• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

T-Shirt Idea

Guest Tasha_A

Guest Tasha_A

I have a plain black guys t-shirt (well, actually I have two of the same on), I was thinking of trying my best with needle, thread and scissors, to shorten the sleeves (I say shorten, I guess I mean, cut off), using the needle and thread to sew a new seam thing so it doesn't just fall apart. I can sew VERY simple things (actually like sewing more than my mum). Does this sound like a good idea?

Guest Chloe Renee

It sounds good, I've altered some of my favorite guy shirts to a fitted womens style and haven't had them fall to pieces. The most difficult thing is maintaining a consistant stitch the whole duration. That is whete i fall down I get excited as I get closer to finishing and my stiching pays the price.

Guest Tasha_A

Tried. It didn't fall apart but it came out more like a basketball top rather than a sleeveless t-shirt... Worth a try I guess but it failed. Going to buy sleeveless t-shirt on Monday.

Guest Julie T

Tosha

You are brave to try it and maybe it was just the way the shirt is made. Today's clothes seem better made? therefore put together in ways that are difficult to alter. I have some shorts I want to narrow at the hip and I cannot figure out a way to do it without ripping everything apart and restitching, and denim tends to fade around stitching. I am afraid it would not look good. And these are nice girl shorts,

Oh well, sometimes its easy but not always. It is like we have to ask the question, is it okay if it gets ruined? and then take a chance. Also? Sometimes we forget hand sewing alterations can work better.

Julie

Guest ranse

Only a woman would think of altering clothing. Before I get slapped, let me explain. That's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the original post and then others about taking in shorts to make them more narrow, etc. It's these little things that scream out "Woman." In contrast, I really don't pay attention to fabrics and how clothes are put together. If something tears, I reach for duct tape.

So, go girls! Keep the world beautiful with your creativity and fashion sense.

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

How bout you make one a cropped shirt?? There very fetch and in fashion:p. The second one ummm idk....

Guest Drewbie

I wish it was as easy to turn girls clothes to guys clothes as it is the other way around. I used to have some really nice stuff.

Guest Julie T

Hey all?

We all seem to have a few boy clothes that followed us into transition. I especially like my denim long sleeve men's shirts and boy jeans. I have a few words to say? Appliques (the iron-on kind), sparklies (jewel studs and rhinestones).

Julie

Guest Elena

The biggest problem with altering mens/boys t-shits into a feminine style is that the arm holes are typically much larger relative to the shirt size. Unisex t-shirts will have a mid size arm hole and are much easier to alter in that regard.

Shorts/pants are real difficult to modify, and yes it usually requires disassembling the garment to some extent. Gotta be VERY determined to make a proper job of it.

<3

Elena

Guest Chloe Renee

Don't fret if the first thing you made or modified didn't turn out the way you wanted. The first couple of things I made were unwearable. Eventually I got things to look the way I wanted them to.

Modifying shorts or pants are really a pain to work on. The hardest part is getting the yoke right after taking in pants. It is almost easier to make new pants from scratch.

Guest Elena

Don't fret if the first thing you made or modified didn't turn out the way you wanted. The first couple of things I made were unwearable. Eventually I got things to look the way I wanted them to.

Modifying shorts or pants are really a pain to work on. The hardest part is getting the yoke right after taking in pants. It is almost easier to make new pants from scratch.

Almost easier, heck it is easier!

I have actually bought pants that I liked how they fit around my waist and hips, just so I could take them apart and make a pattern from the pieces. But most of my issues with pants is length, not shape.

I have issues with my shape, but that's not the same thing.

Cheers,

Elena

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

There are some sites out there on the web that will show you how to turn a male tshirt into a girl's tank top. :)

Guest Chloe Renee

Threadbanger had a tutorial of how to make a tee shirt dress. Burdastyle had a writeup on yoga pants and skirts made from tee shirts.

Recently my wife was given a ton of plus size dresses, some of which won't fit her but with some mods will work nicely for me or at the least provide material for som custom clothes. Interesting materials are hard to find here.