• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Borderline Personality Disorder And Being Transsexual

Guest mandy05

Guest mandy05

Does anyone know if there is a connection between BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) and being Transsexual?

I have been diagnosed with both BPD and GID, however both diagnoses were not made by the same professional. The BPD diagnoses was made by my former Psychiatrist about 8 or 9 years ago, and my GID diagnoses was made by my therapist one year ago. It took my therapist over a year to send the letter to my doctor, however I have now been on hormones for 10 weeks, and I am starting to notice some changes that I really like.

Times are still tough for me emotionally, and I am struggling quiet a bit in my personal relationships, but overall I am happy to finally be on hormones, and I am especially happy to see the changes that are starting to happen.

Anyways, I was reading up on the subject of BPD to see if there were any possible connections between having BPD and being Transsexual. I came across an article that suggested that individuals who live with BPD who are unhappy with their gender may not be truly transsexual, which I'm sure is true in some cases.

However, unless I misinterpreted what I was reading, I felt like the author of this same article made it sound like that anyone (or everyone) who has BPD who also struggles with their Gender Identity Issues are not truly Transsexual. If I was correctly interpreting what I was reading, I felt like it was an unfair generalized statement that suggested that if you have BPD you are not a true transsexual. Like I said, I may have not interpreted the article correctly.

http://www.aapel.org/bdp/BLgenderUS.html

As for my BPD condition, I am getting ready to begin a new treatment called, DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) to help me deal with my BPD better which has really been making it hard for me function at times. It is true that transitioning alone with not fix all of our problems, and that is why I have started pursuing DBT to help take care of my other issues in life so I can truly enjoy my new life as Mandy.

Mandy Renee :)

Guest CharliTo

BPD is common, but I dunno if it constitutes a person that isn't a true transsexual. It is however, like you said, transitioning won't solve every problem... but yeah, I hope your new treatment helps you out well.

Guest Ashley Hun

I've heard that something about our genetics (transgenders) makes us also prone to bipolar disorder. I've also heard from a few therapists that bipolar and multiple personality can sometimes be mixed up by psychiatrists, since they can be identical. Basically a lot of bipolars are misdiagnosed as multiple personality disorder patients.

Anyway I don't like the fact that any transgender might be mistaken as someone with multiple personalities. I mean I have what most people call "guy mode" and then have what I perceive as my real self. They are two separate things. My hunch is that since I was raised to be a guy, it has some influence in my life. But since I've always looked at how males are raised in society as something idiotic, sexist, and just ignorant, I've always have been resistant to being indoctrinated with "male thoughts." So it shouldn't really be hard to be myself as I only have to define myself and then live out that definition. I know who I am and who I am not. If someone wants to mistake me with MPD or Bipolar, go ahead, but it still won't stop me from being Me, at least on the inside.

Guest Michele H

I strongly suggest getting a copy of "A Transsexual Woman on Sexism And The Scapegoating Of Feminity" Julia Serano, Seal Press, Berkeley Ca 2007 After reading the book - you may find that you will want to take both the first diagnosis as well as purported link with a LARGE grain of salt. I highly recommend this book to everyone (you might also want to make a gift of the book to your current counselor

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sofiadragon

From what I read on that aricle it seems if the person that wrote it is making alot of assumptions. Just 'cause there are alot of similarities between the two in some areas. Just how some people see that there is a indistinguishable like between homosexuality & AIDS, just 'cause they saw an article saying that they "might" have a higher risk of contracting it. But that is what it seems like it is saying to me, I might be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Sofiadragon
Just wanted to say that I am BPD, Bipolar, ADHD, and Transsexual, i am truly messed up. Tehe. BPD is much more common in females

My wife has BPD so I know what you are meaning there also from some of the stuff that she has on it so that she could better understand herself I think that I might have it as well but I am transgender & possibly still having ADHD from when I was a kid so I know what you mean by being messed up lol.

• 2 years later...

I have battled with GID for a long time (since I was 11 - I guess I was a late bloomer LOL) and have seen Psychologists/ Psychiatrists and finally been diagnosed as BP - am now 46yrs. Been married once and am supposed to get married again, but something tells me this is not right. I have struggled to come to terms with BPD; severe mood swings, rage, depression and the cross dressing. Have taken hormones (imported them myself without prescription.

I firmly believe there is a link.

I am new to this only finding this site after searching for a connection between Transexual and BP.

