• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trans Flight Crew Takes to the Air

Carolyn Marie

• Admin

A Thai charter airline, PC Air, has hired four trans flight attendants, an apparent first in airline history. Lovely ladies, all.

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the name of the airline ironic? :lol:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/15/thailand-transgender-flight-attendants_n_1150967.html?ref=travel&ir=Travel#s545536

Carolyn Marie

Guest John Chiv

Someday Bobbi, someday we will get there. There has to be a first, followed by a second, and a third and then it just is :)

I appreciate these news articles Carolyn posts because we get to read them all here and may not even find them in our regular news reading.

John

It's not a "Trans Flight Crew" until the pilot and engineer are trans, too......Shelly and I volunteer !

lol

Dee Jay

Don't forget the Air Marshal. I can do that one. ;)

<3

Elena

Does anyone wonder what I do? Why concentrate trans into one crew rather than simply use as they would use anyone else?

If one has transitioned MTF, why not consider them the same as any other woman? Why consider them as something different? While it seems to be a positive step, in a way it is saying trans women aren't really woman isn't it.

• Admin

Does anyone wonder what I do? Why concentrate trans into one crew rather than simply use as they would use anyone else?

OK, Drea, I'll bite. What do you do?

I agree that its a gimmick, but its still good visibility and good marketing, and hopefully some good things will come out of it. If this experiment is successful, maybe it will lead to more good things. In any case, there are four transwomen with decent jobs, not having to hide their true selves, and being good ambassadors for the community. Win, win, win!

Carolyn Marie

Anything that is said can be taken multiple ways - with a positive spin or a negative.

Yes they have them all on the same crew, that can be considered as a negative but they are working as flight attendants so that is a positive.

We have to start somewhere - if we do nothing we can not progress at all.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Lacey Lynne

If one has transitioned MTF, why not consider them the same as any other woman? Why consider them as something different? While it seems to be a positive step, in a way it is saying trans women aren't really woman isn't it.

Agreed, Drea.

My guess is that the novelty of it all is the attraction the airline is banking on ... for now. However, I believe this is a marvelous start which will evolve into what you describe above. Humanity IS evolving as it MUST evolve if we are to survive as a species.

Not to nerd out on any of you, but, honestly, I COULD do an F. Lee Bailey trip and make an air-tight case proving that the U.S.A. among the most backward, regressive and primitive nations on Earth in its attitudes and ideas and ideals.

Now, at first blush, many people who are Americans will see this, blanch and then rage at my apparent unpatriotic tone. These are the "America, love it or leave it!" people. Lacey's here to say that patriotism for ANY country by ANY person is both juvenile and dangerous. There is ONE country: Earth. There is ONE race: Humanity.

The worldwide Power Elite (Ownership & Rulership Class) WANTS people divided, because it's easier to control them that way. It doesn't matter what the issue is. They want people divided, fighting and distracted. Doubt it not. The technique is called The Hegelian Dialectic, and The Power Elite have used it for centuries to divide, conquer and rule. They greatly fear humanity coming together, because once we do, we'll realize that these people are evil parasites who make Earth the hell it is rather than the paradise it could be.

Anyway, enough conjecture and lecture. Suffice it to say that this is HUGE news! Carolyn, you're the transworld's very own Edward R. Murrow. Keep these frontline reports flowing, girl! We LOVE 'em!

Peace :thumbsup: Lacey

OK, Drea, I'll bite. What do you do?

Exactly as I said "Why concentrate trans into one crew rather than simply use as they would use anyone else?".

If I were one of that crew I would question why I am being singled out and not treated as any other woman. I have no particular desire to be a curiosity or be special in any way.

I understna dthat there are those who welcome it however and feel that having trans singled out in such a way is a good thing. To me it demonstrates thaat they see trans women as trans first, women second. Not something I would want for myself.

• Admin

If I were one of that crew I would question why I am being singled out and not treated as any other woman. I have no particular desire to be a curiosity or be special in any way.

I see your point, Drea, but I think you need to look at it from their point of view. Katoey's are marginalized in Thai society, as I understand it, and have few opportunities for jobs that genetic women would hold. This is probably a fantastic opportunity for a Thai transwoman to get into a mainstream career, and I doubt if they would look at it with the same disdain that you or I would. Baby steps are necessary, sometimes. They are still steps in the right direction.

Carolyn Marie

I see your point, Drea, but I think you need to look at it from their point of view. Katoey's are marginalized in Thai society, as I understand it, and have few opportunities for jobs that genetic women would hold. This is probably a fantastic opportunity for a Thai transwoman to get into a mainstream career, and I doubt if they would look at it with the same disdain that you or I would. Baby steps are necessary, sometimes. They are still steps in the right direction.

I seem to remember in another topic someone claiming that in Thialand trans was well accepted. Maybe that wasn't exactly correct given what you are saying?

Now this isn't about a flight attendant, but the subject reminds me of something. Anyone remember the trans actress in the movie Millenium that was made all the way back in 1989? At one point in the movie her character was pretending to be a flight attendant.

I am not going to begruge anyone who wishes to live openly as trans. My point is that there been trans folk doing such things for many years. That the discussion now isn't so much about acceptance of trans in their new role as much as acceptance of people who wish to identify and live openly as trans.

Guest Minerva

PC Air is certainly not the first airline to hire transgendered people. Several Dutch Airlines have transgender cabin crew and even transgender pilots in active service. The main difference: They don't use it as a publicity stunt. These people are just on the payroll as man or women with very few people knowing their medical histories.

If I understood correctly, the ladies at PC air have to wear a badge stating they are trans to "protect" passengers from certain fantasies.