• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Progesterone! Whos on it?

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

Okay so on Thursday I went to my doctors for my regular check ups, and I asked if my breast were going to grow. Sadly he said no, but he gave me the option to start on progesterone. He said there is no evidence that I will grow, but other patients swear they grow. I'm a little scared because he said the big risk is...weight gain. I'm scared because I finally got over my body image problems and I wouldn't want some sort of relapse.

So who has been on progesterone? I would really like to know if you gained weight, and if you grew a good amount in the chest area.

A little about me, i've been on Estradiol and Spironolactone , highest dose, so the progesterone is new. I'm 5'8, 145 lb, a small bone structure. My weight is at a healthy weight write now, I'm not fat and I don't want to change that!!

Guest Karen K

Aly,

As has been stated many times before: your milage may vary, as far as any development you may or may not get. Only your own physiology can determine that.

I am currently on Estrodiol, Spiro and a MedroxyProgesterone. I am 16 months HRT and started at a very low dosage of Premarin when I was 48 y/o and then slowly ramped up, then adding Spiro, and substituting E for Premarin. Only time will tell how much growth I will get.

As to what if any benefit the progesterone has given, I can not say with any degree of certainty that it has helped. I have not been taking measurements during the various stages on my transition. Only my endo has been plotting my development and that at 4 month intervals. I continue as she advises to take the prescribed amounts.

Laura Jane

Guest Megan_Lynn

Okay so on Thursday I went to my doctors for my regular check ups, and I asked if my breast were going to grow. Sadly he said no, but he gave me the option to start on progesterone. He said there is no evidence that I will grow, but other patients swear they grow.

Wow i am a bit shocked that a Doctor whom should know what they are talking about would tell you you will not grow breasts on hrt. While granted everyones mileage is different. You are still young and will most likely get way better results then older trans woman will. I myself am not on Progestrone but do know many seem to feel it will help incress breast growth. As far as the breast growth I was flat as a bored up top before hrt and now suport a full 42 C so yes they can and do grow. And I started hrt like 20 plus years older then you did. I started hrt just 2 months before my 39th b-day and and just turned 42 this past month

( hrt for almost 40 months now). Breast growth for me did not happen over night and took a good while before any was realy noticeable. What I did notice rigth off the bat was the swelling of the nipples and sourness with some pain. And they would grow in spirts. Just when you think they were done growing then the soreness and pain would return and they got bigger yet again(yay

). Only way you would not be getting any results from hrt would be if the siro was not doing its job keeping testoterone at bay. Anyways you are in so many ways so far ahead of so many of us other trans woman in looks and you have that great full thick long hair (jelious as mine is so so thin). So many of us would have done just about anything to have started transistion at your young age so as not to have waisted so many years of our lifes the wrong way. When was your age there was like zero access to trans knowledge and just thought I was crazy so kept quite about myself sufering inside. Be gald you have the chance to attend to these issues so early in life.

Your mileage may vary but for me the effects of Progesterone have been highly noticeable.

I attempted transition once before when I was 19-20. 10 months E and Spiro. I had some breast growth,.. to a AA and my skin got softer. No changes to body hair or anything else noticeably except perhaps my face.

This time around age 25, 7 months E and Spiro with Progesterone added at 4 months. To answer your question yes I have had breast growth since starting. None in fact this time around until I started Progesterone and around the end of my Progesterone cycle last month was when I noticed the tenderness. When I started HRT this time around I weighed around 255 and I am down to 210 with 3 months of Progesterone behind me so far so it hasn't inhibited my weightloss. I still easily lose 1-3 lbs per week BUT I also get a few extra cravings especially for something chocalatey, crunchy, or salty (all of the above works too) so I do have to be careful with that, but I also only take it a few days out of the month it's not an all month thing. Also, almost all of my body hair has turned blonde, well the unwanted hair and a lot of areas have started thining. I can usually pull hairs out with my fingers and no pain or effort, it just falls right out.

I don't know if your doctor mentioned the mood swings. The first two months were pure unbridled turmoil. Every little thing set me off on the highest of emotional highs and the lowest of emtional lows but last month I was completely fine and I am eager to see what will happen this month. The mood swings can be brutal though so be sure to be prepared for that too. It may not happen that way for you but just in case if you start feeling a little crazy you'll know why.

