• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Adventures in Androland

Guest Juniper Blue

Guest Juniper Blue

Hi All,

A funny thing happened today that really made me laugh and I had to share it:

I was at the Groovy Health Food market today buying organic Fava Beans, Prunes, Quinoa, Japanese Yams and other stuff that's very exciting to only pocketful of health geeks, like me. Today is the day that fresh produce arrives and so, I was waiting in line with about 25 (mostly) skinny people who looked like they might benefit from a Big Mac once in while, at least for the protein. Anyway, as luck would have it .. I was standing behind the only screaming child in the place. I don't mind .... I was a screaming child once myself... sometimes, I still am. Anyway, the little girl takes a long look at me ... there is the golden sound of SILENCE and then she says quite loudly "Mom, is that a BOY or a Girl??!" Mom turns around to look at me and says "Honey, that is a BOY ... of course!" She then apologizes to me. I smile calmly and reply ... not a problem .. I get that all of the time. "I'm a GIRL ." Mom apologizes once more but this time with great vigor. I again assure her that it is no problem. That it is good for kids to see people like me so that when they are adults they won't be so afraid and they will be nice. We start laughing. Then Mom explains that yes, she is so happy that her school has just added a Special Ed program for children with developmental disabilities. I smile politely as my mind draws the parallel from Androgyny to Downe's Syndrome ... And I reply "That's great!" At that point, her daughter decided to start begging for high fiber cookies ... and Mom and I were off the hook. LOL.

I have had this kind of thing happen to me since early childhood. I am often called the "Boy-Girl" by young children. It is not said in a mean way but more like one might say "Unicorn". Children often sneak peeks at me behind trees or their Mother's legs and the look is one of wonder and awe. The parents are sometimes more freaked out by me but I find that this fades when they see that I am a friendly and kind of funny Unicorn who wishes them only Rainbows and Happiness. (Or something like this).

You know, I was unsure of how the double mastectomy would affect people's impression of my gender. I thought that, if anything, my 80% "Sir" rate would probably go up a notch. However, although I still get the occasional "Sir" I seem to be getting neither "Sir" or "Ma'am" 90% of the time. This suits me quite well as an Androgyne.

So the Art of Not passing. Hmmmm ... To me ... it is remembering to laugh ... know that all who stare are not "out to get you" ... some may just be curious ... others may be amazed by you ... some may want to date you ... some may want to be more like you.

Some may think you are a Unicorn.

Hugs to All,

JB

Guest Lacey Lynne

That is one of the COOLEST posts on Laura's Playground for a long time!

GREAT GREAT GREAT!

Lizzie

Juniper Blue:

See Lizzie's quotation above? All I can say in reply to that is: FRIGGIN' A, BABES-BRO!!!

Doggone if a kindred spirit hasn't shown up on Laura's Playground: ALRIGHT !!!

Sur's UP! In your honor, let's go gender surfin' with The Androgyne's Androgyne. Doesn't hurt that his the richest and most famous androgyne in the world either. Some say he did androgyny as a stage schtick for fame. Well, I say there's more to it that that ... much more. Click this link. Go down most of the way towards the bottom, and you find a song. Honey-Holmes, THIS one's for YOU:

http://www.lauras-playground.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=40013&st=0&p=371526&hl=+rebel%20+rebel&fromsearch=1entry371526

Androgyny rocks! Androngyny rocks! Did I say ANDROGYNY ROCKS?!?

You, Blue, are The Real Deal. We've been needing a hale and hearty gender surfer around here. Well, here you are!

Kawagunba :friends: Lacey

Postscript:

Mommy? Is THAT a ... ???

imagesCABPL0NO.jpg

Ohhh ... my ... GAWWWDDD!!!