• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Alcohol and Estrogen?

Guest JordynK

Guest JordynK

So I just started Estrogen today, and a few friends want me to come out drinking with them for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow. My doctor said for the Estrogen to take it sublingually so it goes straight into the bloodstream and pretty much bypasses the liver.

I won't be able to get a hold of the doctor until Monday to ask, so I'll see what kind of opinions I can get here. I don't drink much when I do go out, and I only go out and drink very rarely.

Do you think it would be alright if I just had a couple drinks or should I play it safe and have some water or something instead? I don't want to do anything that can mess this up.

Guest Elizabeth K

We are not doctors - so all we can relate is personal experience here.

I started HRT December of 2008 and I worried about what alcohol consumption does in conjunction with estrogen, especially. We who are on HRT are putting demands on our liver and we are tested very closely to see how we tolerate all these new, rather powerful drugs, Are they going to compete? Well yes, a bit I think - processing alcohol takes away from processing estrogen (and all the t blockers too) .but just for that time you are drinking

I tested out fine as it turns out - good liver function.

Two things did happen with the alcohol question? I stopped getting as 'looped' as I would do when 'male" (I was so unhappy before) because it was no longer necessary to escape reality. And after about a year I discovered that being chemically female? I was a cheap drunk. So I severely cut back - first as common sense - and second because I had to. Men and women apparently process alcohol differently, another one of those 'duh' moments.

If you decide to drink? Drink in moderation and that is good advice for everyone. Partying is now a bit different - a celebration of our new life - it seems a shame to not enjoy ever second of it.

Lizzy

Guest JordynK

Yeah, I'm definitely going to take it easy if I even do drink in the first place. I might just hold off until I can talk to my doctor on Monday just to be safe. Thanks, Lizzy!

• Admin

Like Lizzy said, we're not doctors. But I have an occasional glass of wine with dinner, and drink socially on occasion, and have not noticed any problems. My blood tests have always come back fine.

As in all things, YMMV. Just don't overdo it, and be careful of any drink that's green.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

• 3 weeks later...

Alcohol and estrogen follow different metabolic pathways in the liver. Depending on your genetic and racial background, alcohol is metabolized via the enzyme alcohol Dehydrogenase. Native American Indians have a low production of this enzyme. Estrogen is metabolyzed by the the P450 cytochrome. Alcohol is also metabolyzed differently among the sexes. Genetic males have more muscle and less body fat and genetic females have a higher body fat and lower muscle mass. Muscle tends to aid in the breakdown of alcohol. Genetic males tend to burn alcohol faster than genetic females. Alcohol is a form similar in chemical struckture to sugar. Moderate consumption of alcohol with estrogen will not affect the liver any more than moderate consumption of alcohol and testosterone on the liver. Moderate being the optimal word Body Size matters as well. Most male bodies with normal muscle mass will metabolize one drink per hour. Most females with normal fat ratio, about half the rate of a male. Avoid drinks with sweetened soft drinks.. Sugar will affect metabolization. Stick to 10 ounces of beer per hour to hour and half and switch to ice water after 3 to 4 drinks as alcohol is a dehydrant as it is a diuretic, Hangovers are due as much to dehydration as the alcohol. Hope this answers the question. Katheryn