• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

My First GT Appointment

Guest Nicole Thrace

Guest Nicole Thrace

Went to my first GT appointment today and WOW!!

I started off so nervous that I felt like I might throw up. When it was all done I felt like I had known the therapist for years.

Everything just seems so strange.. I have went from hateing myself because I am trans to accepting myself for who I am. Now I find myself wanting SRS so I can feel whole.

Right now the only real down thing is my wife has said if I get SRS we will get a divorce. I love her very much but I really don't want to stay in a male body. This is something my GT said we will talk about..just kinda sucks is all.

I have another appointment for next week and I can't wait.

Thanks,

Nicole

Nicole,

Congrats!!!!

Yes, yes, yes...:)

About your wife and SRS, if I may?

Go VERY slowly. It is FAR too soon to really know where your therapy and treatment will end up, so try to avoid 'coming to conclusions' prematurely. Your life with your wife hangs in the balance, so move very, very slowly. There will be plenty of time for the BIG decisions later, when your perspective isn't so raw and new. This will all take a LOT of time, so do not be in a hurry, haste is your enemy! I know it FEELS like you have been waiting a lifetime already, and you have, BUT for your wife, this is JUST NOW becoming real. She will need a LOT of time and LOVE before she sees anything like what you are seeing already...

Go slow, and you might save your marriage. Go fast and get ready to say 'goodbye'...;(

I am SOOOOO glad you are getting the therapy YOU need. Please remember that your wife will need just as much therapy, love and support as you do, maybe more...

Hoping for the BEST for all involved, Svenna

• Forum Moderator

Just have to say you experience so much relief when these issues are brought out with someone that "get's it".

Best of luck with the next session(s) Nicole.

Cindy -

Guest Robin Winter

I know just how you feel :) My first GT appointment was the beginning of my climb out of a very deep pit, and even though I was scared out of my mind it was also one of my most amazing experiences.

• Admin

Congrats, Nicole! It's terrific that you and your therapist hit it off so well. That bodes well for the future.

I have to agree with Svenna on her advice to "go slow." You may end up transitioning and getting SRS and all the rest, but if you want your marriage to survive, you need to bring your wife along on your journey, and she may not want to transition at the same pace you do. Those are the kinds of issues your therapist will help you with.

Best of luck.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Congratz, Hon........

Yes, the "baby step" method has been proven to be the most workable......And gives our relationships the best chances.....

Good on you!

Huggs

Dee Jay

Guest Nicole Thrace

A BIG Hug and a BIG Thank You for the advice and support!! :)

I am not going to let my marriage of 18 yrs go down with out a fight!

Nicole

A BIG Hug and a BIG Thank You for the advice and support!! :)

I am not going to let my marriage of 18 yrs go down with out a fight!

Nicole

Nicole,

My spouse and I have been at it for almost 17 years now, and we are still together 5 months into 'our' transition. It is a tooth and nail struggle almost every day, but so far, so good. I believe it CAN be done, I believe we can make it over the obstacles and into a happier future. I really do...

But, dang, it is a LOT of hard work. So many hurt feelings, misunderstandings, awkward moments and a whole lotta stuff I don't know what to say about, lol..

BUT, we CAN do it, somehow, some way...

Once you are 'out' to yourself, the rest seems inevitable. But it will take a lot of time to get the rest of the planet on board with you. So settle in, take a breath, and get ready for the emotional roller-coaster ride of your life. :)

Hang on, sister, hang on!

:) Svenna