• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What would progestogen do to me ?

Alex59

Okay im in no mood for sarcasm Im getting them free for anyone whos wondering, pleaze a detailed answer would be greatkly apreshiated xx

Guest Donna Jean

Progesterone is worthless by itself.

What it does is make Estrogen work better (at least that's what it's supposed to do).

I take it with my estrogen 10 days out of the months....

But, alone?

Well, it's like starting a fire with wood, gasoline and paper...but, without the spark, nothing happens.....

Don't take it....k?

Dee Jay

• Forum Moderator

Never a good idea. Let me tell you my experience with it.

I was self medicating back around 2001. One evening while in a large bookstore, my eyesight mostly vanished. I saw one large black dot in the middle of my field of view. Being uncomfortable with that I tried to make my way out of there on just my peripheral vision. Didn't make it.

The next thing I remember is being in the back of an ambulance. The attendants asked me if I knew why I was there. I had no idea and told them that. They informed me that I'd had a fairly large seizure. I didn't remember anything past trying to leave the store.

I was taken to an emergency room and given a whole lot of tests. These tests continued for a few months. I had head xrays, cat scans, mri's, eeg's and a bunch of other stuff. I lost my driver's license for about 6 months (state law).

Ever since then just getting on hrt is a hassle. Because now my liver function tests are higher than normal. I had to have a biopsy just a couple of weeks ago in order for the Doc to see the actual condition of my liver. It's got a little damage. But luckily I can stay on HRT this time as the results are an improvement from in the past. I've been kicked off of hrt before and once I was flat out denied.

Don't do that to yourself. If you want hrt, get a Doc. Get monitored!

Okay im in no mood for sarcasm Im getting them free for anyone whos wondering, pleaze a detailed answer would be greatkly apreshiated xx

I would recommend asking a doctor. The beliefs that people here may speak aren't hard medical information. At best it is likely to be medical information researched by people without the critical medical knowledge to judge good info verses bad info.

As for my armchair medical knowledge, worth as much as you paid for it, Progesterone sometimes gets lumped in with Androgens due to similar effects even though it isn't technically one. Testosterone is an Androgen if you didn't know what an Androgen is.. Progesterone may be one of the causes behind women seeing facial hair get worse post menopause when extrogen levels plummet.

So taking progesterone by itself, my guess is it will tend not to do much unless you have ovaries and if anything may add to any testosterone.

Guest JustShelly

probably drain your wallet/ purse while insuring you get blood clots.

Use sparingly with E and T-blockers.

Could you site your reference for this??

I don't hink its nice to scare someone with out clinical proof!

Thank you all greatly aprestiated xx and thank you shelly that was actually leaving me shivering, not something a 14 would need to hear x

Alex,

Guest Amethyst_Redemption

Progesterone = http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000261/

Cost = typically $100 us per month.

I wasn't being sarcastic. P on its own is dangerous and worthless. This is why it is usually given for 10 out of 30 days after a year or so on HRT. Some doctors don't even feel safe prescribing P for more than a year or two, if at all. P in doses found in IUDs is enough to cause concerns about increased cancer and blood clots. What someone on HRT would be taking is much more.

April

Guest Donna Jean

One site is Drugs.com and several others that I found with a quick Google search....

Using progesterone can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke, heart attack, or breast cancer.

Do not use this medication if you have any of the following conditions: a history of breast cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, liver disease, if you are pregnant, or if you have had a stroke, heart attack, or blood clot within the past year.

From Medliner.com....

Medications like progesterone may cause abnormal blood clotting. This may cut off the blood supply to the brain, heart, lungs, or eyes and cause serious problems. Call your doctor if you experience any of the symptoms listed above as serious side effects. Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking this medication.

...and from E-zine-Woman's Health......

Because Progesterone causes increased blood clotting, it can contribute to a heart attack, blood clots in the lungs and legs, or even stroke. Some signs of such serious Side Effects are chest pain, blurred vision or loss of vision, numbness or tingling in the arms or legs, and sudden shortness of breath.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/170338

That is just a few......

Donna Jean

Guest Vixen Amber

Yeah those sites also are meant for bio women. As much as the ones taking these meds wish we were, not sure how much those apply to a TS, let alone being born male you could have a wider range of effects. Yes they prescribe it with other meds during certain times and alone it will probably cause alot of damage. That is why we go to doctors, so they can make the call. As opposed to a armchair gynecologist wielding fear and lack of knowledge.

Guest JustShelly

One site is Drugs.com and several others that I found with a quick Google search....

Using progesterone can increase your risk of blood clots, stroke, heart attack, or breast cancer.

Do not use this medication if you have any of the following conditions: a history of breast cancer, abnormal vaginal bleeding, liver disease, if you are pregnant, or if you have had a stroke, heart attack, or blood clot within the past year.

