• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

College/job

Guest Conrí

(A little background first: The last couple of years I went to a community college, where some people saw me as male, and others saw me as female, because I didn't start trying to pass until my second semester there, this upcoming semester will be my first one at a four-year)

I have an idea how I'm going to deal with classes. I'm going to try talk to the teachers before classes start, and explain to them about myself. Here is what I don't know about: a job. I'm currently trying to get a job on campus. Right now they just have my legal name and know nothing. And I don't want to tell them until I get the job because I desperately need the job. So what do I do after I get the job? Who would I have to tell so that the least amount of people know me as being transgender? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people knowing, I just want to have some control over who knows. I'm planning on getting my name changed during the semester, so none of this will be a problem for the spring semester...though I would like to avoid problems like I had at community college...

Any thoughts or advice?

~Mani

• 3 months later...

I go to a university level Art School.

While this is a very liberal school being an art school, I don't have very many problems besides bathroom nervousness.

I would think(although I don't know) that it would depend on the school, and where it is.(some redneck town, I would avoid)

I talked to the school councilor, the One who is in charge of dealing with disabilities and special student accommodations (there's usually at least one). They can be a good place to start.

I am actually looking to get together a list of recources of how schools handle this issue because that was one of the questions my councilor had. His opinion was that while they didn't have a policy related to the issue, he wondered how exactly DO they handle this? After all, he said, I certainly wouldn't be the last.

So I would start there, and also, if you find any information on how different schools have handled it, please let me know.

Thanks.

-Sarah