• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Six Weeks Until My Srs

Guest NatalieRene

Guest NatalieRene

I can't believe how fast my SRS date is flying up. It seems like just yesterday it was six months out and a lifetime away. Now it looms in the not so distant future and I worry about the expense and to a larger extent the recovery that I will be going through.

For the people that have already had SRS how was your recovery? The only surgery that I have had that I can remember was when I had to have all four impacted wisdom teeth dug out of my mouth. The recovery for that sucked but I didn't take the pain medication after the second day and instead used over the counter Advil because I was afraid of becoming addicted to the pain medication. I know thats nothing like SRS but if anyone has had their wisdom teeth removed and SRS could it be possible to quantify the pain of recovery for SRS based on the recovery from the wisdom teeth being pulled?

Thanks

Natalie

Guest Miss_Construe

Natalie,

Congratulations!!!

I would like to point out that you wouldn't become addicted to pain meds if you used them to relieve all pain in the acute phase of recovery, then cease using them.

April

Guest NatalieRene

Hi Natalie,

I've had many surgeries, but probably my worst was having a single wisdom tooth removed. But most of my surgeries were minor, nasal, knee arthroscopies, etc. I did have an elbow rebuild once, but the nerves were cut to the area of the surgery, and I wasn't sure if anything had been done! The wisdom tooth surgery was bad simply because I failed to follow the doctor's orders. Lesson learned there!

As April said, don't worry about addiction to pain meds. Your need for them will subside and you'll be too interested in starting your new life to want pain meds! I'm sure that you'll follow the post-op care instructions to a tee... You'll be fine!

It is an exciting and frightening time for you! Of course, we're there with you in spirit! You'll do fine - we're all pulling for you!

Oh, do try to keep us hungry ghosts fed - let us know how it goes as often as you can!

Love, Kat

I'll keep you up to date on my progress.

Natalie, Who have you selected to perform your surgery?

Hugs,

Hayley

I'm having my SRS done by Dr. Sherman Leis. He has a good reputation and is not all that far away from me in the grand scheme of things.

LOL, NM! I think I found the answer on your YouTube Channel. Dr. Leis? Good luck :) I'm having my surgery a week after you!!

Oh wow. Hopefully it goes well for you and I both. Who are you having perform your srs?

Can't give comparison to wisdom teeth. My wisdom teeth didn't hurt much and I went out that evening and was eating even...

SRS is 4 to 5 days hospital. People talk of different levels of pain. Likewise with dialating.

The advise I was given was to take the pain meds while in the hospital. There is necessary pain, such as that when it is time to get out of bed and such, but that pain waiting on the healing for the first few days is unnessary and no awards are given for sweating it out in pain.

Where I had surgery they didn't use one of those pain pump things. They gave shots which were good for 4 hours. After the first day they asked if I was ready to try pills. I held off on the pills till I really felt ready. I also found it best to take the pain meds initially when it was time. It worked better to head off the pain rather than let the pain killers wear off. By the end of the hospital stay I had switched to pill and was starting to stretch them.

I didn't think the pain was very significant. Then again I am pretty sure I experienced less than most as I had less difficulty getting around.

Guest NatalieRene

Where your wisdom teeth impacted? It probably isn't as big of a deal getting wisdom teeth removed if they break through the gums but mine didn't have room to even come to the surface. I had to be put under while they dug out my wisdom teeth. When I came too my lips where so numb I couldn't even get my pain pill into my mouth and swallow the pill easily.

After two days of pain pills and coming to the realization that the pain pills where what was making me sleepy I stopped taking the pain medication and played Vagrant Story on my PlayStation and ignored the pain.

I don't think after the SRS I will be quite able to just ignore the pain. I'm expecting the pain to be really really bad.

I'm only scheduled to be in the hospital for three days. After that I will be in a studio apartment I am renting from Dr. Leis in his office complex. It makes it really easy because he can stop by and check on me. it's also only $50 a day as opposed to the hospital which is $1000 a day.

