• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Pre-HRT lasering & post-HRT regrowth?

Guest Shy

Okay. So my girlfriend just became certified for laser hair removal. This is pretty awesome for me because it means free laser treatments. Yesterday was my first appointment and it wasn't too too bad. It's funny, you'd think that the butt crack would be MORE sensitive than midbrow...

Anyhow... the point of this thread: my girlfriend mentioned I'd have to take care of any lasering I wanted done prior to starting HRT because hormones makes the hair grow in abnormal cycles. The spa she works at doesn't perform laser on pregnant women, supposedly because the hormones are high. But I made the point that it's probably because they have a baby inside them that they don't perform laser. I'm fairly certain lots of transwomen get laser treatments done while transitioning...

It makes sense that the laser treatments would work less efficiently if your body hairs are becoming lighter, but to not work at all because your body chemistry is that of a woman? Although, I can see some merit to the theory in that HRT is kind of like a second puberty... Maybe hairs would regrow?

Anyone out there have any experience getting laser treatments pre-HRT and subsequently going on hormones? I am interested to hear what happened to you!

Guest Enigmana

That's strange, because when I went in for a consultation about starting laser I was told that if I was on HRT then it would be more effective and I would require fewer sessions. Can someone who knows more about this chime in and clear this up? I probably won't be starting HRT for a while anyways, but it would still be nice to know.

One thing I do know about laser is that it targets the melanin in dark hairs, something light hairs have very little of. This is why it is not recommended for people with light hair colors, the laser wont hit the follicles because it can't *see* them. Conversely, people with darker complexions have a lot of melanin in their skin, and thus the laser cannot differentiate between the hairs and skin.

Since one of the major aspects of HRT is overall reduction of body hair, it makes sense that dark hairs, turned lighter/finer through HRT, would no longer be targetable by the laser. I don't know if this is the case, but it stands to reason.

I am wondering if I got all of my body done, and THEN started hormones, would hair grow again like a girl in puberty? or are the hair follicles done for good? I won't be on HRT for a while either, gotta save up to freeze some swimmers first. In the meantime, I'd be crazy not to take advantage of free lasering.... right??

Guest mumbaigirl

Hormones may prolong the hair cycles but they won't make them 'abnormal'. You might have to go less frequently for the sessions. Eg: Once in 8-10 weeks instead of once in 6-8 weeks on arms.

Most transwomen have laser treatments while they are on HRT. Not to forget many hirsute women, who have PCOS (or/and other medical diseases), simultaneously take anti-androgens and have laser treatments. It is safe to be on HRT and do laser. You should NOT be on any photosensitizing medications though. Spironolactone and estradiol valerate are NOT known to cause photosensitivity.

Laser doesn't care if you're a man or a woman. What it does care about is the THICKNESS of your hair. Thicker the hair, the better. HRT will make your hair fine, making laser less effective. At one point, your hair might become too fine to be laser-ed at all. (This is usually NOT the case with facial hair)

Hair follicles once destroyed effectively by laser cannot re-grow. Your body might produce new hair (out of dormant follicles) as you age. This could be due to n number of reasons.

If you do get laser-ed first and then have HRT, your body WOULD NOT produce any new hair BECAUSE of HRT, since HRT will be SUPPRESSING testosterone.

In fact, if you don't have HRT sometime soon after laser, your body would start producing new hair- thanks to testosterone as genetic men develop new hair till their 40s. ( Some say 30s)

• Admin

HRT has no effect on facial hair, but will make body hair grow slower, and the hairs should become finer as well. I'm not sure if the melanin in body hair is reduced or not.

I have never heard of anyone having issues with laser treatments on facial hair during HRT. It's up to you, but I don't think it will be a problem. But if you're considering doing laser on body hair, I would wait until after HRT has done its work, maybe 12 months or so, and see what happens. I get hardly any leg hair anymore, and what little is there I can shave in two minutes. I only shave my legs and body about once a month now.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Amanda Whyte

I only shave my legs and body about once a month now.

Yeah!!! Shaving my chest and stomach every other day and not getting perfectly smooth skin lessens the affect of my "shower therapy".

