• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What exactly rates as 'too much information'?

Guest Exeter

I'm going to be having my first session with a gender therapist via Skype soon, and am wondering how to best handle myself. I'm already socially awkward and if you've ever read my posts, you'll probably know I tend to prattle on and on and never really reach my point. It scares me I might topic bounce for hours and never gain closure on anything.

My biggest issue right now, the only 'internal reason' (meaning not family related fears) for my doubts, is the confusing mess that once was a clear sexuality. I plan to talk this over with my therapist and hopefully she can help me discern it and decide how to deal with it, but my question is...

How much do I talk about? What do I say? Sexuality is an awkward, embarassing, and at times, down-right 'TMI' (and not always PG) subject (if you get what I mean... :o) So, what's appropriate? How would I go about discussing delicate matters like this?

For me, sexuality wouldn't simply be a statement like, 'I'm attracted to X gender.' It would have to go more in-depth, as I have layers and layers of contradictions right now that are driving me insane. I'm struggling with sorting envy from attraction when it comes to males (which, while I believe it can be simultaneous in some situations, it really would be best to divide it as much as possible) and when it comes to females, I'm questioning whether or not I may be attracted to them when I never was in the past.

I feel I'd have to be honest, but it's difficult to imagine talking over such things with a stranger. Especially, over Skype, rather than simply typing it out with my keyboard. (So I can hide behind my computer screen... :P) I'm just scared she might think, 'OMG... this person has issues... or I really didn't need to know that. TMI!'

Anyway, if you've got any advice, or had a similar issue, I'd appreciate if you could share it. :) Thanks.

Any good therapist will tell you if its TMI or not. I highly doubt you can say anything that will shock or embarrass them tho. Thy have all been there, done that.

My best advice is be yourself and be honest. You can't go wrong with those two things.

Best of luck

Autumn

• Admin

Exeter, you always have the option of letting the therapist guide the conversation, which is what most will do anyway. Let her ask the questions, and then answer them honestly and to the best of your ability. You won't need to do a 30 minute monologue. You aren't going to cover every conceivable topic on the first (or in any) session, anyway. Believe me, an hour can pass pretty darned quick, unless it gets into an area that makes you really uncomfortable. Then you'll be squirming in your seat and time will slow to a crawl.

My G.T always knew when she had hit upon a sensitive area with me, because it was the only time I ever looked at my watch. LOL! She had me pegged pretty good on that score. :lol:

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

You won't blow up anything if you tell the Therapist, "i'm not ready to talk about that yet." at any point. My therapist told me flatly that he was not interested in my sex life at all, I was as old as he was and we agreed that history probably repeated itself in a disgusting way back when we had sex lives. The point was to find out how I had functioned as long as I had without jumping off a bridge, and to help me get to where I could live instead of just survive.