• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming Out To Friends

Guest JordynK

Guest JordynK

So I'm a long time admirer/reader of these forums, but this is my first time actually making a username and posting. I recently started seeing a gender therapist, who gave me my referral for HRT on my first appointment! Exciting news, and this had given me the kick I needed to come out to my friends. I'm 21, and have had the same close friends since high school. I've always hid who I was around them, but felt that they sort of knew something was up. Still, I was very nervous about coming out to them. After I had my blood work done and scheduled an informational session for the hormones, I decided I would do it. I made some calls to my closest friends, dreading I would lose some, and explained what I have been going through, what choices I'm making, and that I was sorry I didn't tell them before, but also why I didn't say anything previously. To the rest of my friends, and being the coward I am (at least that's why I think I chose to do it this way), I made a long Facebook post addressed to them all.

After all was said and done, however, the only reactions I have received have been extremely positive. Each and every one has been very accepting, and proud that I am doing what is best for me, no matter how I think others will react. I have gotten so much love after coming out, and I can't think of a time in my life I have been happier with who I am.

What I'm trying to say is I know that coming out to family can be very difficult (I am trying to figure out on my own how to come out to them), coming out to friends can be just as difficult if you are extremely close with them as I am. What you need to keep in mind is that in the end, if they don't accept you, or they make derogatory comments, they really weren't that great of a friend in the first place. And in that sense, I don't know why I didn't say anything sooner.