• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

The Joint Commission

Guest Emily Ray

The Joint Commission is an organization that acredits hospitals and other healthcare facilities. Rather than putting pressure directly on the VA to cover SRS related care maybe we would be able to push the Joint Commission to reduce their score because they refuse to provided the services that are the contemporary standards of care.

Huggs

Emily Ray

Guest Miss_Construe

Emily,

You are my new hero. If I knew how to post flowers and fireworks I would.

That is an excellent idea.

<3

Amy

Guest Emily Ray

I went to their web site and emailed them a question. I won't get a response for a few days, I am hopeful though.

Huggs

Emily

• Forum Moderator

I dunno about that. I've been through a lot of Joint Commission surveys over the years. Typically their focus is on patient safety, Hipaa related procedures and system procedures within a healthcare facility. They also looked at the structure and adherence to fire codes, electrical codes, frequency and depth of service to facility systems and equipment. Joint Commission generally doesn't care what a hospital does, or doesn't, provide for services. If your favorite hospital doesn't do liver transplants or open heart cases for instance, Joint Commission generally doesn't care.

But who knows? Good Luck. Perhaps something positive will come out of it.

• Forum Moderator

I dunno about that. I've been through a lot of Joint Commission surveys over the years. Typically their focus is on patient safety, Hipaa related procedures and system procedures within a healthcare facility. They also looked at the structure and adherence to fire codes, electrical codes, frequency and depth of service to facility systems and equipment. Joint Commission generally doesn't care what a hospital does, or doesn't, provide for services. If your favorite hospital doesn't do liver transplants or open heart cases for instance, Joint Commission generally doesn't care.

But who knows? Good Luck. Perhaps something positive will come out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Emily Ray

Today I received my response from the Joint Commission. It is what I expected and that is OK!

If you ever believe that you are being treated unfairly by the VA then I suggest you file a complaint with the Joint Commission. Here is my question and response.

Original Question:

Is there a standard of care for the treatment of Gender Identity Disorder? The AMA has supported the WPATH Standard of Care. Would the Joint Commission look into how Veterans Affairs

Medical Centers and Clinics treat transsexual veterans and their need for medical services related to their condition?

SIG Response:

Emily, Thank you for your inquiry. There is no current standard that is specific to gender identify disorder. It would presently be covered under the Rights and Responsibilities chapter. For example, RI.01.01.01 requires

that the hospital respects, protects and promotes patient rights - at EP 3 - patient cultural and personal values, beliefs and preferences are respected by the hospital.

I am not aware of current development of more specific standards - standards development is performed by a different group in the Joint Commission.

I will try and find out a way to contact the standards development group and make a request for a specific standard that can be measured.

Huggs

Emily

Guest Dawn D.

Emily,

While this is not great news, it is still news! Keep up the good work, and if more letters need to go out to them, I'm willing to write up some as well.

Dawn