• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

hiding a masculine frame

Guest moggy

Hi

i was wondering if anybody could give me tips on hiding a masculine frame. I dont as yet own any female clothes but am thinking about buying a few things (when i have some cash). I will have to order via the net cos im not sure i would be comfortable at this juncture in the high street.

I am not overly concerned about my face. As authough it is masculine and i do still have short hair, i feel that with a decent wig and a bit of pratice with a makeup kit i should be able to pass in that area.

The main issue is i have very broad shoulders, a large rib cage, large hands, size 10 feet (uk size not sure on conversion to us or european). And also have very muscular legs. And i am 5' 10".

I want to try and get this right. I have never been out in public as a female. And authough i know that without hormone therapy i cant change this. But i feel that if i am ever going to reconcile my thoughts on being transgender one way or the other. I need to get out there. Even if that means just walking up the street and back in the begining.

Thank you for reading and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Moggy

Hi Moggy,

I am no fashion expert, but I do know that for me, one thing that helps make shoulders look less broad is wearing your hair down and over the front of the shoulder. This will kind of break up the shoulders so people will only see ends of them that stick out past the hair. Also, tops with large straps in warmer months. I am not a fan of showing my arms at all but if you're comfortable with it, straps that are around one inch or wide will help break up and section off your shoulders. Another thing that will help is the size of the breast forms that you use. Something proportional to your body will help make your shoulders look less masculine. HRT will probably help just a little bit with this though. Obviously it can't change bone structure but it can change muscle structure so they will look slightly less bulky and broad and every little bit helps.

When you walk, walk with your fingers lightly pressed against your palm, like a loose fist. This will make your hands look smaller, though really hand and feet size isn't something you really need to worry about all that much. I walk with my fingers like that and it definitely doesn't hurt, and it certainly works.

As for Muscular legs it would be hard to say without seeing them but unless you're a body builder, a small heel would help them look more feminine and I would imagine in jean pants or something you would just want to use normal street shoes which would be fine with the legs but heels will do wonders with how your legs look and I guess if you wanted to wear a skirt, depending on style there is hosiery and maybe leggings, though don't tell anyone I suggested wearing leggings under skirts. Some people don't approve of that style. ^^

I hope this helps a bit. Others should be along soon to offer more advice.

Good luck! *Hugs*

~Risu.

Thanks Risu

i like the idea with the hair over shoulder frounts. not sure i could do the straps tho as authough i dont have huge arm muscles i think in the beggining i would wear long sleeves to cover them. i have thought about skirts possibly something ankle length or just shorter. with thigh boots (with a heal as you mentioned).

again thank you that has given me a few ideas.

Hi Moggy!

Good topic. Been down this road years ago and if I forget and buy the wrong thing, I remember quickly The Rules...

No matter how good the girls look in the dresses, camis, and tops in the websites, I cannot wear anything on the upper body that is sleeveless, strappy, or partial sleeve (forget the term..."Flutter sleeve?). Well actually I can, as long as I don't mind looking like a, er, uhm, never mind... I find that long sleeve is good. I have thin arms so fitted or clingy sleeves are ok. I have some loose fitting tops with short sleeves that look great. Same with long sleeve. I have found that loose fitting tops that are too large look masculine so you should maybe try buying a couple sizes in the order and see which fits best. Accept that at least one order will require the hassle of returning items, but then you will have the sizing down. To start, look for tops that have shoulders and armpit areas that are loose, not fitted, but are Sized Right.

Additionally, I find that buying tops and skirts works better than buying dresses. If a dress doesn't look good up top, it is useless. If you buy a skirt and top., you can mix and match with other stuff and if one doesn't look good, you only return the one item. If you buy a solid color skirt get a patterned complementary top. Find a minor color in the patterned piece and match the solid with that color.. . Also, separates provide versatility whereas a dress is one garment at the price of a top and skirt.

Lastly, there are many long skirts (to cover your muscular legs) that are quite nice and feminine. Ones that flare a little in the lower half or third will swirl when you move, which feels nice. Try for elastic waists to start. Zipper, button and no elastic is a recipe for returning stuff. And of course, Have Fun! I just bought 3 skirts and a top at goodwill for $16! They look great!!!

Eventually, you will get to accessorize jewelry, so the fun will continue :)

Huggs

Michelle

Guest DebbieS

I want to try and get this right. I have never been out in public as a female. And authough i know that without hormone therapy i cant change this. But i feel that if i am ever going to reconcile my thoughts on being transgender one way or the other. I need to get out there. Even if that means just walking up the street and back in the begining.

Hi again Moggy

I know that this is slightly off topic, but I am trying to reconcile your thoughts on the need to dress up, and being transgender. Personally I don't think the two share the same table, even if they are in the same room. I am definately trans, and transitioning. However I have no strong desire to wear 'pretty stuff'. I know a lot that think this way too (although I know it's not exclusive).

Debbie