• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trachea Shave

Guest Stephanie Butterfield

I go into hospital on September 1st for my Trachea Shave. I will be under anaesthetic, the operation will take approximately 45 minutes and I will stay overnight. I will have to book in at or before 8 am at the Freeman hospital ENT dept, just cannot wait. I have since asked my voice therapist who was present at my consultation meeting with the surgeon if she will refer me for vocal cord work too, but I feel she won't as I've asked before.

Stephanie

I've purchased some new nightwear for my hospital visit, nightie, a robe and a pair of slippers.

So I'm ready for the off, 6 days to go.

Stephanie

Hi gang,

I'm now post op throat surgery, I was in the operating theatre 2 and a half hours and I'm now in recovery. The pain and discomfort is not allowing me the luxury of sleep and eating solids is still very hard to do. My stitches come out on friday. I am lucky I have my friend Janice to drive me around and be there for me.

I had the full works the Trachea Shave and Vocal cords surgery, I haven't lost my voice, its a bit gravely at present but I am told that is normal. Once the swelling goes down my voice will be a significant pitch higher than it was before.

Stephanie

September 1st

I got up at 5.45 am to get my things ready for the hospital. Janice got here at aproximately 6.50. We got to the Freeman Hospital at about 7.50, and booked in at reception before making our way to ward 10. Once at ward 10, I booked in at the ENT dept. I then sat in the waiting room until I was shown to my room by a nurse, it was a room to myself which suited me.

I had my first visit from a male nurse at about 8.15, he took some details of my medical history. At 8.20 Professor Wilson visited me to discuss the operation, the expectations and the procedure, she told me that my voice therapist had agreed that my pitch range is very unpredictable, so therefore approved of me havibg vocal cords surgery if it was what I wanted, I said yes and my surgeon was then pleased to do it, as a result of which I had to sign another consent form; which I was happy to do. At 9.15 a nurse gave me a pair of surgical stockings and a gown to put on, in readiness to go down to to theatre. Once at the theatre waiting area, I was prepared by an anaesthatist and taken to the anaesthetic room where he and a colleague fitted my needles and attachments, then at 9.47 I was given my anaesthetic.

The next thing I know, is that I came round whilst I was being wheeled back to my room, I think it was approximately 2.30 pm ish in the afternoon. I was told that my surgery finished at about 12.15, after which I was taken to the theatre after care rest area. Once back in my room I was eased into my bed, I was very groggy indeed and I was fitted with a drain to capture any excess blood. Janice came at about 3.15 to see how I was, before leaving shortly after saying she would be back later, which she did with a chocolate bar and bottle of juice, neither of which I could manage at the time. She also purchased a tv card for me to have some entertainment. Janice left at about 8 pm and I settled down for the evening. I had to thank all my friends for the kind texts I was being sent. Approximately 9 pm I was given some pizza and chips for supper, but could not eat a thing, it was just too painful to eat solids, the pain of the swollen throat making it very difficult. I was given painkillers and antibiotics to ease my discomfort, and although I tried a slice of butter and bread later, I could not manage that either. At 11.25 pm, I seem to be heating up, I had a head ache, was sick twice, so the nurses took

some blankets off my bed and opened a window to cool me down.

What dissapointed me was the night nurses always referring to me as "he", "him" or "his" when discussing me whilst talking to each other. When I did ask them to stop referring to me as a male, when my

records state Stephanie, Female (indeed it was on my wrist ID), they said "we mean nothing by it", but it at least made it stop.

September 2nd

At 1.25 am my drain was replaced, sleep was nigh on impossible to acheive, and at 2.15 my window was closed as it was getting very cold. At 6.35 I managed to go to the ladies with the assistance of a nurse, at 7 am I was able to eat a bowl of corn flakes for breakfast, but nothing more solid. At 8 30 Professor Wilson came in to see me, she said that due to the low amount in the drain, my drain could be removed today, and that I could leave hospital today and that my stitches will be removed on friday. Soon after I was able to eat a ham sandwich with the aid of water. My drain was removed at 11.45 am and I was given my painkillers and antibiotics, along with a letter to give to my GP. Then after my final toilet visit, I started to get dressed to leave, changed into my skirt, blouse and shoes. Janice came at approximately 1 pm, and we made our way to the car and soon I was back home, now post op throat surgery. Still in discomfort and pain, but I know it will be worth it in the long run.

September 3rd

I got up at 6 am, no sleep all night, my eyes very sore. I was still a bit wobbly on my feet, andf the soreness was a definate downer. Janice came round later, what would I do without my friend I do not know. Another friend angie came round to see how I was getting on, and I showed her my BBC video documentary from 2006, and she said I had changed so much, also that my voice had changed marketly. I went to bed early hoping for a good night sleep.

