• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Educational Powerpoint - Tips?

Guest Jesse0319

Guest Jesse0319

Well, I have a psychology class at a local college (I'm taking it as a high schooler), and for our final, we had the option to pick 1 topic from the textbook, and teach the class with a 10-min powerpoint presentation.

On a separate note, the class had previously voted that we take our finals 1 week early (it's a once-a-week class) so that the last week, we can have an open discussion on gender issues like transgenderism. Not a lot of people in the class know about it, and even though it was only mentioned in passing once, they're generally very curious. This open discussion is an optional class, so only those interested will be there.

So, I decided to do my presentation on the transgender spectrum, specifically those individuals who are MtF/FtM, since including too much more would likely confuse the heck out of everyone. I do mention Bi-gendered/non-gendered-ness in the slideshow, though.

Since some people might not have powerpoint, AND there's too many slides to upload them all in one post, I'll link them from photobucket, if that's okay.

Title Slide:

http://i9.photobucke...sonya19/001.gif

http://s9.photobucke...rrent=002-1.gif

On this slide, I show some gender norms as defined by society. Then, I'll have the class some up with more to add to the list, to get them involved, and try to show them just how numerous - and ridiculous - these gender stereotypes are.

http://s9.photobucke...rrent=003-1.gif

To anyone that doesn't know this riddle, the question is, "how is this possible?". The answer is supposed to be that the Dr. is the boy's mother. The reason some people don't come up with that is because of the description, "old doctor". Women aren't the first person you think of as a Dr. that does operations, and aren't usually called old on top of that.

http://s9.photobucke...rrent=004-1.gif

An example of preconcieved gender roles, courtesy of Google.

http://s9.photobucke...current=005.gif

Well...a lot can be said about this one, haha. Obviously it's a "body-swap" movie, and has more to do with stereotypes than TG issues, but I like to include it regardless. I figure that it will start up a lot of good conversation.

http://s9.photobucke...current=006.gif

I was unsure of what to do here, so I hope this isn't too confusing to the class. I want to make sure they understand "transgender" is an umbrella term for LOTS more than MtF/FtM, even though we aren't gonna' actually cover everything.

http://s9.photobucke...current=007.gif

I know this one is neccessary, but I'd like input for how I phrased things. Keep in mind I wanna' keep things as simple as possible. I'm not always good at that!

http://s9.photobucke...current=008.gif

This is one I'm very "iffy" about. I'm one of the people who consistently uses "transgender" in place of "transsexual", and honestly, I've heard of so many different definitions, I don't know which way is up with this word. I'd like to make sure I got it right.

http://s9.photobucke...current=009.gif

Again, I'd like people's opinion for clarification purposes. Do you poeple think I plhrased everything pretty good?

I'm going to be pausing between each slide for a good amount of time (hence why I'm not using transitions in the slideshow). So hopefully that will smooth out the choppiness of the show in general. Please tell me if you think there's anything I should add or talk about that I've missed!

Gawd, it sounds like I want you guys to do my homework Dx Please don't take it that way. I can't ask my mom/dad for help on this school project, so I thought I could ask my extended family at Laura's! :)

I know this post is long enough already, but on another note, I plan to come Out to the class when I present this show. There's only 2 classes left, and since I'm the only high schooler there, I prolly won't ever see anyone from the class ever again (unless I take another class at the college next semester, and they take the same one). Either way, I don't care, since I don't care about their opinion of me. Plus, if I come out, then people can ask me questions, which I consider to be a Very Good Thing!

-Jesse

• Admin

I think its generally very good, but there are a few inaccuracies. For instance, in slide #6, you list transvestite, but also cross dresser. They are the same, but transvestite is now considered a pejorative term. You also have drag queen or king listed with cross dresser. Most would consider them different, as drag king or queen is usually associated with performers or people who are deliberately over the top in public.

In slide #8, transsexual is generally considered to define someone who is or plans to transition, whereas transgendered is an umbrella term that takes in the entire spectrum, from cross dresser to gender queer to intersexed.

I'm sure others will have other comments. Good work, hon. I think your classmates will learn a lot.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Jesse0319

Alright, thanks a bunch, Carolyn! I'll make sure I fix those.

Okay...so what do you call someone who is FtM/MtF, regardless of whether they wanna transition or not? Just Transgender? o-0

Guest John Chiv

Jesse,

I am not doing your homework. Just kidding. I trust Carolyn's input because she has had a lot of practice educating and presenting in front of people. I have some work deadlines but I will try and look at this later, if I can. Good luck with the presentation and coming out.

John

Hey there Jesse!

First of all- I loved it. The stereotypes slide at first I did not understand, but then I re-read it and found myself stereotyping! Masterful! And your idea about coming out after the presentation is extremely powerful. I'm sure that's one class those classmates would never forget.

In slide 2, maybe you should add some typical stereotypes? Like under female put sewing and cooking, etc. It may sound sexist, but that's ultimately what you're trying to describe isn't it?

On slide 7, I don't know if you need cisgender. Just my opinion, I mean some of us here at Laura's probably don't even fully know what it means(I used to think it meant not attracted to any sexes).

