• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Body hair changes?

Guest ShaunaMichelle

Guest Shauna B

So, I have read several things about the effects HRT has on body hair, but, as is mentioned so many times on this site, the effects of hormones are different for everyone. I am curious as to real peoples experience with this, not just in reading what is listed as a side effect. I naturally do not have a lot of body hair, i.e. I can count my chest hairs on my hand and still have fingers to spare and my legg hair is probably slightly less dense than a typical male.

As an example of why I ask: My wife doesn't like it when I shave my legs because they feel like sandpaper within a day or two, and I am hoping that HRT will cause less hair growth as well as softer hair with a slower regrowth rate.

So, what has it been like for you?

Thanks ;-)

Shauna

Guest Ney'ite

For me, I just passed my 2-year mark last month (12/2011) on HRT and have very little body hair left. What is left is a lot softer than before I started. I was not all that hairy to begin with, and it has not eliminated it, but it has DRASTICALLY reduced it. Much of my body hair has been replaced by really really fine short blonde hair . . . the same as you would expect to find on any natal woman.

Of course, electrology (or laser if you prefer) would still likely be sought since HRT does not affect facial hair other than perhaps making it grow back slower and be somewhat softer.

This is just my personal experience. :-)

YMMV, but for me at around the six month mark my body hair started to diminish, today at nearly 4 years on hrt i pluck a hair or two from my chest area maybe once every few months, my leg and body hair are fine and blondish and i can go two or three weeks between shaving, what does grow is fine and not course.

Paula

Hey Shauna,

Well I am FtM so I can't really share any personal experiences :) But my girlfriend is MtF and her body hair has gone down drastically after approximately 2 years of HRT. She used to have fairly heavy chest hair and now it's almost entirely gone as is the hair on her arms, belly, hips and legs. She needs to shave her legs etc. but the hair doesn't really wanna grow out very quickly. As far as facial hair, she does need electrolysis/laser but the hair is slow coming out as well, a LOT slower than before hormones. So for her, HRT has made HUGE differences.

All the best,

Talon.

As an example of why I ask: My wife doesn't like it when I shave my legs because they feel like sandpaper within a day or two, and I am hoping that HRT will cause less hair growth as well as softer hair with a slower regrowth rate.

I can't offer any insight on the HRT side of things, but I'm genetically female with moderately dense but thin blond body hair--and my legs feel like sandpaper a day or two after I shave them, too. My mom and grandmas are the same way. So if the HRT doesn't have much of an affect on your leg hair, you might just take after the other women in your family! Genetics, whoop.

Guest Donna Jean

YMMV, but for me at around the six month mark my body hair started to diminish, today at nearly 4 years on hrt i pluck a hair or two from my chest area maybe once every few months, my leg and body hair are fine and blondish and i can go two or three weeks between shaving, what does grow is fine and not course.

Paula

I'm three years on HRT and my hairy experience pretty much mirrors Paula's here......

Donna Jean

Guest Shauna B

Paula

I'm three years on HRT and my hairy experience pretty much mirrors Paula's here......

Donna Jean

I soooo hope that I am as lucky as you both!

Shauna