You are still young and it is entirely possible you will develope more. Developement can take 7 to 10 years to complete. It may not be dramatic but it can still happen with or without progesterone. If you do decide to start the progesterone keep us informed of how it goes!

Guest mistygirl7

I'm 25 been taking progestorone since I started hrt two years ago and still on them now. My breast has grown to b cup to a small c. I'm 5`9 when i started I was 230 and been losing weight while on hormones and down to 199. Weight does flexuate 2 to 3 pounds. Weight gain only happened when you don't watch what you eat. The craving of sweet stuff dose happen.

Guest Leah1026

You didn't say how long you've been on HRT. In time almost everyone gets at least some development. Full development can stretch over many years.

I used a micronized progesterone (Prometium or Microgest) for about 4 years. I didn't get much development from estrogen, but I think the progesterone helped round out, or make fuller, what I did get.

Your mileage may vary but for me the effects of Progesterone have been highly noticeable.

For me also.

I have not been on HRT as long as some of the other girls, not yet 11mths, but when I saw my Ob/gyn the last time she said we should start Prometium. I have been on it for about 3-4mths and have noticed a large difference. I was maybe AA and now I'm a large A, small B. I know I will get bigger.

I'm 5'6" and when I started I was 150. When the T went, so did my energy. I have found some of it and the weight is coming off again. My goal is 135. I should be able to hit that mark in about 4mths.

Best of luck

I have been on Progesterone for about 5 weeks...

Breast growth has taken off again and it is simply amazing to behold!

Moods? Are you saying I'm MOODY???

Well, yes, I have been very emotional and weepy (and snuggly and hungry and feeling cruddy and feeling giddy and sad and depressed), did I mention that I felt depressed? Yes, for about 2-3 weeks I was definitely feeling down. On a depression scale from zero to negative ten, I was a negative three or four for a while. My overall mood lifted and I am still pretty moody..

BUT...

There has been a subtle change in how I process my thoughts and emotions, too, And it is a GOOD change, a powerfully satisfying connectivity that seems progressive.

My doctor believes that progesterone not only increases the development of the breast, but plays a role in the development of a female adolescent brain. I feel like it is helping me function psychologically, but granted, I have no objective data to confirm it..

His usual recommendation is to use progesterone for 18-24 moths, then reduce it over the next year to mimic a bio female's puberty. The actual durations will be subject to adjustment based on observations down the road..

In short, it works for me...

YMMV!!

Love. Svenna

Guest Lacey Lynne

Well, as of tomorrow, I'm 2 years and 2 months on HRT, and my prescribing doctor REFUSES to prescribe progesterone for me or for anybody, and she's been treating transsexuals for 31 years. She says there are considerable risks for questionable benefits. I believe she's right. Progesterone is involved with natal females in their monthly cycles and basically would have no real role for us. Just my two-cents' worth. My doctor agrees.

Peace :thumbsup: Lacey

Guest Leah1026
Well, as of tomorrow, I'm 2 years and 2 months on HRT, and my prescribing doctor REFUSES to prescribe progesterone for me or for anybody, and she's been treating transsexuals for 31 years. She says there are considerable risks for questionable benefits. I believe she's right. Progesterone is involved with natal females in their monthly cycles and basically would have no real role for us. Just my two-cents' worth. My doctor agrees.

Many doctors get stuck in old ways and don't keep up with modern trends. She's probably thinking about progestins, which is what they used to give people, not bio-identical progesterone (i.e. prometrium) that we have today. Progestins have a much higher occurrence of side effects. Also progestorone, like any hormone, affects a LOT of different things, not just cycles. My endocrinologist (who also teaches are Dartmouth Medical School) wasn't convinced either, but he saw no harm in it either. Because of his flexibility I, and many others, have benefitted.

Taking Progesterone isn't only about periods. As my doctor put it, taking progesterone stimulates your brain, specifically certain regions/organs in the brain to act more female, feel more female and generally help give the effects of HRT a kick in the pants to get started and make a bit of progress. I take Prometrium and my doctor never mentioned any extra chance of health risks and he is very thorough. I think I'm going to have to agree with Leah here. The problem is Prometrium is extremely expensive for the uninsured.

