• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

HRT and effect on blood pressure

Guest Isabella_Anne

Guest Isabella_Anne

Hi all,

I was recently reading a thread and the discussion was about the effects of HRT and body smell. Some of the posters stated that there blood pressure was high (140/90) and after they were on HRT for a time it dropped to 120/70 which is what I would consider a "normal" blood pressure. I too have a blood pressure of basically 140/90. Now this is for MtoF transsexual and I have no idea what the FtoM blood pressure range has been or if it even changes.

So my question is: How many MtoF TS have had higher blood pressure and after starting HRT for a time there blood pressure has dropped to what would be considered a lower or more "normal" pressure of 120/70 range?

Thanks,

Isabella

Guest JaniceW

I was treated for high blood pressure for many years and it was controlled by medication to about 140-150/ 90-100. After three weeks of HRT my pressure was measured at 118/72 and most recently was 103/62. The only medication change was HRT.

Your lifestyle affects your blood pressure more than anything else. Spironolactone is an anti-androgen and also used by doctors to lower your blood pressure. So your answer is yes. Your blood pressure can decrease using hormones.

{{{hugs}}}

Jenny

Guest Donna Jean

My blood pressure was high before HRT and lower after,.....

But, it's no big mystery....

In the U.S. HRT usually consists of two things ...Estrogen and Spironolactone... (known commonly as Spiro...)..

Spiro is used as the anti-androgen in the treatment.....

BUT...

It's primary purpose before HRT was use as a blood pressure reducing medication....

So......

Obviously that and the usually better life style tend to get the 'ole BP down...

Donna Jean

• Admin

I have been on a mild dosage of blood pressure medicine (Lisinopril) for several years, and my pressure had been in the 120/70 range. It didn't really change much with the start of HRT.

On the other hand, its had a significant effect on my blood sugar levels, to the point where I've been able to decrease my insulin dosage. :D HRT does a body good!

Carolyn Marie

Guest Christine Alexa

My doctor took me off Lisinopril due to both HRT, and getting my weight to a healthy weight. It had gotten to where my BP was only 95/65 and I was light headed everytime I stood up, and that was on *** lisinopril (originally, when I weighted 90 lbs more than I do now, I was ****).

So, YES between the sprio and the better lifestyle, my BP is down to 110/75 most days.

Christine

Edited by MaryEllen
Dosages removed
Guest Leah1026

Spironolactone, which we take as an anti-androgen pre-operateively, was originally developed as a blood pressure medication. *Really* So hearing people say it improved their blood pressure is not a surprise. It is a potassium sparing diuretic. It lowers blood pressure by getting the body to get rid of excess fluid.

• Forum Moderator

I also stopped taking Lisinopril after starting HRT. In my case using the Lisinopril and Spironolactone lowered my blood pressure too much. I run about 110 / 70 now, with only the spiro, exercise, and diet. I feel great.

Cindy -

Guest Michaele

I was on lisinopril to get my blood pressure from 155/90 down to 120/80. I changed my diet and quit the meds six month ago. The BP had been running 146/82, then I started the HRT three weeks ago. Had to see the Dr. last week for a minor problem, and the BP was 122/80.

Big Hugs

Shelley

Guest Julie T

That was my post you quote I think. Before HRT I consistently had higher blood pressure but at best I could get it down to 140/90, and it was usually higher. My doctors were more concerned with the 90 diastolic. After about a month or two on HRT I was testing at 120/70. Since then it has been more 116/65 or that range. About a month ago I was feeling light headed and my reading was 93/53 and that wasn't good. I split my spiro pills in two and take one half at night, one half in the morning and it got better. So it helps to have a home blood pressure kit. If you take your pills and feel light headed or especially cold, check your blood pressure.

Check Your Health Internet site

Blood pressure of 120/80 mmHg is normal. Low blood pressure is a top number reading lower than 90 or pressure 25 mmHg lower than usual. Moderate to severe high blood pressure is a top number 160 or over or the bottom number of 100 or over.

