• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Something Interesting Just Happened In Conversation With My Brother

Guest Orva26

Guest Orva26

I've been out to my younger (and only) brother for probably around a month now. I have talked with him a few times since then. We usually run the full gambit, what's going on in our lives, politics, our special brand of random wacky conversations. Into that gambit I have been interjecting transgenderism in general and my own being trans and plans.

The first few times that is exactly what it was; I was interjecting. But now he has begun to bring it up. Today he went straight from our typical conversations based mostly on inside jokes we've held for years to asking me if I started hormones. We talked for a bit about it. How I haven't started yet because I still have stuff to do in preparation. I even voiced some of my concerns to him and then it was right back to how we always talk. It seems this isn't an awkward topic for him rather just a new thing we can talk about together.

Throughout my life my father has always commented that my brother would fight tooth and nail for me, always standing by my side. I think he was dead right, my brother will prove to be a great advocate and support for me. Its strange, as an older sibling I always tried to be protective but I'm glad my brother doesn't need a shield from this, from me, rather he can be a pillar for me.

I am grateful for this.

-Orva

Guest PhoebeJoan

Thats so cool Orva! Congrats for having an awesome and supportive brother and also how you have handled it. It's great that he doesnt seem awkward about it. That's the makings of a life-long support for you.

Im also keen to tell my brother(18months younger) very soon, and pray for a similar reception. I'll take your approach on board :)

Phoebe

Guest Krista Achorn

Hi Orva;

Thanks for sharing that, I'm glad that you and your brother are talking and that he is asking questions. This is a good sign. Transition is a process and I'm in that process as well. Hang in there, as you mentioned, good things are possible.

Krista

• Forum Moderator

Lucky girl Orva! i am so happy that you have this source of strength and support in your life.

And he is lucky to have a special sister as well

Hugs

Johnny

Guest Julie T

Ova

This is not exactly a miracle, but almost, I think? It is rare to have a family member support you unconditionally, but to have one that is already so very close to you is just a wonderful thing. Hugg him deeply for all of us when you two next meet.

Julie