From Medliner.com....

Medications like progesterone may cause abnormal blood clotting. This may cut off the blood supply to the brain, heart, lungs, or eyes and cause serious problems. Call your doctor if you experience any of the symptoms listed above as serious side effects. Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking this medication.

...and from E-zine-Woman's Health......

Because Progesterone causes increased blood clotting, it can contribute to a heart attack, blood clots in the lungs and legs, or even stroke. Some signs of such serious Side Effects are chest pain, blurred vision or loss of vision, numbness or tingling in the arms or legs, and sudden shortness of breath.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/170338

That is just a few......

Donna Jean

Yes and you will get much of the same for ALL forms of estrogen therapy. Another thing to consider is these precautions are meant for genetic woman. The possible complications could be worse or may be less for a trans.

Shelly

Guest Leah1026

Progesterone = http://www.ncbi.nlm....lth/PMH0000261/

Cost = typically $100 us per month.

I wasn't being sarcastic. P on its own is dangerous and worthless. This is why it is usually given for 10 out of 30 days after a year or so on HRT. Some doctors don't even feel safe prescribing P for more than a year or two, if at all. P in doses found in IUDs is enough to cause concerns about increased cancer and blood clots. What someone on HRT would be taking is much more.

IMO you're greatly exaggerating the risks.

Always go with a micronized progesterone such as Prometrium, it has a much lower risk of side effects than other types of progesterone (ie Provera).

It is best to ask your doctor these questions as we are not medical professionals and any advise would be what we have heard from others or gleaned off the internet, several years ago i had been on spiro and estradiol for over a year when i had the progesterone talk with my endo, in his over 20 years of treating trans patients he saw no difference in breast growth between those that took Progesterone and those that did not and recommended i not take it, though i know people that swear by it, he would have prescribed it for me if i insisted but i felt the evidence was not compelling enough for me to spend the extra cash.

Paula

I don't know why this topic gets any serious answer other than ask your doctor and don't self medication. Enough said.

This isn't a topic about the relative merits of progesterone as part of hormone thereapy.

From what I can tell it is about a 14 year old who has gotten their hands on some progesterone pills, someone not on any other HRT, who wants to self medicate with these pills. Something I would think is a pretty stupid idea regardless of age.

I expect fully that no matter what risks are stated it won't make a difference because the counter argument will be that everyone knows any medication has risks but those are rare so anything quoted won't dissuade.

Nor will it matter that nobody takes progesterone alone for HRT. No, that isn't relevent.

Nor will the fact that a bottle or three of pills likely won't have any lasting positive effects because it takes to long for those, yet a bad reaction can very easily have permanent negative consequence.

Nor will the fact one of the riskiest times taking a medication is when just starting will dissuade.

No, none of that. This is a teen wanting to get in on the excitement. It really doesn't matter what the realities are. It is a female hormone,t hat is all that matters. That and getting the bragging rights to have claimed to start HRT.

Personally, I am terribly underimpressed. All it would indicate to me is a serious lack of judgement.

Guest Donna Jean

This isn't a topic about the relative merits of progesterone as part of hormone thereapy.

From what I can tell it is about a 14 year old who has gotten their hands on some progesterone pills, someone not on any other HRT, who wants to self medicate with these pills. Something I would think is a pretty stupid idea regardless of age.

You nailed it, Drea!

Dee Jay

Guest Amethyst_Redemption

You nailed it, Drea!

Dee Jay

Basically why I didn't put much empathy in my responses.

Guest Vixen Amber

Drea it gets serious answers because of the age and situation. We cannot stop her from trying but we can do what we can to help educate. Just dismissing it as childish as is stupid as what you claim the topic to be. This is a forum to help people not just dismiss them. If someone is going to self medicate I think it should be prudent to want to tell them why they shouldn't and reasons as opposed to just telling them they shouldn't and swatting them on the nose with a newspaper full of rules and reg. Just telling them no it's bad isn't good enough. Progesterone doesn't work by itself. It just doesn't. There is also a reason they typically prescribe it during a time similar to that time of month for ciswomen.

Guest Vixen Amber

It is also funny that a lack of sympathy is offered here as opposed to the many suicide threads. Shouldn't this also be under that same umbrella because of the desperation and damage it can do as claimed here? Why the doublestandard regarding empathy? Makes no sense to me.

• Admin

It is also funny that a lack of sympathy is offered here as opposed to the many suicide threads. Shouldn't this also be under that same umbrella

Amber, it is completely different, and the subject calls for a completely different approach.

Strong opinions are expected, but personal attacks will not be allowed. Please restrain yourselves (everyone) or your posts will not be approved.

Carolyn Marie

• Root Admin

Laura's Playground does not endorse self medicating in any way, shape or form. Any future topics about self medicating other than to express the dangers of doing so will not be permitted.

MaryEllen