So Drea, when you where recovering it wasn't too bad?

I can't believe how fast my SRS date is flying up. It seems like just yesterday it was six months out and a lifetime away. Now it looms in the not so distant future and I worry about the expense and to a larger extent the recovery that I will be going through.

For the people that have already had SRS how was your recovery? The only surgery that I have had that I can remember was when I had to have all four impacted wisdom teeth dug out of my mouth. The recovery for that sucked but I didn't take the pain medication after the second day and instead used over the counter Advil because I was afraid of becoming addicted to the pain medication. I know thats nothing like SRS but if anyone has had their wisdom teeth removed and SRS could it be possible to quantify the pain of recovery for SRS based on the recovery from the wisdom teeth being pulled?

Thanks

Natalie

Yes indeed how time flies.

It has been 10 weeks since my GCS with Dr. Mcginn, for me the first 6 - 8 weeks were the worst though everyone's recovery will probably be different depending on age, health issues and if there are any complications after surgery, i only have granulation tissue which i hear is fairly common, Dr. Mcginn is aggressive in wanting it treated with silver nitrate, my recovery has been steady however there are slight setbacks when i have my silver nitrate sessions, you may not need those, towards the end of week 9 most redish discharge stopped though there is slight spotting, sitting has become easier without the doughnut except for hard surfaces like picnic tables and such, for the first 2 weeks i was not allowed to lift more than 5 pounds, now i can list almost anything within reason, i felt good enough this weekend to go to a charity golf outing and played in an 18 hole scramble with friends and afterward relaxed at a friends home, and no i did not neglect dilating, this is one of the most important things to do, especially in the beginning, i did it before golf, before going to my friends home and before bed.

Many years ago I had 3 wisdom teeth removed, the pain killer made me sick so i just took Motrin, i have a high pain tolerance and after GCS only needed the morphine pump during the night after surgery and a shot of morphine the next evening, the rest of the time if i needed anything which was infrequent i was given Vicodin/Tylenol, now i only take Motrin, yesterday i forgot to take my afternoon and evening Motrin and did not have any discomfort.

Dr. Sherman Leis i believe operates out of Lower Bucks hospital the same as Dr. Mcginn, i saw the two of them talking when i was going to pre op and a day later the nurses were talking about how each surgeon has their own procedure book for them to follow after surgery, the staff and nurses at Lower Bucks Hospital were wonderful and the food is not shabby either.

I was off from work for six weeks, that is Dr. Mcginn's recommendation, though i felt good enough to go back after the fifth week but took the extra week off, it depends on what you do, i telecommute from home so finding time to dilate is not hard, if you go to an office it could be difficult finding time and a secluded secure place to do it.

If you would like to talk more pm me.

Paula

Guest NatalieRene

Yes I think that is the hospital I will be having my SRS done at too.

I've heard that I will have to flush out my bowls and not be able to eat at all the day before. Not to mention going off my estrogen for a month. It's going to be a real trial just making it through the month of August.

I don't have very much pto time and I have to get back to work quicker than I would like.I'm planning on taking off the first two weeks entirely and then working from home for the next 3 weeks and on the fifth to sixth week returning back to work on site.

Hopefully that is a realistic recovery plan I have set.

Where your wisdom teeth impacted?

Yep, one had a teeny bit out but both were rotated and pushing. They had to knock me out completely.

I would use the term discomfort rather than pain to describe post SRS. And I know others who would describe it the same.

Pretty much I found out how to sit where I didn't put pressure on the sore areas. I found the doughnut to be pretty useless as I had a cracked tail bone.

I got around pretty easily and after the first couple weeks the issue was endurance, and time with post surgery things that kept me out of work rather than any difficulties. I worked from home about 20 hours or so per work during the time frame. Occasionally had to go into the office for a meeting.