Like your doctor Lacey, my doctor has been treating Transsexuals for many many years. He studied under the internist at John's hopkins who prescribed for Christine Jorgensen and when he was tired of treating Christine my doctor took over for him. He has been involved with multiple studies at UCLA on Trans health and internal medicine for transsexuals so I feel pretty confident this is something he has had plenty of experience with. When it comes to doctors, they all have their own methods, habits and beliefs. I can't tell you how many refused to treat me because of "lack of experience".

I'm not sure if it had anything to do at all with the prometrium but before transition and during the early days of HRT I felt more genderless. I knew I wasn't male but wasn't sure I could call myself female either. After the first cycle of Prometrium there was no doubt in my mind, my brain really is female, I really do feel female and like many here that is how I now identify myself without hesitation anymore. There is a chemical side to periods, a hormonal side and an emotional side along with the physical unpleasantness bio females experience. I think it made a difference for me beyond the physical changes.

Without more solid and reliable information, more studies, etc, it's hard to say if Progesterone makes any difference or not. Ultimately it should be up to patient whether the risks out weigh the benefits, so long as they are of sound mind and good physical health. Ultimately I think anyone considering it should do their own research and make their own decisions. We are not doctors here and can only relate our own experiences.

~Jade.

Risu,

I agree.

The last 5 weeks have brought deep shifts inside my mind. My doubts are gone. My eyes are to the future now and I am gathering backbone and grit for the task. I really do think the Progesterone kicked in a whole new set of neurological circuits deep in my brain.

Parts of my female brain were freeze-dried by testosterone poisoning. Progesterone seems to be like hot water on a powdered soup mix. A month ago, I had a pile of dried noodles and powder sitting in the middle of my brain. Now there is broth, spices, chunks of vegetables and thick noodles swimming around in there...YUMMY!

You know I ain't no doctor, so take what I say with a grain of salt, Lacey....but...

It seems to me that some of the things that Risu and I are describing are some of the very things that you have been seeking in previous posts. Maybe it is worth reconsidering?

I can't help but remember that your doctor just recently discovered that your spiro levels have been insufficient to block your T effectively all along. After two years she is just noticing this? Please don't get mad at me for saying it, but if I were in the same situation as you are, I'd be reconsidering those issues...

Perhaps a slight tweaking is in order? I dunno, I'm no doctor...

Love and love and more love, dearest Lacey!

Your friend, Svenna

Awesome post !!!

I just started HRT and I have been perscribed Progesterone too. I just started this week. I'm sorry that I can't give much input on my own experience yet, but it was real nice to see the topic come up. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Rea

• Admin

Please remember that dosages are off limits here, and that no one is in a contest with their hormones. By all means explore your medical options with your doctors and offer them suggestions, but in the end honor their advice.

Guest Elizabeth K

Yes - HRT since December 2008 - also on Progesterone10 days a month . I have had significant breast development (about a C cup now and still growing) - but YMMV - I am not certain it was the progesterone.

And Progesterone DOES make you extremely moody - usually just a sadness.

Lizzie

Guest AlyTheGreatAngel

Oops I forgot to mention i've been on HRT for 34 months, the progesterone is just new. It will be for 3 months and if there is serious side effects or no growth ill stop. With my doctor supervising of course. Thanks for everyones comments and such!

Guest Lacey Lynne

Many doctors get stuck in old ways and don't keep up with modern trends. She's probably thinking about progestins, which is what they used to give people, not bio-identical progesterone (i.e. prometrium) that we have today. Progestins have a much higher occurrence of side effects. Also progestorone, like any hormone, affects a LOT of different things, not just cycles. My endocrinologist (who also teaches are Dartmouth Medical School) wasn't convinced either, but he saw no harm in it either. Because of his flexibility I, and many others, have benefitted.

Leah:

Yes, I actually agree that my doctor is old-fashioned and very set in her ways. As far as progesterone benefitting people like us, I'm still not convinced that it does. That's just me. I could be wrong; however, I have no desire to be on it. Guess I'm old-fashioned too in some ways.