Guest Enigmana

Since we're on the topic, I was wondering if HRT usually reduces body hair (excluding facial hair) enough so that laser isn't typically necessary. I know some get laser for body hair, but is that usually needed? I don't have much chest hair, most of it is on my legs and arms. I have to shave every week or so currently, so even doing it once a month or so would be a big improvement.

• Admin

Since we're on the topic, I was wondering if HRT usually reduces body hair (excluding facial hair) enough so that laser isn't typically necessary.

I can answer in three words: it all depends. :)

Reactions to HRT vary widely, and no two people are alike. You'll just have to wait and see.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

If you do get laser-ed first and then have HRT, your body WOULD NOT produce any new hair BECAUSE of HRT, since HRT will be SUPPRESSING testosterone.

In fact, if you don't have HRT sometime soon after laser, your body would start producing new hair- thanks to testosterone as genetic men develop new hair till their 40s. ( Some say 30s)

Great answer, thanks for the info! I have definitely noticed new hairs in recent years... Hope I can get on HRT soon enough to stop that. In the meantime, I'll continue to get rid of the old ones.

But if you're considering doing laser on body hair, I would wait until after HRT has done its work, maybe 12 months or so, and see what happens. I get hardly any leg hair anymore, and what little is there I can shave in two minutes. I only shave my legs and body about once a month now.

Carolyn Marie

I've heard a few ladies recommend waiting until HRT takes hold, but the thing is, I don't feel I'm ready for that yet. Things are getting closer to where they need to be (good job, expendable cash, I came out to my gf, etc), but I'm just not at a point where that is viable yet (sperm bank, coming out to family, etc). Still, I'd like to start my physical transition ASAP, and getting rid of body hair helps keep the mental image of being a woman alive... Not to mention the fact that I'm only going to be able to get these free laser sessions for so long. I feel like I should take advantage while I still can. I really want to do my face, but that, like HRT, would be such a permanent change... I feel like I'm personally ready for all of the physical changes, but I am NOT ready for the social consequences. I don't want to explain myself, ever... ugh.. Thanks for the info Carolyn!

Guest mumbaigirl

@ Shy: Even if you decide not to have laser treatments, you can wax or shave regularly and be hair-free. I'd HIGHLY suggest you have laser treatments though since they are FREE and you have nothing to lose as long as you're being treated SAFELY at good settings. See that you laser only those areas which have COARSE hair. Laser works well only on coarse hair. Laser may actually increase the hair growth if you treat areas like upper arms, shoulders and back with FINE hair as these areas are prone to laser induced growth. Laser your face when you're ready to face the world. First few of sessions of laser might leave you with an extremely patchy beard and people might notice it and question you. All the best! :)

@ Enigmana:

"That's strange, because when I went in for a consultation about starting laser I was told that if I was on HRT then it would be more effective and I would require fewer sessions. Can someone who knows more about this chime in and clear this up? I probably won't be starting HRT for a while anyways, but it would still be nice to know."

Laser treatments will not be more effective on HRT. Although she is right about you needing lesser sessions, it is VERY important to understand why you would probably need lesser sessions on HRT:

Let us say you get 6-8 laser treatments now without HRT and your face becomes hair-free - Soon, your body MAY start producing NEW hair because of the testosterone circulating in your body and then you would need EXTRA 2-3 treatments to get rid of the NEW hair.

On the other hand, if you get laser treatments on HRT, your body would most likely not produce any NEW hair so you'd be done in 6-8 effective treatments.

"Since we're on the topic, I was wondering if HRT usually reduces body hair (excluding facial hair) enough so that laser isn't typically necessary. I know some get laser for body hair, but is that usually needed? I don't have much chest hair, most of it is on my legs and arms. I have to shave every week or so currently, so even doing it once a month or so would be a big improvement."

Laser is not usually needed. You can wax or shave regularly to be hair-free. Yes, HRT will SLOW down the growth of body hair, so you'd have to shave less often. It will also affect the thickness of the hair leading to apparent reduction.

Guest Robin Winter

Body hair removal before hrt is generally not recommended for two reasons that I'm aware of.

1. HRT can make a lot of it go away.

2. Major hormonal changes can cause previously dormant follicles to become active.

Because of reason number 2 (well, that and the financial part of it) I opted not to start facial hair removal until well into HRT as well, at least until my levels become consistant and where they're supposed to be.