• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

30 And Feeling Too Old

kyennamo

hi all. I have been on hrt for several months but i am really starting to worry about the effectiveness of hrt on someone that is 30 vs someone that is 20. Its a hangup i have and it freaks me out sometimes that i started this late even though i knew plenty early. I know plenty who will say 30 is not late and some who might agree but what im asking is what can i realistically expect out of this? I want to be no questiones asked passable as im sure all of us girls do. if anyone could shed some light this or share some experiences id appreciate it

Guest JaniceW

Hi,

I started HRT at 60 and the effects are pretty good at 7 months. The effect of HRT is much more dependant on your genetics than your age, so it is hard to tell you how your body will react to the hormones. But it will react at 30 cuz mine is at 61!

Guest Miss_Construe

30 yrs old, 5 months on HRT and am passable without make-up or falsies (sometimes, people still clock me like a cop behind a billboard). I think you're golden.

<3

Amy

• Forum Moderator

There will be lots of women over 30 along to reassure you soon I'm sure.

From what I have seen once past puberty age seems to make little difference in the effectiveness of the hormones. In fact I have heard of women in their 50s and 60s becoming quite well endowed and seen dramatic differences in facial softening in pictures.

It will still work for you. And though I am coming from a different direction I have come to realize that it would have been disastrous perhaps for me to have transitioned in my 20s because I would not have had the emotional resources and strength I had in my 30s. I wish I had know about transmen then and transitioned at 30 something. But I didn't. Looking back with regret at what might have been actually keeps me from going forward to enjoy what I do have and can do now. So I am happy to be transitioning even in my 60s. Be thankful for all that there is ahead of you. You will bring more maturity to your transition at your age and HRT will still work it's wonders.

Hugs

Johnny

Guest EvenClose

I started at 28, not quite 30 but pretty close. It works, don't worry to much. Like she said, genetics are probably this biggest thing involved in all of it.

Its like puberty, try and remember what that was like for everyone, in terms of changes. It took a while. I can't answer if you will be 100% passable or not, mainly because there is more to passing than hrt.

A lot of it has to do with overall presentation. Most important is being yourself and being happy with who you are.

hi all. I have been on hrt for several months but i am really starting to worry about the effectiveness of hrt on someone that is 30 vs someone that is 20. Its a hangup i have and it freaks me out sometimes that i started this late even though i knew plenty early. I know plenty who will say 30 is not late and some who might agree but what im asking is what can i realistically expect out of this? I want to be no questiones asked passable as im sure all of us girls do. if anyone could shed some light this or share some experiences id appreciate it

There is no way to tell the effectiveness of hrt on any one person especially after only 2 months, genetics also plays a large part, I transitioned 3 years ago at age 56, i am still having changes, i think i saw the largest changes after a year, i was lucky in that i had allot of my mothers features, though i got my fathers brow ridge, to me passing was not the main goal, it was finally being congruent in mind and body, i am lucky i pass well, even if i did not i would still be happy.

As i always tell people passing is so much more than looks, it is being confident, holding your head up with a smile on your face, going everywhere like you belong, having a decent female voice, the fastest way to be outed even if you are drop dead gorgeous is to speak and what comes out is a man's voice, dressing to blend into wherever you plan on going, very few women go to the grocery store wearing a mini skirt and high heels, if you want to stand out that would do it, work on female mannerisms, go to a mall and observe how women sit, cross their legs, stand, walk, interact with other women etc.

Paula

Guest Robin Winter

I'm 31, but I've been on hormones for an even shorter period of time than you, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help to you.

Guest Annaemo

From what I've heard its a little easier with hormones when your older. Unless your male home level is quite low when your younger its going to mean lowering the male hormone levels then starting hrt. As you get older your male hormones start to get weaker so no need to block them as much :).

Guest MonikaC

I'm 30 and have been on a low dose HRT for 6 months. You can see from my gallery that even with being on a low dose regimen I'm getting some results. They might not be as dramatic as I would like, but I am generally accepted as female wherever I go.

• Admin

I completely agree with the other ladies, hon. A few months is hardly enough time to start worrying. Come back and give us an update in about 12 more months, and see how you feel then. I'll bet you'll be singing a different tune.

