• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

mental break down in soberity

Guest lmgaetjens

Guest lmgaetjens

IM curious have others experanced a mental breakdown in soberity?

like a blackout or panic attack that led to legal issues, jail or detransition due to jail

just curious i feel i had some injustices done with my trans issues / legal issues while in custody

• Admin

Alcohol in conjunction with the types of medication used for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder in any of its variations is a potentially deadly combination, and can lead to many behaviors that can result in detention for public and personal safety reasons for extended time periods. The detention is not so much punishment for a crime, but for treatment of the underlying MI. The Standards Of Care for transgendered people carefully point out that a full assessment, and care of behavioral disorders needs to take place either before or at the time of beginning transition and HRT. If you were incarcerated for an alcohol related offense while on psychiatric medications and on HRT, and feel that there was an irregularity in your treatment while in custody, you need to see an attorney who is specialized in the rights of inmates.

Guest Emily Ray

I have! About a year into sobriety from a meth addiction I had a period of intense disphoria that led to my being placed on a stay of commitment for 6 months.

It is hard to comment about the specifics of your case because you don't really go into any depth, but it is considered cruel and unusual punishment to stop hormones during a period of incarceration. If you were at a mental health facility and they didn't have a court order allowing them to force you to take medications and refused to allow you to continue taking your hormones I think you where wronged and need to speak to an attorney. There is a legal concept known as "deliberate indiference" and if they deliberatly were indiferent to the suffering that they were causing you they should be held accountable.

Huggs

Emily