• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Not Everyone Celebrates Unconditionally

Guest Elizabeth K

Guest Julie T

Hello everyone

I want to wish all that somewhat cliche' to have a happy and safe Forth of July. And yes, I do mean that. For some it is a time to be with friends? Some celebrate it alone. We do the best we can.

This topic is not about me, though, nor about the holiday. Someone close to me has bad memories of this day, and for you I wish to say this. I feel for you and hope you find that although it never gets better, it does get more distant. Eleven years this sadness in your heart is a testimony to your love of your father. You know that I cry with you just a bit - but then I smile and say when will those BBQ'd ribs be ready? You simply cannot keep a good woman down, and I am describing you.

Love

Lizzy

• Forum Moderator

My father-well step-father but the only father I knew and I called him Daddy-died on July 3rd 15 years ago. We spent the 4th traveling to the funeral while all around us we saw others celebrating.

But Daddy loved to have the family celebrate the 4th. One of the few holidays not affected by his dark childhood memories so I pause and think of him today and know that he would love to see us barbequeing and lighting fireworks-doing all the traditional stuff. When he was alive and in his mind he was perhaps the only person who understood my commitment to being true to myself and my beliefs and to praise me for it. I know he would be proud of what I am doing with my life right now and the choice I have made.

I miss him but will not grieve this weekend because he would not have wanted that. And somehow I feel him here sharing our celebration.

I am sorry for your loss Donna Jean and for your grief. I hope you are also able to find some peace and happiness and enjoy the day in spite of it,

Love

JJ

• Admin

Thanks for the post, Julie. It is a reminder that whatever the day of the year, every day can bring sad or troubling memories to someone. All we can do at those times is be close, listen attentively, and show our love and concern.

HUGS to you, Donna Jean, for those sad memories. Remember the good times, because that is what he would want.

Love

:friends:

Carolyn Marie