• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Orchiectomy Question

Guest Angelgrlsue

Guest Angelgrlsue

Hi

I have been seriously thinking about having an Orchiectomy done before SRS. Do not know when I will ever afford SRS so an Orchiectomy is an option for me. My question is, do I need to see a doctor that spealizes in working with transgender women and SRS experience? The SRS doctor I eventually will go with quoted me about $23,500.00 for SRS and $2800.00 for an Orchiectomy. If I go with my healthcare plan and see a urologist within the group my insurance may cover the cost, will have to check for sure though. The SRS doctor I will go with does not accept my insurance. Have to pay out of pocket. Just wanted to know if anyone who has had an Orchiectomy went with a doctor that has experience with the transgender or not. I know there are certain procedures that need to be done for an Orchiectomy to be done so that SRS can be achieved later on.

Susan

Susan,

I had my Orchiectomy just 2 months ago. My urologist did the operation, but he required letter from the psychologist before he would proceed.

In plain english the Medicos in Australia are just as scared of being sued as they are in the USA

Anyway I received the approval from the psychologist and my Orchictectomy was done on 26th Aug. 2011 and these days I am a very Happy Girl.

I have no I idea as to the cost, as I have private health cover and all the costs were covered, also as I am 72, I do not intend to go a head with SRS as I

think that all the pain and mucking a is not worth it.

, I just live as a woman :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Huggs Patricia

Guest Robin Winter

I would do a little research before coming to a decision. I recall seeing or hearing somewhere that an orchi done for someone who is planning to have SRS in the future was done a little differently. The incisions are made in a different spot so that the scar tissue will not interfere later on. I can't remember where I saw or heard that though, so like I said, best to do a bit of research and weigh your pros and cons.

Guest Angelgrlsue

Hi Shilo

Yes that is why I may go with the surgeon that I have picked to do my SRS. He does do Orchiectomy's in a way that saves eneough tissue to build the vagina for SRS. Not sure if just a urologist would know the correct procedure. I have written to the doctor I picked concerning this issue and am waiting for a reply back.

Susan

Susan,

It really depends on the urologist that does the Orchiectomy, I asked my surgeon to remove the scrotum at the same time and his response was that

he would leave it, and at a later dated if I really wanted it removed, he would do so. He said, his reason being should I decide to have SRS later that

there would be a reasonable amount of tissue still available.

At the hospital where my operation took place, they were aware of what is required for the full SRS requirements

If your surgeon is forward thinking your Orthiectomy should be OK, but I would certainly ask him about it, just to make sure

Huggs Patricia

Guest jamo-chelsea

Susan,

It really depends on the urologist that does the Orchiectomy, I asked my surgeon to remove the scrotum at the same time and his response was that

he would leave it, and at a later dated if I really wanted it removed, he would do so. He said, his reason being should I decide to have SRS later that

there would be a reasonable amount of tissue still available.

At the hospital where my operation took place, they were aware of what is required for the full SRS requirements

If your surgeon is forward thinking your Orthiectomy should be OK, but I would certainly ask him about it, just to make sure

Huggs Patricia

Just out of curiosity, which hospital did you go to? Wondering about where they actually go it over here :P

Thankies :)

The town is Mornington, and there 2 Hospitals both private 1. Beleura Private Hospital and The Bays Hospital .

It is the Surgeon doing the operation who usually the one desides as which hospital you will be in (I think)

Huggs Patricia

Guest Pamela5

Once you are sure you are truly transgendered; in my case after much therapy, I had an orci with Dr. Bowers (she will do my SRS next year). I could not be more pleased. Tucking is very easy and the poison T is out of my body. I am much happier and relaxed with only estrogen in my body. I feel much more feminine. Legally things have changed and Dr. Bowers letter stating I have had " irreversible genital surgery" has allowed me to get the gender marker changed on my DL, passport, and now I am listed as a female with Social Security. For me all positive with no "boys".

Pam

• 2 months later...
Guest Pamela5

Dr. Bowers removed my boys about a year before SRS. It was a wonderful step as I got all my documents changed and I became very relaxed. It will not affect your SRS and will rid your body of the awful T.

PAm

Guest angelina1813

I had my orchi done 11 years ago when i was 27. Best decision I ever did in my life. It changed me and I felt even more fem if that even matters.

Now I'll be getting my SRS in April and am so excited.

If you're wondering about functionality, it works!!! lol love love