• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

will i still be able to exercise on hrt?

Guest yuki

Hi all, right now I am a cross-country runner/basketball player I was wondering 2 things about that.

1. If I am on hrt can I still do those things without causing harm (if so how long till I can re-participate in those).

2. If I am on hrt can I still play for my school team or is MTF hrt cause of a failed test or 2...

I know I should talk to my endo just to check but, I was wondering if anyone has any info on it.

Thanks in advance,

Yuki

I don't know about drug testing for HRT other than there are transsexual athletes.

As far as exercising on HRT, I don't see any problem with it. I've been exercising just as regularly after starting HRT as I did before with no side effects.

{{{Hugs}}}

Jenny

Guest Lacey Lynne

You most certainly CAN exercise on HRT!

Look at my avatar photo ... I'm pushing age 60 in a few years. At this point, I'm on HRT for 1 year and 8 months. The shape I'm in is BECAUSE of exercising regularly and having a healthy diet. If I can do it, YOU can do it.

Now, if you're MTF and taking estrogen, you WILL lose muscle mass and strength! Take that into account! Be realistic! You may have to eventually tone down your activities to match your strength and recovery levels on HRT. LIsten to your body, and don't overdo it.

Angelique on here was bigtime into bodybuilding and was HUGE and RIPPED back in guy mode. Look at her today! Babe City. Mind you, she's no youngster ... she's my age, actually. My point? HRT works MIRACLES ... even on us old-timers!

Proviso: Your Mileage May Vary! Results differ. Go with yours.

Peace & Success to You :thumbsup: Lacey Lynne

Yes you can exercise while on hrt, i have been on hrt for over 3 years and worked out with a personal trainer over the past year to get myself into shape and lose weight so i could have my GCS, since my surgery i take walks but nothing too strenuous, i like riding my bike and can't wait till i can start riding again.

Paula

Guest _addison_

yeah for sure! i still play hockey and i dont kno how id survive without it! the only difference is i feel a lot more awkward taking off my shirt in the dressing room now LOL

Guest Ann Onymous

You discuss playing on a school team...much of the answer depends on what level is being discussed. That caveat in mind, HRT for an M2F is not likely to trigger a disqualifying drug test as would result for someone doping with T or HGH. Beyond that, yeah, you can still exercise and compete while on HRT...I was in a position to play D1 softball early on in my HRT days...but, before I could suit up for that school, my job took me to another part of the State and it was when Texas was getting transfers from UCLA's national championship team- kind of ruined any shot of walking on. I was good, but not THAT good (even though I did later showcase my skills as one of the few people who could consistently hit Cat).

Can you exercise, yes.

Some things I have noticed. I'll give you some of my times to compare. I was a 1:30 half marathon, 3:15 marathon, 41:?? 10k, my 5k times were terrible. I could never break 20. As a cyclist I was under an hour for a 40k tt many times. 58:36 as my best. (just so you know that's >25mph for 25 miles.)

I'm just over 5mths HRT. Admittedly, I haven't been running that much. One reason is the bounce. Even with a good jog bra, the bounce is killing me. It's only because they are growing, but for now, running is out. I can still bike.

I will warn you, the lower testosterone will take it's toll. My times have come down. My recovery is longer and I find I'm tired all the time. The trade off is, well unacceptable to me. I want a t level where the cis female would be and to have that, I'm gonna lose some performance,

Good luck

Autumn

Guest IsabelleStPierre

Greetings,

I've been on HRT so many years now that I've lost count. I exercise almost daily and have no problems what so ever. I cycle 500+ miles per week and used to actually commute to work on my bike, which was 52-miles round trip. When the weather isn't conducive to riding outside (my low temp limit is 25-degrees) I have a treadmill, stationary bike, and some free weights. I do do weights, but I keep the weight low as my intent is to stay toned and not build muscle mass.

The one thing exercise does do is it cause your metabolism to run higher than most peoples and this includes metabolizing any medications you take. Just something to keep in mind and to talk to your Endo about when you see them.

Peace, love, and contentment,

Isabelle