• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hopeful news from Florida

Guest Guest 1

Guest John Chiv

http://news.yahoo.com/biological-mom-kept-child-lesbian-legal-case-223154903--abc-news.html

Although this is a victory for lesbian and gay couples, it is a hopeful positive development and it happened for once without a gay organization's direct involvement, I say without direct involvement because I am sure LGBT organizations assisted.

Positive stories and credit to allies is not often mentioned and I wanted to post this article for that purpose.

John

• Admin

I personally see elements in this that go beyond even the GLBT community. I am happy to see it in the long run, but also see some heartbreak and confusion. I hope in the long run, it helps us to define for adults, what needs no definition for a child, who can love someone!!

Guest John Chiv

Shilo in principle yes but legally not so simple. The biological mother was not the birth mother and yet both had equal rights and got acknowledged as parents. The fact that they were lesbians was not an issue. It is a good victory.

John

Guest Donna Jean

Tina's biological daughter turned 8 this week, but she has not seen the girl since Dec. 22, 2008, because of a custody fight with her former lesbian partner. The partner is unrelated to the child, but gave birth to her.

How can she be unrelated to the child and give birth to her?

Wouldn't that make her the mother?

Dee Jay

Guest Robin Winter

As far as I'm concerned that makes her every bit as much her mother as being the donor of the egg does. They came together and both contributed to the birth of the child in a very real physical way. Being a parent is far more than just donating genetic material, it's also about self sacrifice, and there can be no doubt that the woman who carried that child gave of herself. The law is flawed.

Guest John Chiv

Shilo,

I am not defending the law, and I agree with you!

Just posted this because it was a good ruling. And was just answering Dee Jay's question. Laws are far from perfect but case by case progress is made. And in this case, justice was done and love prevailed.

John

• Admin

I think the decision is fair, and makes the best out of a very complicated situation. Thanks for posting this, John.

Carolyn Marie

Guest eliza.d

i agree, joint custody, shilo has a very good point.

john youre right about the lesbian card not being thrown in the further dismay a complicated case. that was an important victory, our sexual preference(or as we know, our gender), should not keep us from equal protection under the law.

when is our country going to get out of the dark ages and protect the equal rights of all of its citizens?

we can hope, pray, and fight for it everyday...oneday we will win.

Eliza