• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hrt And Kids

Guest chibi_usa

HRT And Kids  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Would he prescribe me HRT and would I have kids?

• Yes he would still prescribe you the weaker HRT and you will have kids
    • It is not possible to be on HRT and still have kids
    • If you tell him you want kids he will NOT prescribe you HRT.

Guest chibi_usa

Well... I want to have HRT AND have kids. Well I was wondering... Is it possible to be on HRT and have kids? Like as in... If the HRT was weak enough to make me look more feminine but still have kids? And do you think my therapist would still allow me to have HRT if I told him I wanted a weaker dose of HRT so I could have kids? The reason why I'm asking this at Laura's is because I don't want to risk the chance of getting HRT. To everyone that replies, thanks for helping =D

Please do not answer with

-Sperm Bank

-Adopt

I already decided I want 2 of my own kids and 1 adopted. =D

Guest Donna Jean

Is it possible to be on HRT and have kids?

Sure it's possible......

But, no doctor can tell you how big of a dose over X amount of time will make you sterile, how big breasts will grow or any other thing for sure......

Taking HRT in ANY amount is a crap shoot.....

There is just no way to know what will happen/when.....

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Julie T

Chibi

There is no way to know. I have been told, no, and that HRT in any strength to give you feminizing results, also makes you sterile. You will have to talk to your doctor, and I am guessing he will say no to HRT if you have any doubts.

Julie

Guest Aly Kat

I don't understand... you eliminated the only two answers I think... unless you're a lesbian I guess? I dunno...

but yeah... you probably would be sterile on any transition-level dosage

I already decided I want 2 of my own kids and 1 adopted. =D

I plan on adopting when the time comes... and they will be my "own" kids <_<

...and there's no guarantee you can have kids now. my cis-aunt&uncle can't have children due to medical issues.

sorry if my answer sounds angry or blunt-ish. not meant that way... the topic makes me depressed =( prolly my biggest source of dysphoria

Alison

• Admin

One solution that is often mentioned is sperm banking. It does work and can be effective.

Here is one Sperm BankQ & A that seems pretty good: http://www.cryogam.com/SB-FAQ%27s.html

The cost they list is about $1,000 for one cryogenic process and 5 years of storage.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Alexandra89

I can't guess about most of them, but my doctor would not have allowed me to continue more than a month on hormones if I said I wanted children and I wasn't planning on sperm banking. Biology isn't like a computer - you can't tweak it to the digit.

I'm not planning on having children, but if I ever get so baby-crazy that I can't stand it I would adopt. I am not fond enough of my genetic material (complete with crippling seasonal allergies and susceptibility to stomach, gall bladder, and pancreatic cancer) to feel the need to spit it any further into the gene pool. In fact, I would be happier adopting children than fathering them. I'd prefer mothering them to either of those things if kids were for me, but that isn't going to happen.

If you want kids that are gentically your own , you had better bank the baby batter, or have those two kids before you start HRT. from what i have read, and the word of a few different endocrinologist. temporary sterility typically happens with in 3-6 months of starting a theraputic( feminizing dose) of hrt. permenant sterility fallows shortly after . there are lower doses that work slightly slower, but in the end they will damage your ability to have children if not stop it all together.

i started HRT long before the thought crossed my mind that i might want some babies some were down the road. now my biological clocks alarm is blaring with no way to turn it off, so a word of caution . if kids are something you seriously want , then you had better think long and hard. before you take that first dose. because there is no going back.

Sakura

Guest EvenClose

No easy way to go about this Chibi. Hrt will make ya sterile. It will probably come down to transition or children. If you could wait for hrt till after your sure to have the 2nd child then thats probably the best option. Otherwise anti-androgens are just that. They kinda take the ability to "make things happen" away. You might be able to get on a certain amount of E to do something like what your talking about, but don't count on it.

Your doctor is gonna have the best advice. Talk to them. Cause like I said with Hrt its kinda all or nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Miranda

Guest Miss_Construe

I don't understand... you eliminated the only two answers I think... unless you're a lesbian I guess? I dunno...

but yeah... you probably would be sterile on any transition-level dosage

I plan on adopting when the time comes... and they will be my "own" kids <_<

...and there's no guarantee you can have kids now. my cis-aunt&uncle can't have children due to medical issues.

sorry if my answer sounds angry or blunt-ish. not meant that way... the topic makes me depressed =( prolly my biggest source of dysphoria

Alison

Well, This is my answer as well.

April

Guest Julie T

Chibi

This is my second reply and I wish to add that a postponed transition is not impossible. I had my three children and I am very happy I did. Transitioning was a major factor in my life, but if I had to do it again, I would still have waited until after my children were born.

Julie.

• Forum Moderator

Chibi, I feel the same as Julie about having had my child. It would have been a very different and perhaps infinitely sadder life without her and now my grandchild. BUT I paid a price too. And I do wish I had transitioned while she was still a baby. It would have been better for all of us.

Another factor to consider is the effect that any hormones might have on the health of your sperm. I read somewhere that it can be affected and it can possibly cause birth defects. Hormones are powerful with far reaching consequences. I can imagine nothing worse than having a child with birth defects for which I was responsible and I am fairly sure there has not been enough research done to rule that out. Another reason I doubt any Dr would go along with the idea. The potential consequences are just too dire.

Sperm banking may not be your ideal solution but to me it seems the only one other than delaying transition completely, And that especially would include any of the purportedly feminizing supplements because they are also unknown as far as causing alterations which can cause birth defects. It isn't only your life you are gambling with then.

I hope you reach a decision that will bring you peace.

Hugs

Johnny

Guest Julie T

Chibi?

One last comment? If you tell your doctor you do want children, I doubt you will be allowed to go on HRT. So you will probably do best to make a firm decision as early as possible, certainly before talking to the doctor. I don't envy you on that, and only you can know enough about yourself to do that.

Julie

Guest Vixen Amber

HRT at any level makes you shoot blanks. Asking to be on it and still be able to have kids is like having your cake and eating it too. Sorry, the only answers I have are the ones you don't wanna hear. Good luck.

Without testosterone, the sertoli cells in the testes stop making sperm, due to certain chemical messages being blocked or missing.

hGC is commonly used to treat male infertility, as it substitutes for the missing or blocked chemical messages, and which stimulates production of both testosterone and sperm. I've heard of someone on HRT taking hGC with the intent of "rebooting" their fertility and supposedly successfully conceiving. But we hear lots of things. I would not bet on it. Visit the sperm bank if you want to be sure. And you'll be flooding yourself with T in the process. It's OK if that's what you want though.