• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

BMI

Guest Basilo

Well, for height, women tend to weigh less than men. So, i was wondering if HRT's effects on your muscle mass would cause your BMI to change from whatever number you are on the male chart to the same number on the female chart?

• Forum Moderator

Yes the change in muscle mass would tend to make you fall on the other chart after awhile but males also tend to have slightly higher bone density and larger bones.

Besides which BMI is at best a very loose guideline and not accurate for all. I have larger than average bones and more than average bone density for a female bodied-verified by Drs.-that made the BMI inaccurate for me. To the point that once at a weight the BMI said was slightly overweight my Dr was having a fit because he said I was emaciated. It can work the other way as well-it can say you are fine and you may actually have more than a healthy body fat.

You can tell the amount of fat you are carrying pretty well by observation. Iif you get too thin you won't have that layer of fat essential for a woman to look soft and feminine-it will also affect breast size because they are primarily made up of fatty tissue.

Johnny

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ZoeG360

The BMI is about the most useless but overused number on the planet. It is a calculated number whoes formula was developed for working with population masses, not as a predictor of health and body fat in an individual. Somehow insurance companeis have thought its simplicity would be a great way to motivate people to lose weight but in effect, they use it to deny people converage and classify people as obese.

Its ludicrous to think that a simple formula involving height and weight can identify the % of body fat without taking into account all the other variables such as lean muscle mass, bone density, ethnicity, age, and gender. If you are athletic or muscular, its totally off. If you are tall, its totally off.