• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Anyone Read Comic Books?

Guest Kayde

Guest Kayde

Hey does anyone read comics/graphic novels? Or manga?

Ive been reading them since I was a little lad. Lol

I have been getting into them lately though, and I figured id start a thread on here for everyone to chat and talk about comics,and possible ask and receive comic recommendations!:)

I read darker comics, like Jennifer Blood(which is a very deep and thoughtful comic dealing with a VERY cool housewife) and I just bought "Hellraiser", issue number 1!. (Im not sure if I should censor the title!)

Its an awesomely illustrated I think, but ill have to open it to see!(:

What are your favorite comics? And if you dont read them, do you like any comic strips? In the newspapers, or magazines?

Hope to get some responses here :-)

Thanks for reading!(:

Guest Sanjiyan

I have been into anime and manga for many years. As I look around my room, I have many shelves filled. My current favorite is One Piece. Though I have Bleach, and Naruto going as an active series.

For complete series I have;

Caravan Kidd

3x3 Eyes (If you know the series you will understand my screen name)

Gunsmith Cats

Hyper Police

Ranma 1/2 (Better than the Anime)

YuYu Hakusho

I am working my way threw TriGun now. Amazon has them for $1 used so I can get them cheep.

I have a few of the more classic graphic novels from DC and Marvel Comics, but I find that Manga tends to have more original ideas and story lines.

Love,

-Lena

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Groove_Ghost

I wuvv comics, graphic novels, mangas etc

My all time favvy has got to be Hellblazer though, John Constantine is cooler than anyone!!!

Apart from that I love Evil Ernie, even got a signed letter from Brian Pulido YAY and have all of Straight to Hell signed and bagged and borded :)

Preacher was cool as well, Jesse Custer just kicked butt!!!

Hmmm some others as well are:

Hellboy

The Crow

The Mask (why more people don't read this I don't know!)

2000ad

Anything by Doug TenNapel who is a personal of mine :)

Usagi Yojimbo

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (original Mirage version)

Turok

Shadow Man

Spawn

I read a lot of manga too but mostly romantic stuff like Yaoi :) was obsessed with FAKE for years, sad it ended :(

But I do quite like Hellsing, Tenchi Muyo and a few others. But I'm mostly a western comics girl

• 5 months later...

I really aant to read Darwyn Cooke's "Parker", I just havn't had the chance to get it. Dx As for manga, I read a bunch. My favorite series is "Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service" and I also love the works of Osamu Tezuka. :3

Guest Amanda Whyte

I only read online comics.

Venus Envy about a MTF Transgender girl in highschool, Unfortunately it ended in the middle of the story

Misfile about a boy that woke up as a girl

Then 3 Dungeons and Dragons type online comics

Goblins; Life Through Their Eyes

Order of the Stick

Searching for Group

I used to read a lot of different comics, but now that I'm learning more about transgender stuff the entertainment value in a lot of them pales for me as soon as I see people being mean to someone due to their gender identity or expression... including that most of them seem to be male-driven with the females as limp as rags even when they're supposedly more powerful.

So, lately, the only ones I've been able to simply enjoy are The Princess and KhaosKomix. Although I haven't read the comics, I have rather liked the anime adaptations of K-ON and Kino's Journey.

Guest Madison_Always

For anyone looking for a thought provoking and sensitive manga centered around trans issues I reccomend Hourou musuko also called wandering son. It's not finished but a new one comes out every month. :) You can find all the chapters online.

• 2 months later...
Guest Mojave

Ohhhh I love Manga!!! I just got a library card at a major city and have a bunch sitting around my room I'm trying to devour. I just finished Ode to Kirihito, it's disjointed at times, but I love epics, and this one does not fail to satisfy. It's written by Osamu Tezuka, wrote Astro Boy, and it is very dark and serious epic about a doctor on the wrong side of a conspiracy who ends contracting a disease that turns people into hideous dog people. He goes through all these horrible ordeals because of his appearance. An amazing epic of perserverance, human spirit, and redemption. I spent about 7 hours straight finishing it in one sitting.

I also love

Azumanga Daioh

Museum of Terror

Spice and Wolf

Gakuen Alice

Battle Angel Alita

Berserk

I Am Here

I just started Ranma 1/2 and am already enjoying it.

