• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What form of T to take?

Guest Makki12

Guest Makki12

Hey everyone!

I went to see my doctor today and he gave me a prescription for T! I was really surprised actually but extremely exited. He said he could give it to me in the form of a patch that i wear or the injectable kind. He said that if I choose to go with the injections that they will be once a month and they hold the T and I come in and get the shot. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what form to use?

Thanks

Kai

• Forum Moderator

Kai,

There is quite a bit out there about the different forms of T and how they work. Hudsons in particular has been useful for me.http://www.ftmguide.org/

Personally I worried with the patch because there are female members of my family who could inadvertently be exposed through my skin or through my clothing rubbing where a patch used to be. I also found that they were not waterproof as described and not as personally effective for me. I take injections and have learned to inject myself. Which hasn't bothered me. On the down side of injections there is some soreness at the injection site for a couple of days-not that bad for me but it is there. Also I am not aware of a T with a monthly release so you can have some mood fluctuation. I know that what I take has a 10 day release and I can feel when it has run out. Again not as bad as PMS but there. In spite of that I much prefer the injections.

But that is my personal preference and what fits my lifestyle. I'd suggest reading all you can and then having an informed discussion with your Dr.

Another consideration is cost. If you are paying out of pocket the patches tend to be several times more expensive than the injection but if you are charged an office visit each month that will be offset some.

Johnny

Guest Leah1026

Once a month? Most people inject twice a month. Hopefully that's just to get you started.

Next, how much extra are they going to charge you for denying you the right to inject yourself? 25$ per shot? $50? These costs can add up. Contrast that with my yearly costs of $125 for my injectables and supplies. This is one thing I HATE about some doctors. What they're really saying is: We don't trust you. Anyone can learn to do their own injections.

The problems with patches are:

1. They tend to be expensive, at least compared to injectables.

2. Many people experience adhesion problems. If you sweat or shower they may start coming off.

3. Some people are actually allergic to the adhesive used.