• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gov. Brown signs 2 important transgender rights bills

Guest Guest 1

Guest John Chiv

Governor Brown just signed two important transgender rights bills into law. The first, the Gender Nondiscrimination Act, brings transgender rights out of the closet in California - making "gender identity and expression" its own protected category at work, at school, in housing, at public accommodations and in other settings. The second, the Vital Statistics Modernization Act, makes it easier for transgender people to get a court-ordered gender change and updated birth certificate

The above is from the transgender law center website. If you are in San Francisco or nearby, there are holding a briefing today at 6PM with more details. If I can get more information, I will post more details. Their website is www.transgenderlawcenter.org

http://www.sfbaytimes.com/?sec=article&article_id=14853 This is a good article on the birth certificate.

John

• Admin

Very good to see and hear about, I may get to take advantage of the driver's license thing here is a few weeks, but unless these are urgency measures it will be the New Year before they take effect. (Its usually 90 days after signing a bill before it is effective here in CA.)

• Forum Moderator

Governor Brown just signed two important transgender rights bills into law. The first, the Gender Nondiscrimination Act, brings transgender rights out of the closet in California - making "gender identity and expression" its own protected category at work, at school, in housing, at public accommodations and in other settings. The second, the Vital Statistics Modernization Act, makes it easier for transgender people to get a court-ordered gender change and updated birth certificate...

John

Good. Perhaps some of those bass ackward States will take note of this and join the current century in regards to documentation changes.

• Admin

Very good news, John. Thanks for posting about it.

If I wanted to change my birth certificate, I would have to contact authorities in New York, which would be cumbersome, time consuming and likely costly. It isn't worth it for me, but if I was born in California, I would take advantage of this new process.

Carolyn Marie

Guest John Chiv

Carolyn,

I am hoping that state employees will be educated so that people don't have to go through any more frustration then they need to; am emailing TLC and trying to reach my contacts but I think they are a tad busy today LOL

John

• Forum Moderator

Nice John, good to read this, as a native of CA. Moonbeam does have a clue.

Hugs

Cindy -

So can someone please clarify what exactly this all could mean for the state of California? Does this mean SRS will not be a requirement? Is it currently not a requirement in the state? I know for Passports you can get those changed without SRS after a doctor has signed the proper papers stating you've had the necessary medical treatment, which does not have to include SRS, so is this what we're looking at here?

So can someone please clarify what exactly this all could mean for the state of California? Does this mean SRS will not be a requirement? Is it currently not a requirement in the state? I know for Passports you can get those changed without SRS after a doctor has signed the proper papers stating you've had the necessary medical treatment, which does not have to include SRS, so is this what we're looking at here?

I second that question.

Seeing as how I am in a unique situation where the country of my birth doesn't require surgery for the birth cert change I am still a bit in the dark as what documents SRS IS necessary for.

Risu and Jaded,

The best people to ask would probably be TLC as to when this will be implemented and what this means.

John

I fairly certain you don't mean The Learning Channel.

Who/What is TLC?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 115 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Yellowhammer
    Newest Member
    Yellowhammer

