• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Revealing my dysphoria to immediate family.

Guest apostate79

Guest apostate79

The first person I sort of came out to has been my older brother. Earlier this summer I invited him over to my apartment to hang out over a few drinks, and I had to have a few beers in me in order to work up the courage. I basically explained to him the reasons I was currently seeing a therapist, and how I have been questioning my own gender identity for some time. He actually expressed some relief, and told me that everything kind of make sense for him now, especially in terms of my behaviour in the past. I used to be a very angry young man, and I constantly felt this restlessness inside me, like a nagging discontentment with myself and my life. I had a reputation even among my friends for having a bitter, jaded personality, yet I could never pinpoint why.

The second person I have told so far has been my mother, I explained to her my situation, that the main reason I have been seeing a therapist is because of these feelings and longings that I have been dealing with most of my life and that I am starting to believe I may be transgender. She was a little bit confused at first, on how I could have these desires to female, yet I am still attracted to women, but she also works as a nurse and is well educated, and is coming around to a better understanding of the issue.

Both people have been very supportive and have told me that they will continue to love and accept me whatever path I choose, and have also promised to keep this information confidential until I figure out a right time to go public (if ever). I haven't told my dad yet, and I think I'll wait until I've made the final decision to transition before telling him. That way, if I decide transition isn't for me and I am happy living as a man, he might not ever have to know anything.

Guest John Chiv

Glad your older brother and mother are supportive. Figuring things out with a gender therapist is the best and safest way and you sound very sensible. Good luck wherever your path leads you.

John

Guest Sarahwr

Hi.

You have been very sensible in telling someone you can trust.

I think it is important that you should be able to confide in your brother and that he is being supportive.

The feelings you describe are just like my own though it is only relatively recently I managed to put them into some sort of context and realise when I am my female self just how different a person I am.

Having counselling will help you discover who you are which is so important to getting on with your life and enjoying it.

Don't for heavens sake do what so many men do. I was an angry young man and I hope now I don't grow up to be an angry old man.

Good luck with finding out about your self.

Best wishes,

Sarah

Apostate,

That is very good news!

Support is essential, as is the good sense to know who you can trust with such intimate information...

I wish you well on your journey!

Love, Svenna