But, um, don't wait another 12 months to post again, OK? ;)

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

20 or 30, not a huge difference.

I seen plenty in both age categories.

Now what one needs to be careful of is not to compare their personal results with what may be described online. What one may hear online doesn't necessarily have much relevance to reality.

Guest Alexandra89

I feel too old, and I started transitioning at 21!

I think those of us who went through wrong-gender puberty almost always felt too old.

-Alex

Guest Jaded1

Don't feel bad. I am in the same boat as you except for the fact that you have been on hormones longer than me.

Things will change physically from the hormones but hormones won't effect who you really are. You know you are a strong, confident, beautiful woman you just need to bring that to the surface.

Attitude is more an indicator of a woman than anything else, remember that.

Guest AlexForever

After puberty (over 20) there is basically no difference; you can start at 30, 40, 50...changes should not be affected.

Before/during puberty there is still a little chance to block some unwanted effects of puberty and get a little more changes, that's the only difference.

Guest Julie T

Honey, I want to assure you that after age 30, HRT works fine. I started at age 61. may not be the best judge, but my therapist told me I was passing after six months. I don't really like the word passing because it infers you are trying to fool someone? But I went full time at one and one half years. And I have presented successfully ever since.

Julie

Guest NatalieRene

If it makes you feel any better I started HRT four months before my 29th birthday and in 17 months I look like this.

Snapshot_20110628_1.jpg

So while as a general rule the effects of hrt lessen as you get older but your milage always varies.

Hi,

You may also want to bring up your concerns with your GT. Have you had any recent blood work performed to verify that your hormonal levels are changing? Staying healthy is of primary importance, otherwise your transition would be for naught. Your endo may be able to make some minor mid-course corrections.

Again, I want to stress that your HRT needs to be done as safely as possible to your body. Each individual is going to have variances.

Wish you well on your journey.

Huggs,

Opal

Guest Leah1026
I want to be no questiones asked passable as im sure all of us girls do. if anyone could shed some light this or share some experiences id appreciate it

I'm going to ask you a return question:

Who are you transitioning for?

The only person you have to please is yourself.

Believe in yourself and that confidence will radiate out from you.

I would also suggest having realistic goals. The one quoted above is a bit high for anyone. When I started I told myself "I'm going to do the best I can with what I've got" and adhering to that idea has saved me a lot of anxiety. In a similar vein I want to share a mantra all trans people need to learn and embrace:

It is what it is.

Simple, yet profound.

One last thought: There are many natal women who don't "pass". Do they freak out about it? They don't because they know who they are and don't let what other people may/may not think affect them.

Be You.

Guest Miss_Construe

Passing is mostly about attitude which is why confidence in yourself is so important. Nothing clocks a girl more than a lack of confidence.

For physical results I try to eat healthy, take daily multi-vitamins (more than the recommended in many cases as I am larger than 160 lbs :P ) and exercise. I run to catabolize my upper body muscle (though my strength and tone is still present) and do yoga to maintain a loose gait and to help encourage feminine muscle development. This being said, I have put some considerable effort into having correct form in both running and yoga in order to achieve the results I want. That being said, I pass as a sporty girl in most cases (honestly, probably in more instances than I give myself credit for).

You should do fine. Rock the 'tude and find your style.

<3

Amy

Guest laura renee

I started HRT when I was in my mid 30s and have not had any problems like a lot of girls have said above. I used to worry about how I would pass and look and now that point is no longer a concern. You know what made that happen? You get to the point where you are a girl and you act and dress like one and that is all that matters and if someone else has a opinion it does not matter to me anymore unless they are complimenting me. Also, just like genetic girls we come in all shapes and sizes without any actual blueprint of what we should look like or that would be too easy. With me it turns on I look like a younger version of my mother and she really loves that part because anyone sees us together they can see the mother/daughter relationship. I hope this helps, there is nothing written in stone if you will pass or not but the actual hrt changes give you the thinking and acting like a girl weather you want it or not, lol.

• 11 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

This is an older thread, but interesting to read this morning.

I started at 52 and 11 months later the results are quite pleasing, no worries here and it just keeps getting better. Look forward to GP visit for my 1 year check up and blood work. I hope Dr Woman is impressed. I don't feel old at all, puberty never felt better.

C -