• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finding An Endocrinologist

Guest sinivalkoinen
I'm looking for an endocrinologist in the European Union who could give me a legal prescription for HRT and Avodart.

Anyone here who could suggest me a good one?

Hi, and welcome to the playground! I am sure someone from Europe will have an answer for you. I am ethnically Danish, but I live in far, far away California so I don't have any info for you myself. Feel free to post in the introduction section since you are new here, and you can ask the same question there. You might find a quicker response that way, but I am sure someone will check here like I did, in due time. :)

Stephanie

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I'm pretty much decided that I want to go forward with hormones. I just don't know where to start, should I try to go to a center that's focused on trans health care, or should I try to go through my network? I just don't know what to do.

• 7 months later...

So last Thursday I started on my patch, so I've been on estrogen for about a week.  I don't think I've felt any of the effects yet, but I've just been so happy and elated since I've gotten it.  My doctors said they would look into sublingual tablets (which is what I wanted) because they didn't know much about them, but I'll do the patch until then, because I guess that's what they're most familiar with.  The closer I've gotten to this milestone, and since then, I've just grown more and more certain that this is absolutely what I want and I cannot wait until I can fully live my life as my true self.  I feel like I finally have something to live for, and it's not even anything specific, it's just being content to living as myself.

Clearly just because a doctor is an Endo doesn't mean they are experienced or interested in helping trans people. I procured a list of all the Endos in my HMO from my primary doctor and then I called each office (around 50 of them!!) and asked if they treat transgender women. I found there to be three common responses:

1. -Yes
  2. -No
  3. -Let me check

Yes and no are pretty obvious but sometimes the Let me Check turned out to be a yes because that person just wasn't aware and/or were caught off guard.

I will say one other thing though, before you make the appointment ask what exactly they require for the referral letter. While WPATH only states that a letter is required from a licensed mental health professional (that covers a lot of ground) in the older codes and is now changed to only requiring informed consent, my Endo wanted a letter from a shrink with a doctorate for some reason. I went through hell finding a psychiatrist that was interested in seeing a trans person and their fees are WAY more expensive than a regular therapist and many want more than one appointment for this letter.

If I were to do it again, I would have gone to a trans clinic in San Francisco, got the prescription then after establishing myself on the HRT (2-3 months), then start seeing my local HMO Endo because they no longer require a letter because you're already established.

She's a very cute tiny little woman. She treats both me and my wife for other reasons as well as my HRT and she seemed rather excited for me. Shes always trying to get me a referral to a voice place and I keep having to remind her my insurance likely doesn't pay for that and I'll worry about that later. I guess she's actually the only doctor I'm ever excited to see, but that's because as my wife puts it "she's in charge of the Fiona-Pills". :D 

• 1 year later...
  • Dev unpinned this topic