• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Seeing A Gyno

Guest Keiichi-kun

Guest Keiichi-kun

So as a normal 19 year old physical girl I've been worrying when I should start seeing doctors for female stuff. Getting mammograms and seeing a gynocologist. I'm not quite sure when girls should start doing this but I do know my 19 year old roomate has been to one. The thing is I really don't want to go. I'm not comfortable with my down there and I really don't need someone prodding around in there. I already see a urologist who has to do stuff down there and I absolutely hate it :unsure: I'm not sure if I should bring it up with my mom or not.

The guideline is that you should have a PAP smear once you either 1. start having sex or 2. turn 21, whichever comes first.

so, depending on lifestyle, you may be off the hook for 2 more years.

Hope that helps.

MK

Guest StrandedOutThere

Yeah...and people generally only start getting yearly mammograms after age 40. If you have a family history of breast cancer, then they suggest starting them earlier than that.

On the issue of the gyno, I have been avoiding that for years. Now that I am 30 I am about to go for the first time (shudder). It is not fun, but it is one of those things that is important that you keep up with. I have a friend who just died of cancer. I used to say to myself that I'd welcome cancer because it would solve a lot of my problems. After actually SEEING what it does, I have changed my mind. PAP smear...here I come...even though I hate you.

MKs got all the bases covered.

There is also the possibility (if you need to have a PAP done) of explaining your apprehension to the doctor before going to see them - or finding a trans-friendly doctor. This way theyll be better able to help you through the process. Also, consider taking someone with you that knows how you feel about the whole thing for support. Just a couple ideas.

good luck. let us know how things go. we'll be here for you.

Ray

Guest Keiichi-kun

Stupid busy college life made me forget I started this thread :blush: Anyways I guess I can hold off a PAP for another two years, still gonna ask my mom about it though. Luckily no breast cancer in my family also so I'll hold off on the mammo for now. And Stranded you have a point. PAP smears will only hurt me but cancer will hurt everyone I know.

Guest harvester52

One thing I wonder... would they be willing to sedate you for that test? I have panic attacks BAD and the very thought of that starts to make me shake. I know that if I did it without being sedated, I'd probably kick the doctor.

Guest StrandedOutThere

I hear they'll sometimes dope you up on valium or something. Panic attacks are wack. I have them too, but they are getting better lately.

I'm having to get a PAP smear within the next month or two. Major bummer. From what I hear, it is over pretty quickly...so that's a good thing.

• 2 months later...
Guest Crossroads

I'm 23, and my partner has been trying to get me to go for a year now. I'm terrified and hateful (to be honest).

I keep saying "I'll just go schedule a hysterectomy right now, and then I won't need one! Please?"

sigh