• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Progesterone (Medroxyprogesterone)...

Guest Nicole163

Guest Nicole163

Hey all!

Soooo...my doc put me on Prog recently about 2 weeks ago adding it to my HRT regimen. I know we can't talk about specific dosages here but it was a bit high, roughly 3 times the average dosage. After about a week I started feeling like a basket case. CRAZY mood swings...severe hot flashes, insomnia, weird food cravings...all that? She wanted to add it as it may help supress a stubborn T count (and all the other theoretic benefits)...needless to stay I stopped taking it a few days before I went in to see her because of how it was making me feel.

So, she wanted me to reduce the dosage to something not as aggressive (minimal dosage) and do that for a month hoping that it would balance itself out, any other negative side effects such as and I stop taking it, and call her...

So, my question to you all is...has anyone experienced side effects like I mentioned here? Did they go away? Did you just stop taking it? Just curious but thanks in advance <3

Nikki

Guest Melanie54

My endo just uses progesterone to suppress the T. I went through the whole... Crazy mood swings and just generally being crazy lol. It did die down after a bit. =)

Madison

I been on and off progesterone for years at a time. The only effect I ever linked to Progesterone was hot flashes, but they didn't show up for a couple years. Probably related to a change in the Estrogen. In any case they weren't severe and I can't say that the progesterone made any difference as far as emotional well being or effectiveness of hormones. I am currently off Progesterone as my current doc saw no point in it.

Guest Leah1026
Soooo...my doc put me on Prog recently about 2 weeks ago adding it to my HRT regimen. I know we can't talk about specific dosages here but it was a bit high, roughly 3 times the average dosage. After about a week I started feeling like a basket case. CRAZY mood swings...severe hot flashes, insomnia, weird food cravings...all that? She wanted to add it as it may help supress a stubborn T count (and all the other theoretic benefits)...needless to stay I stopped taking it a few days before I went in to see her because of how it was making me feel.

Many people have this kind of problem with that product. It is a progestin and not real progesterone (similar, but different). Many people also experience severe anxiety and suicidal ideation. A better alternative is a bioidentical, micronized progesterone like Prometrium. It has a track record of being tolerated much better than what you're on.

Guest Lacey Lynne

I been on and off progesterone for years at a time. The only effect I ever linked to Progesterone was hot flashes, but they didn't show up for a couple years. Probably related to a change in the Estrogen. In any case they weren't severe and I can't say that the progesterone made any difference as far as emotional well being or effectiveness of hormones. I am currently off Progesterone as my current doc saw no point in it.

Drea's quotation is nearly word-for-word what my prescribing HRT doctor says about progesterone. She basically says the benefits are nearly nil, the risks are high and that this particular hormone is of aid only to native females regarding their menses. She's right. Won't go into the particulars here.

Heck, I've asked her 3 times to prescription medroxyprogesterone for me, but she refuses to write it for anybody. She treats THOUSANDS of MTF transsexuals (and is one herself). Actually, she's being a good doctor.

Peace :friends: Lacey

Guest Donna Jean

I was first on Prometrium and felt pretty good...I didn't get too crazy..and I didn't notice any physical benefits...

For the last year and a half I was on medroxyprogesterone and it made me crazy...and I didn't notice any physical benefits with that either...I asked my doc to take me off of it...

Dee Jay

Guest Nicole163

Wow, thankies for the feed back everyone.

I may consider switching to Prometrium if I'm still having issues on this reduced dosage. Although, she has me maxed out on T blockers, now on max E dosage she'll do so...ya. The main goal here is to use what is possible to further reduce T levels. I'm currently on the cocktail of Estradiol, Medroxyprogesterone, Spiro, and Finasteride. She eluded to the idea I may have some kind of intersex condition based on physical observation, lab work, and various other things and may be getting me tested to find out specifically...she's "consulting" with other doctors on their team and will get back to me. Its odd because my spouse actually mentioned the idea that could be a possibility not long ago and I sort of dismissed it as craziness but the more I look at it, it could be a possibility. There are a lot of things that just aren't typical with me physically, or chemically. I'm always a skeptic, but I would not be suprised to find out I am.

The prog dosage I was on made me so miserable, though. I'm feeling like any change from what I was on is a good change...

• Admin

I hate to say this just this way, but we are a whole big population of lab rats at the minute. Last September I was at an international conference on Transgender Issues and the head pharmacist from a major TG health care facility flat out said to about 900 people that a single notebook would be sufficient to hold ALL of the bona fide, scientific level research on cross gender hormones that had passed full peer review and follow-up research and calibration. Hopefully, all of our doctors have some way of participating in and contributing to research into these medications. I am waiting for my own fur to get white, and my tail to grow, but at the minute, its only my whiskers that are a problem. My medical plan does carry on its own research, and I have given them permission to add my various lab results to their common store of information, and I am happy to do that. My own regimen at the minute is actually a very low dose of E and Spiro (which is primarily for diuretic use for my blood pressure) and I am doing well enough that I am happy with my changes and mental improvements that I value the most.

For the biggest boobs in the world, just look at Washington DC, they are all on the floor of the House Of Representatives.