Thanks for the input!

OK, folks!

This discussion got me to wondering about breast growth rates without and with progesterone...

Well, I knew I was getting even bigger in da boobies an' such since adding it to my regime, so I broke out the measuring tape and got to work...

I have grown a full INCH of additional bust in the last 5 weeks. I checked it several times, no mistake...

This represents a DOUBLING of the breast growth rate since starting HRT...

I am heading towards B cup territory now!!!!

YMMV, but IF it works for you, it works!!

Giddily, Svenna

Guest Leah1026

I was doing some research this morning for a question someone else asked me when I came across some information pertinent to this thread. The new Standards of Care (Version 7) actually discusses hormone regimens and does mention progesterone, on page 48, as being possibly beneficial.
Guest Lacey Lynne

Far out!

Okay, cool. I'm hip. Get high.

Is there a doctor in the house? Holmes, write me for some progesterone, because I'm game! Heck, at my age, why not?

Peace :friends: Lacey

Right On...

Let's live and learn...

It took about two weeks into the progesterone before the burning and itching an' twitchin' began, the last three weeks have been like 'whoosh, here they come!'...

They actually have some serious weight to 'em now, too. My neck is sore in a place it has never hurt before. If I hold up my boobies, the pain stops! Also, it is almost impossible to sleep on my belly now, not with those puppies on my chest...

These are firsts that every teenage girl gets to experience. Going through this now is like heaven to me. Remember just about 2 months ago when I was freaking out because my boobs were getting noticeable? I'm busting out of my shirt now and I just feel great about it. Bring it on!!

Pre-P, I wasn't as well settled in for the ride psychologically or maybe even neurologically. It is 'all systems go' now..

I'll go as far as this train can go. I'm all in..

Love and Wonderment, Svenna

OMG!!!!

I did a whole body measure session just now again, cuz I'm spellbound..

I actually am a 'B cup' now....:) :) :)

I'm a little short on the right side, but baby, on the left, I have a little to spare!

This stuff may not be magic, but sometimes it seems like it. Pinch me, please!

Can't give progesterone all the credit, but it seems like a big coincidence to me...

BTW, for those that don't already know, I have an intersex condition, so my HRT results are unusually fast for somebody my age. Your mlileage may vary...

It s a good life after all, Svenna

Svenna, your last post really has me grinning. I've experienced the same lately with the Progesterone. Unfortunately for me it's the right one that had a sudden growth spurt and the left is playing catch up! It's true, they really can be different sizes! I hope it corrects itself soon but all in all I am thrilled with the growth and the changes. Not busting out of any shirts yet but it's so nice to be fuller than a AA cup. I'd say I'm a full A now on my way to B. It sucks I still have to live in boy mode and don't get to enjoy them much. I miss putting on my bra every day. Hopefully in the next 6 months or so. By this time next year I think I will be more than ready for full time and hopefully they will have grown a lot by then!

Thank you for sharing this Svenna. Good to know I'm not alone.

*hugs*

~Jade.

Okay, So I have been on progesterone for about a week. That's all I have been on, no other hormones so far. So, I have noticed little buds forming and tenderness behind the nipple. My energy has gone down but I haven't had a lot of mood swings yet. I can see where people have gained weight on this. I get some wicked cravings for sweets and other junk food.

Rea

Guest Lacey Lynne

What a stone-cold gas!

Svenna, Dolly Parton LOVES you, honey ... and so do we!!!

Well, I'm a B+ cup without progesterone, but whose gonna write it for me? My HRT refuses to. Guess I gotta shop around, but I hate to do that now, because I'm gonna move at the end of the summer. However, how easy is it to find somebody? Around here, probably fairly easy. I'm gonna try.

Didn't Lizzie say she's on progesterone 10 days a month? Natal-girl menses trip? Sounds like it. Heck, most women her age and my age are long since status post hysterectomy. Believe me, I know. I've typed a doo-doo load of 'em in my time (hysterectomy surgical procedures, that is).

Far out! Great thread.

Peace :friends: Lacey