acrylics now and my nails never looked better, unfortunately i have to remove them when i have my surgery, but i will be getting another set as soon as i am able.

Paula

Guest BeckyTG

Ariel Mai,

I love them, those nails rock! They look real enough to me. I used them for years and loved them.

Using them part time highlighted how much long nails feminize your hand movements and finger usage. Men poke at things with the tips of their fingers, women press things with the pads of their fingers. Big difference.

Men also tend to be much harsher with their hand movements, women are very gentle and soft with them. Those nails help remind you of that.

I love nails and yours look fab, girl.

Becky

• Forum Moderator

When I lived female my nails were always a big focus for me.

I'm an artist and loved being able to have the drama or flair I felt like expressing at the time

You can express so much with how you keep your nails and what you wear on them.

Your nails just look so fun and artistic and free spirited. Have fun with them!

Hugs

John

Guest Ariel Mai

Thank you guys so much :), I also like them because they make my fingers look longer because I have like baby sized hands. I think they are fun, also you can just take them off and put a different colour on to match your outfit too :). Once I go full time (day after school ends) I am getting acrylics because I heard that they are amazing, just clueless as to what pattern/colour I should get.

Lots of Love,

<3 Ariel Mai

• Forum Moderator

One thing you can do when you get acrylics is to buy some bling or designs for them and change then as you want or get creative your own way.

After going a couple of times I learned to do my own acrylics because I could do better than most of the nail techs and then did my designs from kits and things I got at beauty supply stores. That way you can change your polish and look as often as you want and not pay a fortune. They have stripes and stones and flowers and designs. It's really fun to see all there is and come up with looks.

Filling the nails every couple of weeks or so is more difficult for me than creating them but after some sore cuticles I got good at it. Depends on how crafty you are and how much you like doing it I guess.

If you do your own first go to a good nail tech and watch carefully. Then get a good kit at a beauty supply and have fun. Getting good brushes and brush cleaner is essential. And I'd really recommend using boards rather than a dremel to do nail prep. Dremels can damage nail beds unless you are an expert with one. A good emery board works as well although is slower. I've used dremels for art since they came out-make dollhouse miniatures and carve with them and I still wouldn't use one on nails.

Whatever way you go-just have fun with it

Hugs

John

Guest Ariel Mai

Thanks for the advice JJ, yeah I think it would be worth it to learn how to do it myself rather than pay 20$ to get them filled. :) Sounds like hard work, but I have a lot of extra time so why not learn how.

Lots of Love,

<3 Ariel

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

The fun thing about acrylics is you don't have to get nail art on them at all. You can just get them whatever color you feel like, or perhaps to go with an outfit you're wearing. If you get tired of the color, a polish change is just $3 (or so).

Speaking of, I may be getting acrylics soon too. I just broke another nail today. That's 3 this week. This Sally Hansen Diamond Strength isn't...well..the nails that did break are on my dominant hand so I guess that's to be expected.

Oh and if you're not used to acrylics or having nails, get them cut down to active/sport length. That way you can get used to having them and functioning with them (ever try tucking with fake nails? it feels like Freddy Kruger is trying to get frisky with you). Then once you're used to them, then get them a little longer. :)

Guest sarah f

The fun thing about acrylics is you don't have to get nail art on them at all. You can just get them whatever color you feel like, or perhaps to go with an outfit you're wearing. If you get tired of the color, a polish change is just $3 (or so).

Speaking of, I may be getting acrylics soon too. I just broke another nail today. That's 3 this week. This Sally Hansen Diamond Strength isn't...well..the nails that did break are on my dominant hand so I guess that's to be expected.

Oh and if you're not used to acrylics or having nails, get them cut down to active/sport length. That way you can get used to having them and functioning with them (ever try tucking with fake nails? it feels like Freddy Kruger is trying to get frisky with you). Then once you're used to them, then get them a little longer. :)

Lizzie you are so right about getting used to them before getting them too long. I don't have mine that long but it took some time to get used to them. I was constantly hitting them on things and that hurts. You don't want to break one because either because of how much it hurts.

Guest audrey michelle

ehhh. my own nails are strong and grow quickly and come out round. never really wore fake nails before and i doubt i willl. my nine year old niece is obsessed with fake nails, haha. yours are pretty though!

Guest MelissaC

I have naturally wide nails, so most fake nails don't fit over them properly.

It's too bad that I can't enjoy the fun of switching them whenever I feel like a change, but then again I'm fine with just doing my own nails anyways.