• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

GT in Lancaster, Ca?

Guest JessicaM1985

Guest JessicaM1985

Hi, I'm looking for a gender therapist that is able to get me started on HRT. Google has yielded only one GT in my area and after corresponding, she has stated that she is available for counseling, but is unable to prescribe HRT. I'm kind of at a loss since I'm unable to drive all the way to Los Angeles or San Fernando just to get an HRT script. Any help at all would be appreciated... :)

• Admin

Not to throw cold water on you Jessica, but in California, a non MD therapist cannot prescribe medications of any sort. I may even know who you talked to there in Lancaster by the way. You will not be able to get even a San Fernando or L.A. GT to actually write the script. The best any of them can do here in the sunshine state is to give you a letter to take to an endocrinologist who will work with your family or personal MD to provide the HRT. They will probably only require one or at most two trips to the Endo at about 2 to three month intervals. I have several friends in the Palmdale area, and one in the city of Boron, and they have all had to get the actual meds prescribed from some down the hill doctors.

On the social side, look-up the Antelope Valley OUTreach Center which is the GLBT community center, they do sponsor a group called Trans-Interactions http://www.outreachcenterav.org/

Guest JessicaM1985

So then I would have to go see this doctor and have her refer me to the endo and then a physician for the script? I can do that provided it stays here in the lancaster/palmdale area. My car is a far cry from being able to make it down the hill and unless it's on spring break, I just don't have the time to take a metrolink all the way to the valley for a doctor appt.

*sigh*

Something tells me I'll have to go down the hill, and that I'll end up missing some class just to go do it.... :(

• Admin

Sorry to say it, but that is how it will have to be. Do however try to get in touch with the transgender group Trans-Interactions through OUTreach. Its listed on the OUT reach webpage under programs. There is a Saturday evening meeting once a month, and they join in 'eat outs' with the rest of the OUTreach group on other nights of the month.

Guest JessicaM1985

Ah, I know some people that volunteer there (including a cute guy that I dated for a bit. ;) )

Susan is a great lady and does a lot for the LGBT community out here. I'll try and talk to a few people there and see what further help I can get. Thanks Vicki! :D

• Admin

Jessica, I know Kate Vasquez of Trans Interactions, and she is excellent. If you happen to see her, tell her I said hi.

Carolyn Marie