I disagree on slide 8, like Carolyn mentioned, Transsexual often describes one who is or is planning transition. And as you asked, anyone in those footsteps could either fall under MtF/FtM also. Perhaps the slide could be titled Transgender, just because the sex and gender don't match up don't make you transsexual automatically!

In addition- maybe on the appropriate slide you could ask the classmates what preconceptions they have of anyone who is TS/TG.

As a fun side note: I had a family of neighbors with totally reversed gender roles. They were also Mormons(so I guess they were able to pull it off). The father wore a kilt, EVERYWHERE. He worked at the school and his nickname was skirt-man. He didn't seem to even care. He wore shorts underneath, in case anyone was curious(ask me how I know that?). The mother I've never seen wear a skirt. Now the son of the family sews, and I mean really sews. He used to sell hats made from scrap fabric. And the sister of the household took and enjoyed woodshop. Always building furniture for the family. Interesting isn't it? They were very lively- the most memorable people on the face of this earth!

~Emily

Guest John Chiv

Jesse,

I liked it all. Just keep it the way it is because this will generate discussion and then you can answer questions. On the very last slide, it would be interesting to see what people think transgender means.

John

Guest Jesse0319

Wow, thanks, everyone, for all your input! I'm gonna' tidy up one slide, and I think I'll leave the rest for open discussion or Q/A afterwards.

I'll tell you how it went after my class this week!

-Jesse

Guest Robin Winter

I think its generally very good, but there are a few inaccuracies. For instance, in slide #6, you list transvestite, but also cross dresser. They are the same, but transvestite is now considered a pejorative term. You also have drag queen or king listed with cross dresser. Most would consider them different, as drag king or queen is usually associated with performers or people who are deliberately over the top in public.

In slide #8, transsexual is generally considered to define someone who is or plans to transition, whereas transgendered is an umbrella term that takes in the entire spectrum, from cross dresser to gender queer to intersexed.

I'm sure others will have other comments. Good work, hon. I think your classmates will learn a lot.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

It was explained to me that the difference between transvestite and cross dresser was that a cross dresser was basically performing and more often than not exaggerated the feminine style, while a transvestite was someone who dressed in clothing traditionally worn by a member of the opposite sex as much of the time as possible because they were genuinely more comfortable doing so.

That may not be accurate, but that's what was taught me and I always felt it made sense.

Guest Jesse0319

Well, I did my presentation, and came out to the class afterward. The whole class kind of gave me a blank stare. It wasn't offensive or disgusted or anything negative atall, just....totally blank.

However, I'm not overly concerned, since most people in that class are of "lower-than-average intelligence level". Basically, there's people in it who want to be certified nurses or psychologists, but have failed Psych 101 twice already. So like I said, I'm not worried about blank stares.

I did what I went to do, and the teacher said it was great. One guy smiled and waved as I left the room. Mission accomplished. :)

-Jesse

• Admin

No matter what their verbal or physical reaction was, Jesse; the fact is, they learned something important, and they met a flesh and blood transman. They'll remember you the next time they see or read about Chaz Bono, and have someone to relate it to. I predict that in future class sessions, one or two or three will come up to you privately and tell you how impressed they were, or how much they learned, or something else positive.

You made a difference, Jesse. That's more important than you'll ever know. I'm proud of you. :goodjob:

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Yeah you said you weren't too affected by blank stares. And now that I think about it, what else could you have expected? If I weren't in the community AT ALL, but taking a psych class, and I'm taking in all this new information(relatively new), it's already unfamiliar. If I were one of those classmates- in their shoes, I don't think I would've done anything else but a blank stare also. I'm sure it wasn't blank as in emotionless, probably blank because they aren't used to travelling this far into this "bizarre" world. I wouldn't know what to feel!

What you did in the end was the kicker. It totally blew up their minds, for now at least.

~Emily

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jesse0319

Well, I had my final class, which we used as an optional open discussion class (since we took our finals 1 week early, that's why we had 1 extra class).

At first, I got into the room and the lights were off, and I got scared that they'd cancelled because no one wanted to come (paranoia....oy xD) but it was all good, the others were just running late.

When one woman got there, she came over and hugged me as soon as she saw me, and told me how proud she was of what I did, etc., and how she would have had questions after my presentation if she'd had time to think beforehand. As it was, she had questions at the Open Discussion, and told us that as a child, she'd had thoughts of wanting to be a guy as well, and had questioned if she was transgendered.

The same woman also told me how she had been best friends with a girl growing up, and years later she saw the woman again...with her wife. She told the woman "Oh, I didn't know you were gay." not intending anything bad, because she didn't care. But the woman took offense, and they never saw each other again. The lady (from class) told me that when I ran out of class after my presentation (I had to hurry out, 'cause my mom had ice cream waiting in the car), she thought, "Oh no, I did it again!"

A few of the other students had questions, too, including one guy that I'd become friends with. They were all really cool about it.

Just thought I'd share :)

Unfortunately, I'm not taking a class AT the college next semester, I'm moving online 'cause they don't offer my class there. So, I won't get the chance to see those people again. Which was kind of my reasoning for comming out, but still.

-Jesse

Guest chngnwnd

Check the resources section on the DC Trans Coalition web site - you may find something you find useful inthe training materials we use with the DC poice department.

Bobbi