• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Redundance: Coming Out To My Mother

Guest Zane

So yesterday I came out to my mother/father.

I thought she'd take it hard, not real hard.

And we has already had a transgender family friend before.

When I came outs she mentioned her, the problem is now she thinks I'm sexually abused. Turns out her friend was sexually abused as a child, so yea. Also she thinks I'm doing this to fit in. Ugh the chance of that is 0%.

But anyways, can anyone give me websited so she can read things about trans teens? Not just Lauras.

Thanks and thanks.

Guest Isabella_Anne

Well here's what I use for reference.

www.susans.org Lots of good info there,

www.transsexual.org Really good info in easy to understand language.

www.tsroadmap.com Another huge resource

Be smarter than everyone around. Print stuff out for family members if your able. You are your own best advocate. Its your life. Find a therapist in your area that specializes in transgender patients.

Kisses,

Isabella

Guest Lacey Lynne

Well here's what I use for reference.

www.susans.org Lots of good info there,

www.transsexual.org Really good info in easy to understand language.

www.tsroadmap.com Another huge resource

Be smarter than everyone around. Print stuff out for family members if your able. You are your own best advocate. Its your life. Find a therapist in your area that specializes in transgender patients.

Kisses,

Isabella

Zane:

Hey, man, Isabella gave you "The Big Three" websites. They're all superb.

Finally, nothing "sells" like success. Why not show them stories about successful, well-adjusted and happy transpeople? Marketing folks would call these testimonials. Two websites in particular are The Bomb for stories like these.

Lynn Conway's website:

Looks to me like you were born female, right? Okay, here you go then. Transguys ... all born female originally.

http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TSsuccesses/TransMen.html

Karen Serenity's website:

Now that you've showed them the successful transguys, show them the successful transwomen. This way, they'll see that we're a balanced population. Incidentally, Karen was a DJ on the radio in my hometown in my teenhood. I remember that station and her very well. Like, who knew, right? Amazing. Here you go, bro:

http://www.karenserenity.com/OldSerenity/main.htm

Peace Out, Man ;) Lacey Lynne ;) Happiness to You

This books is, from what I hear, an amazing resource for parents who're trying to figure out how to go about life with transgender kids. A lot of it is clearly not directly relevant to your parents (you being a teen and all), but a fair amount of teen stuff is included--and hey, your parents might be looking back on your childhood wondering what happened?, and perhaps what this book has to say will help them realize that nothing happened, actually.

The Transgender Child: A Handbook for Families and Professionals

It's available on Amazon, but your local/school library might have it.

This is all great !!!!!

I just remembered though that she has watched the Chaz Bono documentary (i was sitting right next to her) and other ones.

I think hes jut so confused because there a lot of depression and stuff that lead up to me coming out. But these website look really great thanks peeps.

• Forum Moderator

Here are a couple more websites for you. The first is not a trans site but a news site that lists and gives a brief synopsis of the studies done that indicate this is a physical and npt a mental condition. They are all recent-within the last 2 or 3 years because the technology to study the structures of a living brain is new.

http://aebrain.blogspot.com/p/reference-works-on-transsexual-and.html

The other site is a trans site by a transsexual Gender Therapist that is a goldmine of information that is very easy to read and understand but packed with advise and wisdom

http://www.firelily.com/gender/gianna/frustration.html

Good luck! Denial seems to be a component when we tell our parents no matter how GLBT friendly and wise they may be. What is okay for other's just isn't for your own child, but very often they work on through the denial and eventually come to terms with the reality of a transgendered child.

Johnny