1. Billie75B
      Billie75B
      (67 years old)
    2. Chloe Cloud
      Chloe Cloud
      (32 years old)
    3. Hannah Emma
      Hannah Emma
      (41 years old)
    4. Joan Arbour
      Joan Arbour
      (77 years old)
    5. Liz B
      Liz B
      (49 years old)
    • Kait
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Same here.  My mind is a jumbled mess.  I'm no great philosopher, nor particularly educated.  Don't open my brain's closet, as all the junk might come tumbling out.
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Its been a long day.  I had a good trip with my husband, kind of sorry I had to come home.  I mean, I love my partners, but I feel overwhelmed by the chaos at times.  It was nice being able to just drive and talk for two days, and not feel rushed at meals.  Stopped at a buffet off I-40 in Oklahoma, and I was able to nibble comfortably for two hours!  And taking a shower in a place where I don't have to bother hanging up the towels for later   Its all about the little things....
    • KayC
      Hi @AmandaJoy Welcome, and nice to meet you! Congratulations on your Self-Affirmation!  As you've already discovered you're in great company here on this Forum.  It took me 60+ years also.   I understand your thrill and desire to proceed full-steam-ahead but that you've already realized to meter your Journey.  So, I will just end with what I tell most new Members when they arrive ... Deep breaths ... One step at a time
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Did go in my shop and fix my truck,new front brakes.I got that done before it got worse.Luckily I did not drive it when it first started.Drove my car to work instead
    • Michelle_S
      Hey @KayC I need another tutorial session on this place with you.  Maybe we can talk on Discord or the phone and I can share my screen and do a few messages while Asking you some questions about how this place is organized. How are you doing in the real world?? ... "real world" ???  What is this "real world" of which you speak?
    • Michelle_S
      @VickySGV Ha!  Finally figured THAT out!  Though I hate to confess just how long it took me to figure out WHERE to begin typing that "@" sign.  (So I just won't confess it!  ... giggles) I am not sure how private this message to you is ... for example I was going to make a guess about your location (you say near a major earthquake fault) and while there are many places in CA which fit that description, I live near one as well. But I am not sure if being asked that in a public forum is something you want, and I don't know if I am talking publicly or privately right now.  (So, obviously, till I learn what is what, I treat EVERYTHING as public). I think Kay might have already told me about the "@" sign but I forgot ... Guess I have blonde roots ... (I'm actually a Brunette ... Grey but the box keeps me a brunette ... still the number of mistakes I make and how slow I am with learning things constantly reminds me that I must be blonde on the inside!!  ... giggles)  
    • Willow
      @KymmieL do they have you on anti depressants?  Are they certain they are the right ones for you?  Has a psychiatrist been involved?  My physician first put me on an anti depressant and when things got worse for me he added one that was the initial cause of my cancer.  My therapist recommended I had a different need changed things. My psychiatrist agreed with the particular underlying condition and the choice of medications.   everyone is different but if one medication isn’t working there are many different types and different underlying conditions that require different treatments.  No meds mentioned because what didn’t work and what did all depends on your case, not mine.   Willow
    • Cynthia Slowan
      To me loving myself means having the courage to live the way I want and to be me.     I hardly ever really like how I look but I feel good knowing I am trying to be the best version of myself that I can be. It is definitely a struggle sometimes though.  💗Cynthia 
    • Cynthia Slowan
      When I am sitting out on my patio in a nice pretty dress, full makeup, with a glass of wine watching a storm roll in!       💗 Cynthia 
    • Cynthia Slowan
      I had a five hour road trip today.  I’m trying to grow my hair out so I just pushed it back with a pink hair band, lipstick and gloss, no makeup.    White spaghetti strap top, short black skirt, white sandals with pink toenails!  A couple of rings and bracelets, necklace and hoop earrings.   I felt like a hot mess but it’s my favorite way to travel!  
    • KymmieL
      Glad you had a good day, @Willow Mine on the other hand sucked. I have been screwing up again, I even got written up. I may have to educate them on major depression and disability. not that it will work.    OH, well. May be another job I lost because of me. Yes, my depression is about down at the magma level   Kym
    • Lydia_R
      This bag is really working out for me.  I had worn out the back on my yin-yang bag so I picked this one up.  It wasn't long before I cut off the flap on it and braided a hemp strap for it.  The zipper is the best feature.  I can spin the bag around and I'm not afraid of losing anything.  I've taught myself to keep all the essential things in it and nothing more.  Here is what made the cut:   Notepad Sharpie Ballpoint Pen Teaspoon Glasses Phone (most of the time) Wired Headphones and/or Bluetooth Carmex and/or Lipstick Flash Drive Current Braiding Project Wallet Hair Clip   And on my keys I have my one inch Swiss Army Knife with scissors and a bottle opener that I like using with mason jar lids.   I don't miss pockets at all now.  The bag is fun and practical.  I can set it on the ground to get everything off my body.  If I need something, I'm looking for a fairly large object.  I always have something to work on with the braiding project.
    • Ivy
      Just keep up with your blood work
    • Abigail Genevieve
      You can ask a moderator to make the change for you.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.