Being BP is one hell of mess and I do not wish it upon anyone - It would so nice if you could simply flick a switch and turn off the light. Although I must admit I do enjoy the cross/ Transexual and given 3/4 chance (more than half a chance 'cause I have been, and why am I not going there - I guess it is because I do not want to be alone). Enaough abbbling - there is a ling I am sure, it is just trying to find that link that is the hard part.

Anyone found it???

Nicol

Guest Katrina Reann

From what I understand about BPD it has more to do with learned behaviors. Most often it is associated with middle aged women who have gone through turbulent or abusive relationships in their lives. Because this disorder has to do more with learned behaviors it is much different most other mental illnesses that are more associated with chemical imbalances in the brain. Don't get me wrong, I am in no way suggesting that BPD is not a mental illness because I know it is, my wife has BPD. Although the depression and anxiety that can accompany BPD can be treated with medication the disorder itself is dealt with through intensive therapy and counseling to resolve past issues and start retraining the way one deals with life's issues. And this can take years to overcome.

From what I have read GID is sometimes thought to be a symptom of BPD because many therapist see GID as a learned behavior rather than brain wiring or chemical imbalances. So I personally don't put much stock in these studies with GID and BPD. While there may be some in the TG community that do use cd'ing as an escape from reality most TG's And TS's struggles go much deeper than clothes. It is something we feel as early as 2,3,4,and 5 years old, so in my opinion GID is not a learned behavior.

The thing with therapist you can go to 20 different and probably get 20 different opinions. And regardless of which one of those 20 one may choose to go to, none of them know you better than you. When it comes to GID one has to get real honest with themselves and ask themselves some very tough questions. Like why did I first start dressing and acting like the opposite gender? Am I using this as an escape from something? Is it for a sexual turn on? Or is it because you have always felt this way and feel like you are trapped in the wrong body? There is no test for GID and in the end only you can answer the questions I just posed. And if your answer to the last question I posed is no you probably do not have GID in my unprofessional opinion.....Katrina

BP (Bi-Polar) or BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) are they the same for I have been diagnosed as having BP. I do believe there is a link between BP (Bi Polar Disorder) and CD, TS and even TV. Whether or not this transposes to GID I do not know.

Certainly I have been to many doctors, psychologist and psychiatrist who all have confirmed that being Bi-Polar is a deficiency in chemical imbalances within the brain and can be treated. However the CD/ TV part of me is something that I have to come to terms with within - oh for only if there was a pill that could switch on or off - I feel I am sitting on a knife blade swaying from side to side.

I do appreciate you comments / thoughts and am struggling with issues with seeing medical people at the moment is exhausting me at present.

Yes I have to admit there is some escapism when dressed as a female. Everything is calm, relaxed and the mind does not rush. The body feels relaxed, there is no tightness.

If there was a stage earlier than 11, at which I began cross dressing I am unable to remember - does being TG have to happen at earlier ages? Does this make me a TG/ TS / TV or simply a CD.

It is quite fortuitous as I write this as I have just come from seeing the psychologist. I was asked a very troubling question "how would I feel if my partner passed away". I had no trouble answering this and don't get me wrong, but I smiled, for I said I would feel relieved and saddened. Relieved for that I could now continue my CD, and saddened for her children.

My partner knows of my C Ding and does not restrict me apart from the make-up/ wigs waxing / nails / perfume (and general smells of being a female) and going out. So the clothes, lingerie is all that is left.

The questions you have posed have stopped me in my tracks and made me think. The problem I have is that my mind works overtime racing and even now as I type this, I am thinking of what it would be to be a female, dressed with the smells all around me. Certainly the clothes, all that goes with it and being attracted to the opposite sex (men) with the latter having appeal / excitement. Yes I have had sex with the opposite sex and whilst not wanting to get into it too deep not only does the body and actions performed, but also my mind transitions to being the female - this is the hardest part to comprehend and try and make sense of.

Mixed up??

Guest Katrina Reann

BP (Bi-Polar) or BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder) are they the same for I have been diagnosed as having BP. I do believe there is a link between BP (Bi Polar Disorder) and CD, TS and even TV. Whether or not this transposes to GID I do not know.

Certainly I have been to many doctors, psychologist and psychiatrist who all have confirmed that being Bi-Polar is a deficiency in chemical imbalances within the brain and can be treated. However the CD/ TV part of me is something that I have to come to terms with within - oh for only if there was a pill that could switch on or off - I feel I am sitting on a knife blade swaying from side to side.

