• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Thin Skin

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

I think this has been noted in various threads as an effect of HRT in transwomen, but I'll post the question rather than read through all these threads.

Over the past 8 weeks or so, I've noticed that my skin is far more easily cut, bruised and scraped than it used to be. Even wearing a watch can cause irritation or an abrasion. My arms now have half a dozen such boo boos. I've been on HRT for 18 months.

So is HRT the likely cause, and if so, is there anything to be done about it or is it just something I have to learn to live with? Thanks

Carolyn Marie

Guest Emily Ray

It is because you are now a woman! Yes, HRT thins the skin. I am convinced that is the reason behind wearing soft silk! Now you have an excuse to go buy that cashmere sweater for the fall.

Huggs

Emily

Guest Donna Jean

Carolyn......

I have the same problem and I believe it to be a combination of the HRT and my age....

I cut, scratch and bruise easily...

Donna Jean

Guest Vixen Amber

Not for me, I am always freezing and when I get hot it just persists all day :( It's always more extreme for me too. Hotter and colder than I used to get.

Guest Isabella_Anne

I guess we all have to remember were delicate flowers now. Soft silks and lace are now the norm. Can someone tell me there not looking forward to wearing soft pretty clothes? I know I am. I think my mothers finally getting the idea of having a shopping buddy which is fine with me. I actually love shopping but I hid it for so long. Anyway easy on yourselves girls. Your sugar and spice and everything nice now.

Isabella

Guest Lacey Lynne

Carolyn, hey, I'm on HRT for 19 months now and have the very same problem. Also, shaving hurts upon rinsing now. Actually, I dread beard removal for this very reason. Like, whatever, right?

Peace :rolleyes: Lacey

• Forum Moderator

Wow, that just started to happen after 18 months? When I was on hrt I was getting bruises at around 3 months. HRT does thin the skin.

• Forum Moderator

Ah that thicker skin men have. Funny I was just saying to my daughter tonight it is one of the best perks of T.

I have always had unusually thin dry skin. I could brush against something and cut myself or badly bruise. I used to seriously worry about skin tears as I aged. Not anymore. Not only that but my fine wrinkles are gone and I didn't peel after my last sunburn. Which is a lifetime first. It's got to be T and I love it.

Sorry Carolyn. But you get to wear lots of pretty clothes instead of having tough skin. I bet it's a good trade off for you :D

Hugs & Love

Johnny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sascha

Yes skin will thin. I got a tattoo with letters that became much more readable, I have that one for over 15 years and it became a bit unreadable, but now it's back! so, while anecdotal: it works for me! :lol: