• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Little While Ago, I Noticed This With My Cartoons...

Guest Ulysses

Guest Ulysses

scan0001.jpg

I never draw a cartoon representation of myself with anything but a flat chest. I hadn’t noticed this before, only one day while looking through little comics or doodles I’ve done of friends and myself. All my female friends have bosoms drawn. I don’t. It was a pleasant surprise, and I tip my hat to my subconscious. (Which I misspelled in the drawing. Oops.)

The giant red block over my cartoon self's face was censored because this was originally something for my blog (which is written anonymously, but only so family can't find it: everyone here, I'm not concerned). Also I thought it would look funny. Odd but good sort of funny.

Guest Micha

That seems to happen with people. They may not realize it, but through forms of expression like art or writing, or anything else creative, a part of them come out that they don't recognize as their "self."

Certainly true for me as well. For years I've been concocting stories and characters, and most of my main characters in a series of discarded ideas that revolve more around me personally, they all follow a very similar archetype (personality wise as well as physical). These stories have changed, evolved or taken on completely different settings, but the main character is more or less the same, with minor variations. And the thing is, I used to think I envisioned myself in their shoes, when really I was visualizing them as me. Funny that, yah?

People prolly know themselves much better through creative forms of expression than they do through conscious thought, and isn't that a fascinating possibility?

Guest Stephen-Renae

I personally love it when characters act on their own impulses, rather than you telling them what to do. You know, the kind of stuff that makes you talk or think about them as if they aren't fictional xD

I never drew myself much, adn still don't. I prefer living in a fantasy world...and I haven't been drawing humans a lot, haha. Although, I do still learn a lot about myself from my pictures. I'll draw something, work HOURS on it, and then someone who's been looking over my shoulder all that time will ask me "So...what is it?" and I'll look, and say "...I...have no clue".

A few weeks later I'll understand, though, after some deep thought....rather annoying, actually xD

Guest Alder

XD I find I do this often myself. I'll still draw myself all plump tummy(and other places) but I end up with more masculine features(and with having a brother this is somewhat easy to do without realizing it)