Wikipedia

Category systolic diastolic Hypotension < 90 < 60 Desirable 90 - 119 60 - 79 Prehypertension 120 – 139 or 80 – 89 Stage 1 Hypertension 140 – 159 or 90 – 99 Stage 2 Hypertension 160 - 179 or 100 - 109 Hypertensive Crisis ≥ 180

-

Julie

• Forum Moderator

Hi all,

I was recently reading a thread and the discussion was about the effects of HRT and body smell. Some of the posters stated that there blood pressure was high (140/90) and after they were on HRT for a time it dropped to 120/70 which is what I would consider a "normal" blood pressure. I too have a blood pressure of basically 140/90. Now this is for MtoF transsexual and I have no idea what the FtoM blood pressure range has been or if it even changes.

So my question is: How many MtoF TS have had higher blood pressure and after starting HRT for a time there blood pressure has dropped to what would be considered a lower or more "normal" pressure of 120/70 range?

Thanks,

Isabella

ME ME ME!!! (jumping around excitedly)

I was on "E" by itself (no androgen blockers) about 5-6 years ago. At the start my BP was fine, around 120/80. Then it started to creep up to around 140 over something. That Dr never put me on anything for the BP and just referred me back to my primary, who said it was a high normal and wouldn't give me anything either. So they ended up taking me off hrt due to the rise in BP.

Going on HRT has still been a huge goal of mine. I don't really see myself as having any other options. But since I've moved, I had to start the whole thing all over from the beginning. Had to see a GT long enough to get a letter, find a Doc, get a physical and all of that happy happy joy joy stuff.

But, the Doc started me on Spiro a month ago as my BP is a little high. And since it's a bp issue, insurance is covering it except for $5 a month. They're also covering the lab work and the Doctor's appointments.

At least now I don't have to see the GT for a while. I got my letter this past week. See the Doc again next Friday to cover hormone options and probably start on Estrogen this coming Saturday.

Guest Alexandra89

I started at a low blood pressure even for my age (genetic and dietary causes) so my endo put me on half the starting dosage of spiro. Luckily it was enough to keep the T down, but he does encourage me to seek medical attention quickly if I get sick or start feeling lightheaded. I've been okay so far, probably because I've developed a taste for food pickled in brine lately.

Spironolactone is an anti-androgen and also used by doctors to lower your blood pressure. So your answer is yes. Your blood pressure can decrease using hormones.

I don't know about "hormones" lowering blood prressure. Spironolactor is a blood pressure medication used as an T inhibitor for trans. Since it is a BP medication I imagine, suprise of all suprises, it tends to lowwer blood pressure if taken with HRT.

Guest Donna Jean
Spironolactone is an anti-androgen and also used by doctors to lower your blood pressure. So your answer is yes. Your blood pressure can decrease using hormones.

I don't know about "hormones" lowering blood prressure. Spironolactor is a blood pressure medication used as an T inhibitor for trans. Since it is a BP medication I imagine, suprise of all suprises, it tends to lowwer blood pressure if taken with HRT.

Drea is correct.....

Spiro is not a hormone!

dj

• Admin

Spiro blocks your normal T from being "received" by the other body cells, and thus it goes out your pee system, which the spiro speeds up. I was put on Spiro by my normal body doctor when another medication was crashing my potassium levels, and I was having to take potassium supplements. What did I know, but my endocrinologist pointed the "side effect" out to me, and then said it was a good thing, since a smaller doseage of E was a good thing and cut the chances of nasty side effects from the E. At my age, any improvement in the odds of sticking around to enjoy things for a while more is great.

The fact that most of us who go on HRT hit a point of stress relief and affirmation when we go onto the Estrogen, and that by itself lowers the BP. I smile a whole lot more than ever before, and thats supposed to do something for stress.