• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Is my voice dreadful?

Guest Madison_Always

Guest Madison_Always

Um this is me being all super self conscious. I got a comment on a youtube video asking "why do I talk like that?" Leading me to believe I sound bad. I know my voice is high pitched and on the minnie mouse side, but I really thought I was making progress. =( Please let me know what you think, and any advice or tips on sounding more passable are whole-heartedly welcome. Thanks so much,

Madison

The link url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkphjRVjWWM

Guest Jenth

Progress? Certainly. Final voice? Probably not. Any pointers? Well truth is you sound like me when I've lost my voice and need to be heard over a din, so I'm thinking you're missing the majority of the voice. In theatre we talk alot about head voice and chest voice, and it pretty much boils down to girl's use head voice and guys use chest voice. But what does that mean? Well place your hand on your chest and hum. Don't hum "like a girl" just hum. Feel that vibration in your chest? Now talk while humming. Does that voice sound familiar? Deep and foreboding isn't it? well that's your chest voice, and the one you use as a guy generally. It has a better projection and at first it'll allow you to talk longer. It also feels easier to use. But that's because you're probably psyching yourself out. Now while humming move that vibration from your chest to the top of your adam's apple or larynx. maintain it until you have the feel for it, then talk while humming like that. hear that? that's your head voice. but you can't always hum just before you speak so you'll have to learn to start with the vibrations there. work on it, but think of it as more of a humming exercise than a pitch one. Another difference between girl and guy voices is "round tones" the best explanation I can give is watch Singing in the Rain, when the movie star girl with the horrid voice is taking voice lessons and the voice teacher says something about rolling r's and goes through a voice exercise, give that a try. Ummm let's see.... from what I'm hearing (and one of the reasons you should work your humming voice to me) the main thing you seem to be missing is timbre. You've been working pitch rather than voice. To be honest soprano isn't the goal target for a good passable voice, you should be shooting more for a mid alto or high tenor with soft round tones and without mumbling.

Work on the humming, and try not to psych yourself out. A slightly deep voice is better than a super high squeaky one.

Good luck,

Heathy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LMTaylor

Wow, Heathy, those are some great pointers! My voice is also rather deep to the point that I thought I'd need surgery to correct it (I can't even hit those soprano notes...) But I just tried some of your pointers and I really do see a difference!

Thanks,

Lisa