• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Yikes!

Guest Huff

So....

a few weeks ago, I finally told my parents that I had chest surgery by sending them some pictures through email. They didn't call for three weeks. I think they were a little upset, but I made it pretty clear in my email that I wasn't interested in arguing with them about it. Anyway, a couple of days ago my Mom told me that she had my father talk to my grandparents about it this week while he was in Chicago (where they live) on business. I was totally not expecting them to do that and was planning on telling them myself in October or November. Now I'm trying to decide whether to call my grandparents or to write them and trying to figure out when I'm going to officially let the rest of the extended family know, since the 'cat's out of the bag' now. It's been pretty easy so far to just not tell them, since I live all the way in Washington and they're all in Chicago, Pennsylvania, and Georgia. I'm kinda scared... mostly because they're going to be hurt and confused and angry and also because there's a 98% chance that they're NOT going to change pronouns and use my correct name just because I ask them to.

And, they don't really need to understand... I only have to see them once every year or so anyway. but there is still that part of my heart that wants them to 'get it' or at least accept it and call me by my name just because they are 'family'.

MK

Guest StrandedOutThere

I know what you mean. I'm still trying to bring myself to talk to my family. Feeling like I am causing hurt and confusion for others is not cool. I really need my family to accept me, but I know that coming out to them is going to cause a lot of uproar before the healing can start.

Maybe I'm not at the exact stage of things as you, but I think I'm probably feeling at least some of the same stuff. Right now I am kind of in this stage where I realize that although transition is going to bring about a lot of positive things for me, there are some very real negative consequences that I am going to have to deal with. I don't know if you have already gone through that or are still going through it or whatever...but man...it's tough.

Well... I had the conversation with the grandparents today and nobody died, so that's good. It all pretty much went as expected. There is a slim hope that my grandma might come around a bit 'cause she asked if I thought I was handsome, soo... that was cool, I guess. Otherwise, they were "devastated" and "didn't know if they could ever possibly cope with this" and they've enlisted the local nuns to pray for me too, which is kind of cute and works for me since prayers are always good to have.

At least now it's in the open.

MK

Guest raydub

MK!

Im not sure how to feel for you..but it looks like things are at least "OK". Going through the family crapola a little myself, so i can relate. Gratz really on getting the message across though, and for getting through the conversation with your grandparents. I cant quite imagine how difficult that could have been.

You give me hope man. Thanks.

Ray

Guest StrandedOutThere
Well... I had the conversation with the grandparents today and nobody died, so that's good. It all pretty much went as expected. There is a slim hope that my grandma might come around a bit 'cause she asked if I thought I was handsome, soo... that was cool, I guess. Otherwise, they were "devastated" and "didn't know if they could ever possibly cope with this" and they've enlisted the local nuns to pray for me too, which is kind of cute and works for me since prayers are always good to have.

At least now it's in the open.

MK

Sounds like it went pretty okay. Glad to hear it. I know it must feel mega-good to have everything out in the open.