Guest ~Brenda~

Dearest Natalie :)

I remember when you first joined Laura's :) There were periods of time when you were away and I wondered if you were ever going to come back. Each time that you did come back you had evolved and matured even more than the last. To see you now becoming the woman that you are has been both inspiring and moving. I remember the angst that you had when you were first coming out to your parents. Just look at you now.

Indeed, time does pass quickly.

Before you even know it, you will be posting "1 year since my SRS"

Love you

Brenda

Guest NatalieRene

Yep, one had a teeny bit out but both were rotated and pushing. They had to knock me out completely.

I would use the term discomfort rather than pain to describe post SRS. And I know others who would describe it the same.

Pretty much I found out how to sit where I didn't put pressure on the sore areas. I found the doughnut to be pretty useless as I had a cracked tail bone.

I got around pretty easily and after the first couple weeks the issue was endurance, and time with post surgery things that kept me out of work rather than any difficulties. I worked from home about 20 hours or so per work during the time frame. Occasionally had to go into the office for a meeting.

So it was just a discomfort for you? How was dilation?

Dearest Natalie :)

I remember when you first joined Laura's :) There were periods of time when you were away and I wondered if you were ever going to come back. Each time that you did come back you had evolved and matured even more than the last. To see you now becoming the woman that you are has been both inspiring and moving. I remember the angst that you had when you were first coming out to your parents. Just look at you now.

Indeed, time does pass quickly.

Before you even know it, you will be posting "1 year since my SRS"

Love you

Brenda

Thanks Brenda for such kind words. :) I know I have my moments where I'm not here as much. What with life and all but I'll never be totally gone. It is funny you mention people who transition that inspire others. I remember looking up to other members here, on youtube, and on DC101 there is a local person who was interviewed all the way through her transition. I remember hearing about her on the radio and seeing people on youtube shortly there after and coming to the realization that transition was possible. If I can be of help to others even just by showing others it is possible like the others who helped me knowing or unknowing brings tears of joy to my eyes.

So it was just a discomfort for you?

I can't think of a better way to describe it. It certainly was possible to aggravate things and make them hurt, and some times that was unavoidable, but the old saying "it hurts when I do thing...well don't do that" is very applicable.

How was dilation?

Taking it slow, as directed with good amounts of lube, mostly messy.

Guest sarah f

Congrats Natalie on your upcoming surgery. The day is fast approaching for you. I am so happy for you to be able to complete this part of your journey. I like your new photo. You are looking good by the way. Good Luck with your surgery. I hope you have an easy recovery as possible.

Guest NatalieRene

Thanks Sarah. :) That photo is back from March. I've made more progress since then. Mostly my waist is shrinking a little and my butt seems like it's getting bigger. That and my hair has finally reached my shoulders. :)

Guest Leah1026
For the people that have already had SRS how was your recovery?

Short-term: My bowels were slow to wake up after surgery and THAT made me uncomfortable. My surgical site was a minor annoyance in comparison. Once I was finally able to have a BM on Day 5 things improved significantly. Just do as many laps as you can around the nursing unit, the exercise will help your recovery.

Long-term: The biggest challenge after getting home is establishing a routine. How to set-up for dilation, clean-up and just getting used to everything. Do have plenty of supplies*** on hand BEFORE you go for surgery, because after you get home you won't want to go out much for a while. Once you're got a routine down it becomes... well routine! Although you're dilating so much at the beginning sometimes it does get tiresome. But soon enough the frequency starts to drop and life eventually assumes a new "normal".

One more note. Although I felt great when I left the hospital the doctor said things would look and feel worst about a week after I got home. And it was true! I developed a reddened area that took about 4 weeks to get better. It was never painful per se, just a bit irritated. But it gave my vulva what I called an "angry" appearance until it healed. Quick warm baths before and/or after dilation are helpful in soothing things as well.

*** Panty-liners, lube, disposable bed protectors (aka "chux"), paper towels etc.

Good Luck!