• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

finasteride vs spironolactone

Guest chinee

Guest chinee

Hi girls,

I am currently on finasteride now as my anti androgen. Before I was on spiro but my doctor switch me to finasteride due to i pee more often when I started using spiro. Just want to ask you girls what do you think is the better anti androgen to use with? I have seen articles over the net that finasteride is better and I have seen articles too that spiro is the one used for long time as anti androgen for MTF HRT and I also have seen articles that combining it would be also good. Just want to hear your comments about this and want to hear which of these two your doctor prescribed you to use?

Finasteride can regrow hair. Spiro can help with high blood pressure.

I don't know which is better because I take both of them.

Jenny

You pee more with spiro because it is a diuretic and is often used as a blood pressure medication. The main danger with spiro is that it causes your body to retain potassium while other salts are filtered out through the diuretic effects. This can lead to potential dangerous levels of potassium which can cause cardiac issues. I can't use spiro because I am already on another blood pressure med. So for me Finaseride would be better.

No matter what we may say here this is something you should talk over with your doctor.

Mia

I really haven't done my homework either way, but the real person to discuss this with is your doc. S/he knows knows you and what is best for you.

Autumn

• Admin

The advice above, especially about discussing with your doctor, is excellent. But, just for reference, I started with finesteride but got poor results with T-levels. They remained high. After 12 months and 3 blood tests, my doctor decided to risk the Spironolactone, which was very effective in lowering my T, and my potassium levels remain normal.

The combination of Spiro and E, though, has resulted in less control over my sugar levels. They have declined, which is a great thing, but makes it more difficult to avoid hypoglycemia. I now take considerably less insulin. It's all a matter of careful control and monitoring. See your doctor, please.

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

Another voice added to the ask your doctor chorus. I was given the Spiro for my blood pressure because another diuretic was dragging my potassium too low, not for anti androgen properties. The endocrinologist upped it a bit for the AA properties and I am a happy girl with the results so far.

Guest Leah1026

Hi girls,

I am currently on finasteride now as my anti androgen. Before I was on spiro but my doctor switch me to finasteride due to i pee more often when I started using spiro. Just want to ask you girls what do you think is the better anti androgen to use with? I have seen articles over the net that finasteride is better and I have seen articles too that spiro is the one used for long time as anti androgen for MTF HRT and I also have seen articles that combining it would be also good. Just want to hear your comments about this and want to hear which of these two your doctor prescribed you to use?

Peeing more is an expected side effect of Spiro! If the doctor didn't tell you that he's an idiot.

Finasteride is a relatively weak when used as an anti-androgen. That's because it's designed to block DHT, not testosterone.

Unless you're allergic to Spiro (very rare) it is a much better choice than Finasteride for blocking T.

yeah my doctor told everything about spiro and finasteride. She just switched me to finasteride due to I feel like I pee more often. She said finasteride wouldnt make me that if thats what I want. But after a month of using it I noticed that it seem not to work as like when Im in spiro. So dont worry girls I always make sure to consult my doctor before making any move. I just wanna hear your feedbacks and your doc's feedbacks about this so that I could also discuss this with my doctor and see whats gonna be her insight about it.

finas/dutas (teride) increases T, because it blocks DHT. Less DHT = More free T. And all that free T has to go somewhere...

I think Finasteride could best be used in combination with Spiro, I don't think you can replace it wholesomely with Finasteride alone, if that was the case then bald men ho use Finasteride would all look like pretty girls! ^_^ besides, I still think that all anti-androgens are overrated. When I was on E alone my T was lower then on both E and an anti-androgen. When I took dutasteride my T increased with 30-40% The body works in mysterious ways sometimes...