September 4th

Yippeeee a good night sleep for first time since the op, swallowing is still a little painfull, but I am improving. This evening I was able to do some housework, so things possibly getting back to normal. I rang my voice therapist's answerphone so she could hear my voice and how it has subtly changed since surgery. My stitches come out today, and when I am comfortable eating hot solid foods again, Janice has promised to buy me a big cod and chips, which I am really looking forward to.

I am happy with the results of my surgery and Professor Wilson is a hero in my eyes, I no longer can go down to male tones, and I do not have that lump in my throat anymore, which I have longed for, for ages.

Stephanie

Guest KristinaJ

Omg lucky!! I can't wait to get this surgery. Everytime I talk I want to gut out my throat. z.z; That stupid lump in my throat makes me so maaaddd!

But enough about me hehe

Congratts! ^-^ *Big hug* It's a good thing to see a fellow girl getting something she wants done and being happy with it

Hi KristinaJ,

Thank you for your nice comments, I'ts possible that American girls may well get things associated with gender reassignment in the near future as the AMA has added its support for Gender Identity Disorder to be added to all medical insurance policies. I certainly support this, as many of my transitioning sisters and brothers in america feel harshly done by with medical insurance, and they are right.

On Friday afternoon it was time for my stitches to be removed. It was pouring with rain when we got there. After waiting nearly 20 minutes my friend Janice went to the loo, leaving me in the waiting room. Almost straight away my name was called out, so to room 9A I went.

The nurse asked me if I'd like to lie down as my stitches were removed, just as I was about to reply Janice arrived (my dutch courage to ease the pain), I asked the nurses advice and she said it would be more practicle and it may hurt; so I elected for the lie down.

As the nurse went to find a suitable room unused, I asked Janice how she found the room, and the reply startled me. Apparently a lady must have noticed us sitting together, and when Janice came back the woman said "she has just gone to room 9A I think" She, I replied, that means someone I've never met before accepted me as a woman, an absolute first.

Then the nurse came to collect us, and off to another room we went, she cut one end of the thread, and told me to grin and bear it, as she was going to pull it through in one tug. This she did, and I'm not going to lie and say it did not hurt, because it did. However it was now over, the thread was a tough blue cord type string or twine, very thin, but very strong.

Once home I looked in the mirror, there isn't that much of a scar really, but still some swelling, which I hope will go down in the forthcoming weeks.

So my stitches removed, and I got a bit of social acceptance into the bargain, marvelous.

yours

Stephanie

Guest Alexis_Kitty

Wow congrats! I'm curious if your allowed to say how much the two surgeries were. I would love to know if you cant post it maybe you could PM me... I'm still working and im on hormones but im not sure how much everything will cost. I can almost guarantee my face is going to be 20k alone :(

• 1 month later...

update

Voice Therapy ends

On September 22nd, I got a call from my voice therapist, she said she was surprised that it was 3 weeks since my throat surgery. She said she would like to see me today for a quick session, to see how I was using my voice. So hastingly I arranged to see her at 11.30 am. I Got there just on time and announced my arrival at reception. My therapist was not long in asking me into her office, and complimented me on my appearance.

After an initial chat, I was asked to do a voice recording on a dictaphone. Once finished she rewinded the recording and did a short playback. She and I were both smiling, as we both knew I had reached the optimum female voice range. She then announced "that is that", that I no longer needed voice therapy anymore, I cried as it suddenly dawned on me what I had acheived, and in no small way thanks to my voice therapist. We hugged and I thanked her for everything, and said how pleased I was that I had met her. She took a picture of me in my long black skirt, red top and 3" court shoes. She promised to write a letter of support to my psychiatrist saying that my gender reassignment surgery was appropriate, now that I have the looks and the voice of a woman.

And that was that, after 19 months of sessions and exercises I was finished with voice therapy, I cried a few tears both of sadness and joy. I promised to keep in touch and all I can say is thank Sue, an angel from heaven.

Follow up check up

I went to the Hospital to have my 4 week post op check up with my surgeon. She was pleased with my scar's recovery rate and my voice consistancy, and as a result said she no longer needed to see me, but if I did for any reason, just to contact her. I presenterd her with a box of chocolates and another for the nursing staff, as a thank you for what had been done for me. She was surprised at the gift and I said it was deserved because she was a star. All the time I was out today I got no abuse, that for me is a big positive.

7 weeks Post Op

My scar is now starting to fade and dissapear into the fold of the skin, and I am very happy with the results. My voice has never been questioned over the phone since, people now ask me if I am miss or mrs, its just marvelous.

xxxxx Stephanie