• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Replacement For Finasteride

Guest Riana

Guest Riana

A while ago I started taking finasteride on doctor's prescription to stop balding, which seems to be affecting me at an early age and is causing me a lot of stress. When I asked for it he already knew I was gender dysphoric and he said 'when you start HRT that will stop anyway'. But at the time I had no idea when I could expect to start HRT, or even at all, and I really needed some kind of hormonal 'pause button'. So he prescribed finasteride and that's that.

It's a few months later now and I haven't really noticed much difference in my hair, although I'm told that takes years to recover, if it does at all. But the real effect has been the cost. Finasteride is horribly expensive and I simply can't afford to keep taking it, but I don't really know of any alternative except spiro or some other more potent antiandrogen. I'm not terribly worried about the added effects, but I don't think my doctor could prescribe that without a medical need for it. And that's where the catch is - the gender clinic said HRT is still two years away at least, and my hair simply won't wait that long to stay on my head.

So I looked around online and found that spiro on a full M2F dosage would cost only half of what I now pay. I'm thinking if I could ask my doctor if it would work if I switched to a low dosage on spiro. I would buy it myself, and he could advise me on dosages and such and supervise on the effects or maybe point me to those who can. I just need to find a replacement for finasteride soon, it's killing my savings and stopping it would make the wait for HRT nearly unbearable. I really need to be able to sit things out while I work things out with a therapist and maybe even relieve some of the stress my high testosterone is causing me. So I'm wondering if this makes any sense or are there points I missed? (please note I'm not self medicating... just self-buying with doctor's advice)

I'm thinking if I could ask my doctor if it would work if I switched to a low dosage on spiro. I would buy it myself, and he could advise me on dosages and such and supervise on the effects or maybe point me to those who can

There thould be no reason why your doctor can't perscribe spiro. It is a regular medication typically used for blood pressure regulation.

Guest Riana

He seemed a bit reluctant to prescribe anything stronger than finasteride when I last saw him. He is a very good doctor, he does what he can to help and is always involved with his patients, and I guess at the time he didn't feel prescribing a stronger antiandrogen was in my best interest. I haven't had any therapy yet, so my mind is still a jumble of feelings some times, and I think he realised that and backed off a bit. But it's now months later and if I explain what has been happening he may be willing to prescribe it, although I still wonder about insurance coverage (which I would need a 'medical reason' for). Buying it online might still be cheaper.

Guest Riana

It is a little different yes. Finasteride stops testosterone from being converted into dihydrotestosterone which is much stronger and has a stronger effect on balding. But I imagine if spiro can stop testosterone from being formed at the source, there won't be much to convert. It is true after all that HRT stops balding, so it would just be a matter of getting the dosage right for it to have the same effect as what I am taking now. I would have to ask my doctor for that.

Guest JaniceW

Rianna,

Spiro and Finesteride work on different types of testosterone in the body. Finesteride is well known for having a positive effect on male patterened baldness (MPB), as does minoxidil (Roganine). Sprionolactone does not have the same effect on MPB. Spiro lowers testosterone levels in the blood, finesteride does that also (minoxidil does not have that same effect on testosterone). Finesteride is used as a secondary anti-androgen when spiro cannot be used for some reason, but that is a secondary level anti-androgen and not a front line one. These drugs are complicated and powerful so it is in your best interest to discuss with your doctor what you really want (treat hair loss or treat testosterone level) and then defer to the advice of your physician. The cost of any drug is not just how much money it takes but also whether or not it causes the effect you want. There are alternatives to fenesteride for treating baldness but spiro is not one of them.

Guest Donna Jean

Spiro and Finasteride are both anti androgens, but do their work totally differently....

Spiro was primarily a blood pressure lowering medicine that happens to be also an anti androgen..

Finasteride is primarily a hair restoration med that happens to also be an anti androgen...

BUT! they do their work differently!

Finasteride stops testosterone from being converted into dihydrotestosterone

Spiro works differently...It's the dihydrotestosterone that causes the baldness....

Talk to your doctor...

Unfortunately... is still under patent and there are really no generics like Spiro...

Finasteride (marketed by Merck under the trademark names Proscar and Propecia,) is expensive!

Most "vanity" products are...

Again...talk to your doctor.....ok?

Good luck

Donna Jean

Guest Leah1026
But I imagine if spiro can stop testosterone from being formed at the source, there won't be much to convert.

Ummm no. Spiro doesn't stop testosterone production, it BLOCKS it from being used. Spiro isn't a DHT blocker.

Finasteride (aka Propecia, Finpecia) is a DHT blocker, not a T blocker. They stopped using it as a T blocker a couple decades ago because it's weak compared to other modern meds.

Finasteride is also the cheapest DHT blocker on the market as far as I know.

DHT comes in two "flavors". Finasteride blocks the major (80%) one.

Dutasteride (aka Avodart) block both kinds of DHT and it is much more expensive.

If you can I suggest getting a generic Finasteride. I used one for about 6 years and found a cheap source. (Can't mention name or prices without breaking the rules here).

One other note: For the purposes of hair restoration/maintenance a dosage of ___mg is sufficient. (Can't mention dosage without breaking the rules) Check with your physician because many people take a higher dose than is really necessary. So that could potentially lower your out of pocket costs.

Guest Riana

Can you send a private message with the missing information? My doctor himself suggested that I look online for cheaper alternatives, so I think that constitutes medical advice. :)