• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finasteride and self gratification?

Guest Kavex

So I've been taking Finasteride for about 3 months now and I've noticed my sex drive and basically gone away to nothing. I've tried to self gratification a few times and the feeling of pleasure is not what it used to be and I noticed when I ejaculate nothing really comes out. The no sex drive doesn't really bother me so much and would think it's normal for Finasteride. Would this fall under erectile dysfunction? Is it something you think I should be concerned about?

Guest Donna Jean

This is from Wikipedia.......

Side effects of finasteride include impotence (1.1% to 18.5%), abnormal ejaculation (7.2%), decreased ejaculatory volume (0.9% to 2.8%), abnormal sexual function (2.5%), gynecomastia (2.2%), erectile dysfunction (1.3%), ejaculation disorder (1.2%) and testicular pain. According to the product package insert, resolution occurred in men who discontinued therapy with finasteride due to these side effects and in most men who continued therapy. In December 2010, Merck added depression as a side effect of finasteride.[6]

You might want to talk to your doctor about this....ok?

Dee Jay

well from the word itself... anti androgens are for decreasing your T in your body... T is something to do with your manhood and sexual drive for that thing down there... so If you would decrease the T, those two will also be affected ;)

Guest Michaele

My Dr. said that's pretty much what's supposed to happen. I was given "home work", masterbate once a week. Well the unit does not want to stay in form for the homework, when it does it takes to long to complete, I find no pleasure in it anymore, and not much comes of it. He said normal, since the hormones shrink the prostate to nothing therefore no prostatic fluid, and they also shrink the rest of the equipment. All in all that's good news for this girl!

Big Hugs

Shelley

thats right... tell your doctor you wanna know about effects of anti androgen... But Im sure spiro wont stop the feeling you are experiencing on finasteride since spiro is also an anti androgen just like finasteride

Are you taking both finasteride and spironolactone? Are you taking estradiol?

Call your doctor, and discuss how you might adjust your dose if you are not happy with your outcome. They might do this over the phone.

Also ask to get your testosterone levels checked. Remember: natal women have a certain amount of testosterone in their systems.

I'm taking both spiro and finasteride, with estradiol and am happy with the results. The unwanted growth is in remission and the new and wanted growth on the chest is doing just fine. :)

Jenny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Orva26
He said normal, since the hormones shrink the prostate to nothing

!!!!

Um.... I suppose there is no way to sugar coat this but does the decreased size of the prostate make gratification by stimulating that gland directly less pleasurable?

Guest Michaele
He said normal, since the hormones shrink the prostate to nothing

!!!!

Um.... I suppose there is no way to sugar coat this but does the decreased size of the prostate make gratification by stimulating that gland directly less pleasurable?

That was my understanding of how it works.

Guest Orva26

Darn :(

then what actually becomes effective methods of self gratification? Because it seems even ones that are not sterotypically male won't work anymore.

Guest Michaele

Darn :(

then what actually becomes effective methods of self gratification? Because it seems even ones that are not sterotypically male won't work anymore.

Sweetie, you're going to have to ask a post op.

Big Hugs

Shelley

Guest Orva26

Sweetie, you're going to have to ask a post op.

Hmmm....? I highly doubt that people remain self celebrate up to surgery. Self gratification is a natural healthy thing that adult humans should engage in. I find it very had to believe that while on a medical regime that takes years someone would not engage in it at all. I guess I'll have to figure it out as I go along.

Guest likebeingfemminine

So I've been taking Finasteride for about 3 months now and I've noticed my sex drive and basically gone away to nothing. I've tried to self gratification a few times and the feeling of pleasure is not what it used to be and I noticed when I ejaculate nothing really comes out. The no sex drive doesn't really bother me so much and would think it's normal for Finasteride. Would this fall under erectile dysfunction? Is it something you think I should be concerned about?

I never used Finasteride.However,in my opinion,all HRT will decrease ejaculate and sex drive.I don't miss it either.Although,I do at times orgasm more 'profoundly'than even before HRT.Yes,the desire to self-gratification has decreased;however,I had one orgasm with HRT where I literally 'pee-ed' all over the place.

I would do anything to express my true self even if it means sacrificing my sex drive. Having to watch your body finally turn into what is the image that should had been long ago must be a wonderful experiance. I mean who would care if they would have to be celabate for a while. At least its not permanent. However even if it was permanent i would not care because being myself is the first priority.

Guest Orva26

See I don't really think self celebratory would have to happen. Nipples become erogenous zones, skin becomes more sensitive, arousal patterns are shifted i.e. the way your body becomes aroused changes. I'm actually thinking there could be immense potential for self exploration if one divorces themselves from the idea that self gratification strictly must involve gentiles.

At least this is what I have gotten speaking to people on hrt.

Guest Ann Onymous

I guess I must be too old-school for I fail to see WHY a transsexual would have ANY desire to derive pleasure from the very organ that forms the basis FOR the diagnosis of transsexuality...the lack of response should seem to be something that would be the desired result and at least help to mitigate the dysphoric condition until surgery could take place.

I never wanted ANYTHING to do with that useless piece of flesh. Thankfully that birth defect was addressed before some on this board were even born...

Guest Orva26

Lol, I didn't even notice that error I was pretty burnt out yesterday. >_>

I guess I must be too old-school for I fail to see WHY a transsexual would have ANY desire to derive pleasure from the very organ that forms the basis FOR the diagnosis of transsexuality

Yup, this is the old school thought.

Now a days detesting your physicality isn't always a diagnostic criteria. There are of course individuals who hate what is down there, but there are also those who are kinda indifferent, there is also a growing party of people who elect not to get SRS because they don't need it or see a problem with being a 'woman with a penis' or the other way around. Plus HrT is not really as restricted as it used to be. There are transsexual individuals on it, but also some who self identify as transgendered, androgynous, or bi-gendered (which is a quite interesting group that I don't really know much about). People in these groups might have different gender feelings than a typical transsexual.

Also I'd imagine for some there is an aspect of "the evil that they know" as in they may not be particularly pleased with what they have down there but they know how it works and HrT will change that.

There is actually a very tiny movement of people who believe that a transperson's hatred of their body/parts of it is not caused by a GID condition, rather it is a co-morbidity or transgenderism and body dysmorphic disorder (BDD). BDD is a disorder where the part of an individuals brain that regulates self perception sees something different that the current reality, it can drive things like eating disorders or extreme body modification (artistic wise). It makes particular sense for it to be co-morbid with transpeople in light of recent research which shows that the brains of transpeople pre-transition are more similar to the gender they identify with compared to their assigned one. Meaning if the part of your brain that regulates self image is female/feminized then of course you're going to hate seeing a male body and the other way around. But the extent of feminization of the brain is variable so not everyone would end up with a hatred.

Note the last paragraph is not a claim, I'm not an M.D. or a Dr of anything but it is stuff that I have heard and have talked to professionals about. Its actual validity is up in the air, though it seems sensible to me.

All that being said this topic kinda got side tracked. <_<

All I was trying to get at is sure male functionality is lost but its not like HrT doesn't provide anything to replace it. I'm curious to hear how self gratification practices change as HrT progresses and the bodies arousal patterns shift toward the feminine ones as different areas/tissues than before become sensitive. Basically when male functionality is lost, where do pleasure centers reside?