• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

May Have To Go Back On Spiro

Guest Angelgrlsue

Guest Angelgrlsue

Within the last several months of being off Spironolactone I have noticed my testosterone increase dramatically. The only other anti-androgen I am taking is Finasteride which I am finding out only blocks DHT and not Testosterone. I am taking the estradiol patches now because my doctor believes it is safer for me to take at my age. The reason I had to go off the Spiro in the first place was because it lowered my blood pressure too low, was cold all the time. My only other option is an Orchiectomy which I am really considering if I can get a doctor with my health group to do it under my insurance, unable to afford it otherwise. If I do go with the Spiro will a low dose do any good with blocking the T?

Susan

I hated Spiro. My problem was high blood pressure and it interfered with the BP meds I was on and caused my potassium levels to soar. I am not sure what a low dosage would do that is something to talk to your doctor about. I take it that your doctor has checked your hormone levels and your T is high?

I am working to have an Orchiectomy because it will get me off of anti-androgens and I will be able to reduce the E.

Mia

Guest Robin Winter

Lower your potassium intake and drink a lot of water to deal with the low blood pressure. It would also be helpful to eat more frequent, smaller meals. Prepare your own meals as often as possible to avoid high concentrations of sugar, fat, and other chemicals common to processed, packaged food. A bit more salt in your diet may be helpful though(to raise blood pressure), but I would talk to your doctor about that one since I don't know your medical history.

Guest Leah1026
My only other option is an Orchiectomy which I am really considering if I can get a doctor with my health group to do it under my insurance, unable to afford it otherwise. If I do go with the Spiro will a low dose do any good with blocking the T?

It's not FDA approved, but Androcur is used around the globe as an anti-androgen of choice. I would ask you physician about that first. I wouldn't get surgery unless it's truly something you want.

Within the last several months of being off Spironolactone I have noticed my testosterone increase dramatically. The only other anti-androgen I am taking is Finasteride which I am finding out only blocks DHT and not Testosterone. I am taking the estradiol patches now because my doctor believes it is safer for me to take at my age. The reason I had to go off the Spiro in the first place was because it lowered my blood pressure too low, was cold all the time. My only other option is an Orchiectomy which I am really considering if I can get a doctor with my health group to do it under my insurance, unable to afford it otherwise. If I do go with the Spiro will a low dose do any good with blocking the T?

Susan

Orchiectomy is ideal. But for SRS some surgeons (Thailand for example) will not operate on a orchidectomized patient, and discourages an orchiectomy pre-srs. It is entirely possible that with orchiectomy blood pressure will fall dramatically, especially with added Estrogen -which is also responsible for low blood pressure- due to dilated blood vessels. I don't know your age, but usually when one is a bit older, one can suffice with less anti-androgen to bring T production to a halt then someone who is 20 or 30. Eventually, only E if taken long enough (note: dosage does not matter) will overpower T alone.

Guest Leah1026

^

androcur is way way expensive than spiro and finasteride. In my country, 1 tablet of androcur is equal to 3 tabs of spiro in terms of price >_<

I just checked a website (which I can't probably name here) and if you ordered 100 tablets the price was only $1.20/pill. $1.20/day doesn't sound "very expensive" expensive to me.

Guest Angelgrlsue

Thank you everyone for your reply and suggestions. Mia, no my doctor has not read my T levels yet, had the blood work done last week and I see him on Nov 14th. I can just tell by my body that my T levels have gone up, no more soft skin, pitted and rough face, increased body hair all over, I am 52 years old soon to be 53 Sascha, I did not know about Estrogen lowering blood pressure as well. Thought it was just the anti-androgens that did that job. The doctor has me on patches due to my age. I just really do not like this increased body hair and rough skin that I did not have when I was on Spiro.

Susan

• Admin

I was taking Spiro for blood pressure before it was made a part of my HRT by a small increase in dosage. My potassium was taking a total nosedive on another diuretic and still gets low on the spiro if I do not eat properly. I am getting a bit tired of bananas, but they seem to work.

Guest Angelgrlsue

Going on Spiro may not be such a good idea anymore for me. In the last couple of days I have been having dizzy spells and last night expecially my blood pressure went way down. Today when I went to take out the trash I nearly fell over from being dizzy. Been cold all morning. Blood pressure is low. This is just being on Estrogen. So.....an Orchi is my only chance of combatting the T in my system. True Estrogen is suppose to over power the T sometime but I have been on Estrogen for three years now and no real noticable effects going on. Will continue the Estrogen but I am going to really talk with my doctor about an Orchi now. I have no idea when I will ever have SRS or even if I ever will be able to afford it.

Hugs,

Susan

• Forum Moderator

Susan I am so sorry that you are having trouble with this. And hope you and your Dr find a good solution very soon.

Hugs

Johnny

Guest Angelgrlsue

Susan I am so sorry that you are having trouble with this. And hope you and your Dr find a good solution very soon.

Hugs

Johnny

Thank you Johnny. I hope I can get in to see him this coming week and not have to wait until the 14th to see him.

Hugs,

Susan

Guest Leah1026

I was taking Spiro for blood pressure before it was made a part of my HRT by a small increase in dosage. My potassium was taking a total nosedive on another diuretic and still gets low on the spiro if I do not eat properly. I am getting a bit tired of bananas, but they seem to work.

That's the opposite of what's supposed to happen. Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic. That means it makes your body keep potassium while dumping sodium (which is why you pee more on Spiro). As a result people on Spiro usually need less potassium and more sodium in their diets.

• Admin

That's the opposite of what's supposed to happen. Spiro is a potassium sparing diuretic. That means it makes your body keep potassium while dumping sodium (which is why you pee more on Spiro). As a result people on Spiro usually need less potassium and more sodium in their diets.

The doctor and I both agree that I am weird, but the potassium loss in my case is about a fifth of what it had been before I went on the Spiro, you are right that Spiro does generally spare the K (potassium) but my point is really that we are all different and need carfull monitoring and that even the most common results are within a range, and not a single specific measurement. (I have a chromasomal anomaly that affects another blood chemical and I cannot take regular vitamins or supplements for that reason. This figures into my weirdness.)

Yeah electrolytes can play a strange part, that's for sure. If Cypronacetaat (Andocur) didn't have the nasty side-effects like depression-induciveness and raising liver enzymes I would favour it above Spiro, since messing with electrolytes is risky business for the body. I guess any androgen inhibitor isn't without it's risks. I would favour an orchiectomy above chemical castration, problem is no doctor in my country is willing to perform it, out of "ethical reasons" (per usual).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Angelgrlsue

An update

I see the endocrinologist this coming Monday. Will discuss the Spiro question with him and definately am going to suggest an Orchiectomy with him. Will let you all know what he says when I get back home later that afternoon.

Susan