• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Top Surgery Tomorrow

Guest J-Walker

Guest J-Walker

So I'm super excited. Tomorrow I will get my deadly chesticles removed once and for all. I've gotten an approximation of how long it will take to recover but I'm curious to hear from the guys who have had it. I've been told I will be housebound for a month but I feel I might go crazy under these restraints. Did anyone find this to be true? And what did you guys do while you were recovering?

I'll be sure to post anything anyone wants to know about the surgery once I return home on Thursday. Or once I feel capable of moving. XD

holy smokes! Congrats! definitely let us know how goes it.

yeah..im with Evan.. cant help ya with this one....

hope the guys who've had top done log today...

Ray

Guest StrandedOutThere

Congratulations! I haven't had my surgery yet...not until December.

I've been researching it a lot and no one has said they were totally homebound for a month. From what people are telling me, you feel like total crap for about a week, then you are a little better the next week...and the next...so on. You do have to take it easy for about 4 to 6 weeks, so no going to the gym or lifting stuff that weighs more than 20 pounds.

That's what I'm told. I don't have any firsthand experience though. Sorry.

Guest J-Walker

Yeah, I decided to delay starting T so that I wouldn't build up any excessive body fat while resting. And I suppose it's like any surgery. I don't mind waiting to return to the gym, but I am curious to know if I can do aerobic excercising (My mother tells me I shouldn't until the month is up, but she doesn't have first hand experience either, of course) or leave the house and even just walk around with friends, do errands, that crap. I guess I'll figure that out soon enough though. :P

And thanks for you guys! I'll keep you posted definitely. I need a place to post up all of the unsightly pictures I want to take anyway. XD

Guest jantonio

Congrats JWalker!!!! :D

I am having mine done in January so please keep us posted on how it goes. I recommend you speak with your Dr. to see what he/she recommends. Just make sure you don't strain that area at all, so if you are going to do some exercise maybe walking would be better since it doesn't require upper body work. Anyway good luck man.

congrats man! :D that's super awesome for you. it took maybe a little more than a month before i was fully back to myself...maybe longer. but just moving around took less than a month. my experiences won't be the same as yours though, i'd say just take it as it comes and do what you feel comfortable doing.

Definately check with the Doc regarding the weight you can lift. I had a test -heart catheter- in May and it was just a test, they said I could drive and whatnot in 4 day but I couldn't lift anything over 10 pounds for 2weeks. I figure a test is significantly less affecting than this? So ask.

Guest CharlieRose

Oh, wow, awesome! I'm curious about the time spent resting, too. I would totally go insane just like, staying in my house for more than a week!

Guest Andreas

Congrats!

Let us know how it goes!

As for recovery time, it really took me less time than I thought it would. I did have motion restrictions for six weeks (split into, "Don't lift anything more than 10 pounds!" for the first three weeks and, "No strenuous exercise," for the next three), but I didn't feel sore or weird that whole time. The restrictions are so you don't screw anything up, because chances are you will feel reasonably ok fairly soon. I was off pain meds altogether four days post op (and when I was on them, it was only tylenol, since the vicodin made me really sick, and I didn't need it anyway). I was prone to random naps for the first five days or so, and was pretty tired for the next week, but not incapacitatingly so. You probably won't be able to move your arms very much for several weeks, so don't try! But as for pain, if you're anything like I was, it will not take over your life. You will definitely be able to get out of the house, particularly once your drains are out. (You can go out of the house sooner, but it feels pretty icky to be walking around with drains hanging out of you.)

Guest silverpetals

hope i'm not too late to wish you the best of luck, and a swift recovery.

and i hope you're pleased with the results as well - though it may not be so great for the first day or two...

Good luck! Best thing I ever did.

My recovery was as follows:

After 2 days I stopped using pain pills

After 3 days I used the bathroom and dressed by myself (even if a little gimpy and painful)

After 1 week I started driving

After 2 weeks I started 'light' cardio workouts (shh... don't tell my doc, they were actually moderate)

After 4 weeks I started range of motion lifting exercises

After 6 weeks I started going as hard as I possibly could to make my muscles bigger :-)

After 6 months, my chest finally looked completely settled

After 7 months, I'm regaining sensation in the nipples

MK

Guest TasMan99

lol omg this thing wouldn't let me post anything until just now. but, anyway

congrats about the up coming event! you are a hero among us all, and you know it.

for all of those who have or are in the process of getting their surgeries or are on hormones could you please please please please contact me like ASAP! not only am i going through everything (and at a freakishly slow phase due to my state is so dumb its not even funny) but i'm also making a new website so that the future us (:) ) will be able to find EVERYTHING that you could possibly think of regarding hormones, srs, laws, you name it. and i really need the input as fast as humanly possible. so, if you can give me names, addresses, phone numbers, whatever for your doc's and even your own personal info (but, its not needed. and note this will be posted on the web so think carefully) i'd love it to death!

congrats again love, you'll make the perfect man, as will the rest of us lol

thanks!

tas

• Root Admin

Hello TasMan99,

Most of the info you seek is here in the forums or listed on the site main page. We discourage anyone from giving out personal information for their own safety. The world is full of predators. I hope you understand.

MaryEllen

not only am i going through everything (and at a freakishly slow phase due to my state is so dumb its not even funny)

i know where you're coming from. you're in ohio, yes? the greater part of my transition took place there...aggravating. shoot me a PM if you'd like.

• 2 weeks later...