• 2 months later...
Guest ladyinwaiting

This probably sounds lame but I used to read comic books for fashion inspiration...like growing up as a boy comic books were acceptable so I would see what fashions the girls were sporting and plan on modeling my future looks on them lol. But in doing that, I did also find I really enjoyed some of the stories in those books. My favorites were silver age titles that showcased mod fashions like the Diana Prince Wonder Woman period and the Dazzler. Later on I got into underground comics by people like Trina Robbins and Diane Noomin. If you're into off-beat, campy characters, "Didi Glitz," is a fun read. Nowadays I love basically all Vertigo comics, anything from Neil Gaiman, and campy romance comics from the 60's that are unintentionally hilarious.

As far as manga, a few I enjoyed were Museum of Terror, Bizenghast, Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, Mai The Psychic Girl, Heaven!!, xxxHolic and Sakuran.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ImperfectDandy

I read manga (online mostly), since it's easier than juggling novels while studying... I guess my favourites would be Amatsuki, Kuroshitsuji and D.Gray Man, since the art is great and the storylines quite complex.... I read Bleach too, but out of a sense of obligation more than anything else, though I really do love Kubo's character designs....

• 1 year later...
Guest KarenLyn

I recently started reading on-line comics. My favorites right now are Questionable Content, Rain and Misfile. I'm horrible with descriptions but Rain is about an MtF teenager in her first year full time while in high school.

Questionable Content (QC) is "ostensibly about romance, indie rock, little robots, and the problems people have."

Misfile revolves around Ash and Emily. Both are victims of a celestial clerical error. Emily woke up to find herself two years younger. She was a senior ready to graduate and go off to Harvard. Now, a sophomore, and not sure if she can go through it all again.

Ash was a teenage boy who loved racing. He woke up as a girl and the incompetent angel who made the clerical error is there to try to correct the problem.

They are all fun reads.

Guest CassieX

Lets see, Poison Elves by Drew Hayes, published last by Sirius Entertainment. It takes a Big Pointy stick to Elf Quest and tells the story about Elves like it really is.

Grimm Fairy Tales and pretty much any of the other comics published by Zenescope. The stories are Dark, Darker and Brr!

Anything Warhammer / Warhammer 40K because they aren't fluffy and pretty much anything that Games Workshop / Black Library publishes is pretty darn cool!

The Books of Magic by Neil Gaimen published by Vertigo. Classic.

2000 AD. I used to buy piles of those comics as a kid from charity stores, and watching Sylvester Stallones cheesy rendition of Judge Dredd made me nostalgic to go back and read the digital version.

Groo by Sergio Aragones which proves that I am, after all fluffy at heart. I just checked out the artists site while trying to spell his name. Groo Vs. Conan, Who'd have thunk it? :thumbsup:

Cassie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kaylee234

Ooh Elfquest! Great mention Cassie. I at one time had all the original WaRP Graphics black and white issues. Wendy Pini has always been one of my favorite artists.

~ Kay

Guest Bellexia

Savage Dragon, Spawn, elf quest, JTHM, Associated Student bodies, 2 kinds, and about the only manga that didn't bore me to tears was Gyo and a couple of the horror mangas. Horror manga is where it's at.

Guest Kendra K

I was hugely into comics as a child/teen.

Now I don't buy comics but will re-read two of them.

One is the already mentioned Elf Quest. It's fantastic.

The second is V is for Vendetta by Alan Moore. Also fanatic. Wish it was in the better graphics they have in comics these days though.

Guest CassieX

Ooh Elfquest! Great mention Cassie. I at one time had all the original WaRP Graphics black and white issues. Wendy Pini has always been one of my favorite artists.

~ Kay

Kay, methinks you didn't understand what I said about the relationship between Poison Elves and Elfquest? Elfquest Baaaad! Poison Elves Goood! :harhar:

I'll need to bring you some to read.

Cassie

Guest ~Emmie~

I'm a HUGE fan of Frank Miller (The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City, The Spirit), and I love offbeat indie stuff; "Demo" by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan is one of my all-time favorites, as is The Runaways, by Brian Vaughn (hilarious and poignant take on if you grew up and your parents were supervillians!). "Blankets" is also a teen-romance-grunge classic, absolutely beautiful artwork and storytelling.

As a kid, I loved Astonishing X-Men and Gen-X, and always hoped, dorkily, that I'd grow into mutant powers...that maybe would just let me be a girl. With firework-hands. Jubilee ftw.

Also, Ranma 1/2. Hilarious. Made me realize I might have an issue after I contemplated booking a flight to China to find that damn spring. :P

-Em

Guest Kaylee234

~ Kay

Kay, methinks you didn't understand what I said about the relationship between Poison Elves and Elfquest? Elfquest Baaaad! Poison Elves Goood! :harhar:

I'll need to bring you some to read.

Cassie

Nah, I didn't misunderstand what you said... I was just ignoring it ;)

~ Kay