• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Eating Disorders as a Product of GD

Guest adanie46

Guest adanie46

In the past year I've been confronted by a couple different therapists and some friends about my eating and exercise habits. It's been pointed out to me that I can show obsessive behavior when it comes to food and exercise. I simply do not believe I could have an eating disorder no matter how many therapists tell me so. I am older and at least 30lbs overweight. I just don't believe it.

I've been reading around ere and see a lot of people who feel the way I do. Not so much the disbelief but the rationale. I fast or restrict to get rid of hip and breast fat. I exercise for hours to keep muscle tone. I'm not trying to look like a TV or magazine ad. I know better than that. I want to look like what I want. I need to be in control of what people see when they look at me.

I can't say I'm sure why I'm typing this. I think maybe you all could understand or help. Is it possible to have disordered eating behaviors completely stemming from GD? I can't stand to see my body right now. I don't think its food that's the problem. It my body. Does anyone else ever feel like this?

If your doc was saying you eat like one gender does and is expecting you eat like the other I would say, no probably not a eating disorder.

No question tho, that trans issues can cause other conditions and an eating disorder can develop from issues with your body. Even if it entirely stems from GD, it doesn't change the fact.

Since eating disorders relate to the activities around eating and not necessarily absolute body weight. Thos behaviors which may be caused by GD can get entrenched.

So if so many docs say you have a eating disorder it may very well be the case and just because you do have gender dysphoria doesn't mean they should be ignored.

My therapis had a number of clients who had eating disorders as well as being trans she that was always a separate challenge for them.

• Forum Moderator

For me they were intertwined in the past and I know that part of my eating was a form of self abuse. I also know that once I decided to transition I gained contriol over my eating and changed my attitude toward eating.

I knew all the facts-have taught nutrition to families and was required to take yearly nutrition courses. But what I knew intellectually and what I did emotionally were far different things.

I may sound obsessive right now sometimes but I never fast-it can be a good thing for the body but not as a weight loss tool or done regularly. In fact fasting almost certainly will lead to weight gain in the end. Short term results for long term failure. Now that I am connected to this body and can use it to be myself rather than be held hostage by it I am committed to eating healthily. I want to be the best man I can be. I won't be if I'm not healthy too. I will admit for me the exercise is a huge challenge because getting enough exercise to keep my metabolism up and not overstress a body damaged by a lifetime of abuse or trigger a Lupus episode is hard. It's a balance I try to strike. For myself. For my future. Won't matter what I look like if I am too sick or in too much pain to enjoy it.

Transition isn't about how you look. It's really all about living a good life. The best life you can. To do that you have to eat healthily and exercise. Excess won't pay. Which is true of everything when you come to think about it.

Johnny

Guest adanie46

Thank you both. I guess I feel like I'm walking a fine line. For some reason I hadn't really thought about the fact that if I have eating issues it doesn't matter why. That is true. And not matter how much I tell myself excess doesn't pay, I feel like it does.

I really do want to be my best, but I guess at this point it's hard to do that without the approval of others. I guess that is strange, but were are only part ourselves and part what others see I feel. If they don't see me properly, or if I don't present this body properly, part of me is not right.

Guest GinaInside

Hi,

I have always been conscious of my wieght, becasue I wanted a Woman's body. My family always said "you're too skinny ", etc. I could'nt tell them I wanted The Hourglass so bad I would die for it! Well, I learned the hard way that trying to starve yourself is not the best idea. You can lose wieght safely, and achieve a nice figure. Please be very careful about it, because your organs and your heart will be affected by dramtic wieght loss/gain. The only way to do it safely is by long-term goal setting, and self-discipline. And, stress can cause us to overeat. And, yes, I count calories, and calorie value.

Just say "NO" to sugar-loaded junk food! Little things like having an apple instead of a candy bar will go a very long way towards helping achieve your goal.

One thing I ask myself, when I see something really tasty and fatty is: "An extra slice of Pizza(ex), or Size 8? Size 8, definately!"

Hugz,

Gina Renee

• Admin

If the exercise is something that is fun, and that you control, then its fine. It is when the exercise becomes an obsession and starts to control you that is the sign of a real problem.