I do appreciate you comments / thoughts and am struggling with issues with seeing medical people at the moment is exhausting me at present.

Yes I have to admit there is some escapism when dressed as a female. Everything is calm, relaxed and the mind does not rush. The body feels relaxed, there is no tightness.

If there was a stage earlier than 11, at which I began cross dressing I am unable to remember - does being TG have to happen at earlier ages? Does this make me a TG/ TS / TV or simply a CD.

It is quite fortuitous as I write this as I have just come from seeing the psychologist. I was asked a very troubling question "how would I feel if my partner passed away". I had no trouble answering this and don't get me wrong, but I smiled, for I said I would feel relieved and saddened. Relieved for that I could now continue my CD, and saddened for her children.

My partner knows of my C Ding and does not restrict me apart from the make-up/ wigs waxing / nails / perfume (and general smells of being a female) and going out. So the clothes, lingerie is all that is left.

The questions you have posed have stopped me in my tracks and made me think. The problem I have is that my mind works overtime racing and even now as I type this, I am thinking of what it would be to be a female, dressed with the smells all around me. Certainly the clothes, all that goes with it and being attracted to the opposite sex (men) with the latter having appeal / excitement. Yes I have had sex with the opposite sex and whilst not wanting to get into it too deep not only does the body and actions performed, but also my mind transitions to being the female - this is the hardest part to comprehend and try and make sense of.

Mixed up??

Bi polar Disorder is different from Borderline Personality Disorder. I too am Bipolar. Bipolar disorder is believed to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. It can cause one to have racing thoughts to the point one has trouble shutting there brain off when sleep is needed. Which leads to manic episodes of anxiety and can also lead into brief psychotic episodes. This happened to me back in 2001 and I totally lost a period of about 10 days. Bipolar disorder is best described as a roller-coaster ride. Everyone has to deal with some level of depression and anxiety but it is usually managed very well. For people with Bipolar disorder the anxiety highs are much higher and can drop in an instant into a deeper depression than most people without the disorder. One is usually very moody and emotions normally run out of control with BP. As I said in my last post Borderline Personality Disorder from what I have read is not a chemical imbalance but rather learned behaviors of dealing with or not dealing with life's issues.

One does not necessarily have to start out at an early age to struggle with GID. Many struggle with something for many years with something they can't put their finger on. They simply know they are not happy with who they are and it is not until they cd that they begin to realize they feel more like a female than a male or vise versa. And for various reasons many cd'ers don't know until later in life that they are in a gender identity crisis. GID is not about gender preference it is about identity. About who they feel they are on the inside.

Hope this helps you understand the differences better. I didn't mean to confuse you or anyone. And remember I am not a professional. I know you said you have said you have seen or are seeing a psychologist. If you are still not certain where you fit in in the transgendered field which includes everything from cd'ing to post op sexual reassignment you may want to try another therapist or DR...They may help you see something in yourself that the present one's may not look at or see. Be patient it takes time to figure everything out and you have to do a lot of soul searching to find the true answers...Hugs...Katrina

• 4 months later...
Guest Nicola

Hi and a big thank you to all who have given me their opinions

Well it has been a while since I last wrote, but have been busy - the reason for writing is to let people know there is light at the end of the tunnel and that is reading allot about being BP and the correct medication.

I am now on Tegretol (very high dosage), Lexapro (also high dosage) and something else just something to get me to sleep and stop the voices - hahaha

Am I schizophrenic - no not quite. I don't have multiple disorder, but according to my doctor I have Bipolar Disorder A.

So do I cross dress any more - I wonder about it sometimes and that is usually when I am at the end of the day and coming down - so I know this is when I have to take my moods stabilisers (Lexapro and Tegretol) the other one I take just before going to bed.

I have told my boss that I have BP A, and he understands - am not going to tell him about the cross dressing

Soon after being stable on my meds, I threw out all my clothes with the help of my fiancée - she was surprised.

But just lately when things have been getting a little stressful at work, I wish I had not - oh dear.

It for me is more of a fantasy than anything else.

Yes I had an episode where I was suicidal and had a week off work - I was a mess

Anyway life goes on and now that I know I have a condition that I can say I do actually have rather tan wondering what the heck do I have or denying that I do actually have something I am a little bit happier.

Thanks to all that listened. :ThanxSmiley:

Big hugs

Nicola